Will a run-off ruin Parabolica?

That's right. And I'm trying to understand how many others exist. Or find out that I'm mistaken and that F1 is fine. What's wrong with that? As far as the latter is concerned, I haven't heard an argument so far.

(Speaking of forcing people, if enough people stopped watching F1, the resulting TV ratings would essentially force the governing body to make some changes, hopefully for the best. Now that's forcing.)

So, I was randomly wandering around RD when I unfortunately stumbled upon the "will the Parabolica be ruined" thread. I was shocked to discover that many people didn't mind the vandalism that occurred, and that a few more actually approved of it!

Look, I'm no alien, but I sim-race a lot, and if you know even a little about F1, then you'll know that if you put slightly more throttle than perfect at the exit of that corner you're out, and if you do it perfectly you get an orgasm. Now there is simply no skill involved (and thus no orgasms).

And people are still watching F1! Seriously guys? You're watching a championship where cars are shaped like penises and vacuum cleaners, the outcome of which will possibly be decided by blind luck. Can someone please point out where the "pinnacle of motorsport" is? I can't seem to find it. The WEC might as well be the pinnacle; it's more creative, more interesting, and the cars are ****ing pretty. I hope this video will convince some people to stop watching F1 and at least wait until the Double Points rule is revised in 2015.
(like I do)

Remember anyone?

Look, I know it looks like I'm just insulting people, and I understand that I will be hated for this to a degree, but I'm genuinely interested. Believe me, I love F1 as much as you do, but I don't think this is it. Am I the only one that wants a sport and not a show?!

Good post, F1 is a farce.

You just have to take it for what it is though and it becomes alright from an entertainment perspective.

Don't sit down and watch an F1 race as if you are watching a sport like Rugby or the Olympics, where you expect competition and excitement and the best man wins. Sit down as if you are watching WWE or X-Factor. Laugh at these grown men that are driving cars they have NO idea how to actually operate without help.

Embrace the fact that some rich boy from Germany who's never been to Germany and some little Chav from Stevenage have managed to make one of the biggest corporations in the world look like right mugs with no control. Yet a fizzy drinks company can smash everyone for 4 years.

Yeah, 'cos that^^^^ happens in the 'pinnacle' of motorsport. Drinks companies piss all over century old auto makers.

Double points at the end of the season? Unacceptable to my old outlook, but I've taken on a new one.....If Dan Ricciardo wins it by something like 1 point at the last race and both Mercs dont score, that will be the funniest thing to happen to Formula 1....ever...since 1950.

My point is, you're looking at F1 as motorsport......It's not. If you want motorsport there are many places to go. There are races every weekend in every discipline that are easy to find and watch.

F1 is entertainment. Like a farcical comedy. Just enjoy the laughs. Look at it a different way.

Spot on. But surely you think that can be changed? Surely F1 has got enormous potential.

Amazing designers (yes, in drinks' companies too, so what?), some really talented drivers, shitloads of money, and I could go on. Also, the cars (despite being seconds off the pace, the pace having being set by Rubens and Michael ten years ago) are still, I think, in the pinnacle, light years in front of Le Mans, GTs, and so on.

But I fear you don't share my optimism on this matter.

I just think that it is more down to us and less down to Bernie's lifespan. People can actually change stuff provided they don't put up with it, can they not?

Just my two cents. I always be a fan of F1. And I don't agree with you that it is some kind of fixed show. That being said there is a lot of room for improvement. I like to see cars where the driver can make all the difference. The biggest downside of this season is that Mercedes is far to dominant. You can't blame Mercedes for that but from a fan's point of view it is not so fun to watch. I hope for next season they ban the fuel limitations as far as a max flow per minute. I think an F1 car should be raced at the max of it's potential.

I partly disagree. Yes, I think F1 cars should not be that limited by regulations that much, but there is nothing wrong with one team dominating, whether it is Mercedes, RB, Ferrari, or Renault. If you want equal cars and therefore no innovation or science, you can go ahead and watch Indy-Car or NASCAR, instead of demanding that the (supposed) pinnacle of motorsport should be frozen so you can have a good time.

RoMaN14, Maybe that will sort itself out next season. I think Mercedes did their homework a lot better then the other manufacturers. The problem is that there are not so much possibility's to develop the engine through the season. I would like to see that a bit more.

Well, I like all forms of racing, and while I have a few problems with F1 (mostly the pay drivers and DRS), it is still racing. I am unsure what you are talking about "luck." Maybe you are talking about mechanical reliability? :p

Here's my take on the current formula; These current noses are so different on all the cars, this is the first time in a while that I can tell the difference between the cars! In the past few years, they all looked the same. And these current engines are innovative! Innovation is progression, change, new things. Screaming v12s are not innovative because they have been done already. And the wings are good too, because with the lower down force it is harder for the drivers. In years past, it looked like the cars were glued to the ground and it looked dumb.

But whatever, I know I can't change you opinion so in your mind I look like some sort of dick-shaped car lover that loves the sound of vacuum cleaners :rolleyes:

The thing I hate most in Formula 1 today is the ever growing number of rules and regulations. Take the latest team-radio "ban" as an example. I have no idea what they are trying to achieve with that one. Better show? Better competition? Who knows :whistling:

In my opinion F1 should be about creativity in regards to car building and racing. Today FIA regulates which shape the car must be, which tyres and engine size it must use and what you are allowed to do during race (team-radio, refueling, thank god team orders aren't illegal anymore). Had it always been this way there wouldn't have been 6-wheel Tyrrells, vacuum-Brabhams, turbo-Renaults or other cars that people remember because of their creativity.

I think F1 would be more interesting (and perhaps the field would be more uneven) if teams were actually allowed to design their cars. Just look at WEC, there are three manufacturers with almost completely different approaches and the racing is just awesome.
Add to this different tyre manufacturers and engines of different size (Ferrari running a V12. Renault V6 for example) and freedom of strategy (no refueling ban nor compulsory pit stop crap). Yes, the field would probably be more uneven, particularly the Minardis and Caterhams of the day would be even more slower but I don't think it's that bad thing. There are Indycars and GP2's and other one-make series for that.

My main point however is that race strategy regulations are the biggest turn-off for me in today's F1. Bring back refueling and complete freedom of strategy without complusory tyre compounds and pit stops and I'd be all in :thumbsup:

The thing I hate most in Formula 1 today is the ever growing number of rules and regulations. Take the latest team-radio "ban" as an example. I have no idea what they are trying to achieve with that one. Better show? Better competition? Who knows :whistling:

In my opinion F1 should be about creativity in regards to car building and racing. Today FIA regulates which shape the car must be, which tyres and engine size it must use and what you are allowed to do during race (team-radio, refueling, thank god team orders aren't illegal anymore). Had it always been this way there wouldn't have been 6-wheel Tyrrells, vacuum-Brabhams, turbo-Renaults or other cars that people remember because of their creativity.

I think F1 would be more interesting (and perhaps the field would be more uneven) if teams were actually allowed to design their cars. Just look at WEC, there are three manufacturers with almost completely different approaches and the racing is just awesome.
Add to this different tyre manufacturers and engines of different size (Ferrari running a V12. Renault V6 for example) and freedom of strategy (no refueling ban nor compulsory pit stop crap). Yes, the field would probably be more uneven, particularly the Minardis and Caterhams of the day would be even more slower but I don't think it's that bad thing. There are Indycars and GP2's and other one-make series for that.

My main point however is that race strategy regulations are the biggest turn-off for me in today's F1. Bring back refueling and complete freedom of strategy without complusory tyre compounds and pit stops and I'd be all in :thumbsup:
Yes I wish ;) :/

I am unsure what you are talking about "luck." Maybe you are talking about mechanical reliability? :p [...]

And these current engines are innovative! Innovation is progression, change, new things. Screaming v12s are not innovative because they have been done already. And the wings are good too, because with the lower down force it is harder for the drivers. In years past, it looked like the cars were glued to the ground and it looked dumb.

I'm afraid you completely miss my point. I was talking about the Double Points rule, the biggest deal-breaker of all, without which I would probably still be watching F1. It effectively removes the "sport" label completely and turns the whole thing into a show. The engines turned out to be just fine actually, although they could use 300hp.

Also, innovation is not about new things. It's about new things that are better. The lap record for Monaco is 3 years old (Seb) and the record for Monza is 10 years old (Rubens). The 2014 cars (as far as speed is concerned) are not innovative at all. They're off the bloody pace. Downforce may look "dumb" to you; that is subjective. But it gives a better lap time; which is quite objective.

(By the way, Tapio, I absolutely agree on everything you said.)

I've watched f1 for 14 years now and I find this season to be the best one so far in terms of racing on track. I agree that a lot of the rules are moronic but some other rules have lead to actual racing going on instead of a parade where most of the passing is done through pit strategies as it used to be.

I'm afraid you completely miss my point. I was talking about the Double Points rule, the biggest deal-breaker of all, without which I would probably still be watching F1. It effectively removes the "sport" label completely and turns the whole thing into a show.

i'm following the V8 Supercars championship (Australia) and within the championship they have another championship which is the Pirtek enduro cup, 3 enduro races during the season that are double the points and let me tell you thats where the championship can go either way and its very exciting.

again you will reply thats more of a show then sportmanship and thats where i think your wrong, car racing is all about money (like any other sport) a car manifacturer or an energy dring compagnie doesn,t go in racing for the glory and honnor they go into racing to make money and the FIA and all the other gouverning bodies are there to makes rules and regulations that will make racing as much exciting and close for us to watch so yes racing its a show its there to entertain us, i don't think many people would watch any kind of racing if there was no rules or regulations cause there won't be any show most likely you would have so much difference in performance between the cars that it would be like watching a rally where you watch one car at a time going on the circuit and the one doing the fastest time being the winner.

to the argument that F1 is no longer the pannicle of motorsport again i think your wrong to me there is no car on the planet that uses that much innovative technologies, you have a V6 engine that produce over 600HP that can rev up to 18000 RPM that uses 2 systems of energy recovery and to add to that they uses less fuel then before and the engine are as much rialable then they were 20 years ago so if thats not innovative i don't know what is.

the bottom line is that if they don't have rules and regulations you don't have a show, if you don't have a show you have nobody watching it therefor no money to make it out of it so no F1 or any kind of racing.

i'm following the V8 Supercars championship (Australia) and within the championship they have another championship which is the Pirtek enduro cup, 3 enduro races during the season that are double the points and let me tell you thats where the championship can go either way and its very exciting.

That sounds quite fair and awesome, like the 24h Le Mans race, which also gives double points. The F1 final race though will have normal duration which is very unfair.

And no, F1 should be a sport. "Sport" means, among other things, that the best man wins (not 100% obviously, but usually). This, along with stuff like innovation, competitive spirit (i.e. doing your best to beat whoever is leading, and not "pulling" them back with new regulations every year), and many others, should not be sacrificed for even more money. Besides, competition at the highest level is always exciting to watch.

Also, for the last time, the new engine may be new, but it is not, in any way except environmentally, better. If you still fail to grasp this, imagine giving the teams a choice to run either the 2013 or the 2014 engine. What do you think the choice of every team would be? Same goes for wings, exhausts, etc.

Watching the F1 build-up now. Got the same buzz as always. Not many feelings in the world like this.

Enjoy whatever you'll be doing. :sneaky:

Yeah, whatever I'll be doing will probably not involve watching cars that are slower than the one in your profile pic, so yeah, I'm a big loser.

Just know that you are never going to make the world any better if you put up with everyone's ****. I hope you do realize that it is you who gives them money and no one else. I never said "Never watch F1", because I really love it too. All I'm saying is make it better by not putting up with them. Just don't watch it now. It is doable, you know.

Just know that you are never going to make the world any better if you put up with everyone's ****. I hope you do realize that it is you who gives them money and no one else. I never said "Never watch F1", because I really love it too.

Are we really mixing the concepts "making the world better" with "watching/not watching F1"? Seriously?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back