Will I see much of a difference upgrading my setup but sticking with console?

I've been SimRacing for about a year now. My setup consists of the Thrustmaster TS-XW with T3PA pedals and the TH8A shifter. I'm using the Playseat Evolution chair with two buttkickers installed. Forza 7 and F1 2019 are the two games I play.

I've only ever played with my XBox hooked up to my TV. I don't own a gaming PC.

I'm wanting to take things to the "next level", and I'm considering upgrading to the Fanatec DD1, Club Sport Pedals V3 Inverted, etc - all the high end Fanatec stuff. Will I notice much of a difference with the direct drive setup if I stay with XBox though?

The reason I'm trying to hold off on a simracing PC is because I don't want my wife getting frustrated with my hobby. It's not a financial issue, it's more of an "availability" issue. Right now my sim racing setup stays in the room next to our living room/kitchen area. When I want to race, I drag it out to the living room right in front of the TV, I bring the XBox in, and I hook everything up in 5 minutes. She hangs out on the couch and does her thing on the iPad while watching my races a little bit, and even though it's a bit of a stretch, we are still kind of spending time together. We talk in between my races, I ask her what she is watching on her iPad, etc. When I'm done racing, it only takes a few minutes to "clean up" the living room again.

If I move to a PC and triple screen setup, that would all go downstairs in a dedicated "racing room", and I wouldn't see her or spend any time interacting with her while racing. This would likely mean less time racing, or me feeling slightly guilty about the amount of time I do race.

So is spending $2600 on high-end Fanatec gear a waste if I'm stuck with the physics of Forza/F1 on XBox?

Thanks!

I've been SimRacing for about a year now. My setup consists of the Thrustmaster TS-XW with T3PA pedals and the TH8A shifter. I'm using the Playseat Evolution chair with two buttkickers installed. Forza 7 and F1 2019 are the two games I play.

I'm wanting to take things to the "next level", and I'm considering upgrading to the Fanatec DD1, Club Sport Pedals V3 Inverted, etc - all the high end Fanatec stuff. Will I notice much of a difference with the direct drive setup if I stay with XBox though?

The reason I'm trying to hold off on a simracing PC is because I don't want my wife getting frustrated with my hobby. It's not a financial issue, it's more of an "availability" issue. Right now my sim racing setup stays in the room next to our living room/kitchen area. When I want to race, I drag it out to the living room right in front of the TV, I bring the XBox in, and I hook everything up in 5 minutes. She hangs out on the couch and does her thing on the iPad while watching my races a little bit, and even though it's a bit of a stretch, we are still kind of spending time together. We talk in between my races, I ask her what she is watching on her iPad, etc. When I'm done racing, it only takes a few minutes to "clean up" the living room again.

If I move to a PC and triple screen setup, that would all go downstairs in a dedicated "racing room", and I wouldn't see her or spend any time interacting with her while racing. This would likely mean less time racing, or me feeling slightly guilty about the amount of time I do race.

So is spending $2600 on high-end Fanatec gear a waste if I'm stuck with the physics of Forza/F1 on XBox?

Thanks!
In 2011, I bought my first console--an Xbox 360-- along with a Fanatec Forza wheel and ClubSport pedals back and built an aluminum profile racing rig just to play F1 2011. I just built my first PC for triples last week, and I fully expect my wife (married in 2017) to take part in some of the racing.

I pray you might be able to engage in this hobby together with your wife.

Upvote 0
A really cheap upgrade you could do for your sim racing is to pick up a copy of Assetto Corsa. You’ll get a lot better FFB and handling and find the whole experience more immersive. Assetto Corsa Competizione is coming out in a couple months on Xbox as well.

I wouldn’t recommend spending that much on hardware if your playing on an Xbox. I was in a similar situation to yours recently and made the choice to upgrade to PC but keep my Thrustmaster hardware and I’ve been happy with that.

Upvote 0

Thanks!
F1 would be a lot better but Forza, with the limited FFB options on console is not going to make much difference.

Upvote 0
Funnily enough I am sort of in the same situation at home, used to have a dedicated room for my sim racing gear.
Circumstances have now made me have the rig in the main sitting room, at first, was not impressed.
Eventually I realised the the space my sim rig takes up I never used , i now do not notice it. Yes I know it’s the elephant in the room.
I live in a smallish flat, space is a premium, but I can and the wife can easily live with it.
I have a full 8020 sim rig with PC.
my be not your bag, but entirely possible.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 102 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 183 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 360 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing