Will a run-off ruin Parabolica?

I have no critisicm of the SBK, in the bike racing world there is no question in my mind that the run off material in no way devalues their courage - MotoGP & SBK riders, and all tiers down are brave competitors.

But in F1 (& 4 wheel racing in general), for me the biggest disappointment caused by these runoffs is the reduction of risk of retirement in the driver's mind. I am absolutely in favour of safety measures, but the modern F1 driver is now able to take significantly higher risk than ever before when approaching these historically dangerous turns, safe in the knowledge that they can simply run wide and get back on the track, having lost, at worst, just a couple of places - Any risk of a race retirement has been taken away.

At the pinnacle of motor racing, the drivers ability to drive to the limit without damaging or retiring the car, SHOULD be tested, as much as the teams ability to provide a winning car. Unfortunately, today's F1 results are more dependant on the team than the driver.

Instead of removing gravel and replacing it with tarmac, there really needs to be something that either drags the car down to a crawl, or some risk that they might not even get back on track. Then we might once again see only the best drivers pushing the limits and taking risks on these historically dangerous bends.

For example, in this day and age there must surely be an electronic device that can limit the engine when it goes off the track, or maybe even kill the engine. These options need to be investigated if the driver is to be brought back into the equation.

I don't think this matters, if it makes sense for bikes than go ahead. There's no way it gains any advantage and I'm not really bothered about run-offs unless it gets to the point where the racing lines ends up being through a run-off(think Hungary T4, Ascari in Monza).

As a marshal, tarmac is lovely. Gravel is horrible to run through, or get a car out of. If it stops on tarmac and it has 4 wheels, push it out of the way, lovely :thumbsup:. If it stops in gravel, wait a few minutes for a tractor to drag it out of :thumbsdown:

To be fair, as mentioned above, Tarmac is a hell of a lot safer for the marshalls at such a high Speed corner.

There will be much less cars stopped in the part of the circuit now and any that do can be cleared loads quicker, so the marshalls don't have to keep looking behind them for any other cars coming at them at speed.

Ask Derek Warwick

OK, the wall is a bit farther away now, but the reasoning's the same. If there was tarmac there, the race wouldn't have been stopped - which, let's face it, is always annoyong if there are no injuries etc. - and he would have lost a little bit of time, but continued.

It's a no brainer in terms of everything really.

Ask Derek Warwick

OK, the wall is a bit farther away now, but the reasoning's the same. If there was tarmac there, the race wouldn't have been stopped - which, let's face it, is always annoyong if there are no injuries etc. - and he would have lost a little bit of time, but continued.

It's a no brainer in terms of everything really.
That bit isn't getting tarmaced, it's staying gravel.

That bit isn't getting tarmaced, it's staying gravel.

Well... You're wrong...
Busz0wbCAAEvXWm.jpg:large

Busz0HxCcAExKyA.jpg:large

:whistling:

All they have to do if put bigger kerbs in on those exits, for 1 I like a big kerb in that position as you can rest your wheel laterally on it while staying on the racing line, but if you go too far into it, it's a natural punishment, as your choices are back off or fly...

All they have to do if put bigger kerbs in on those exits, for 1 I like a big kerb in that position as you can rest your wheel laterally on it while staying on the racing line, but if you go too far into it, it's a natural punishment, as your choices are back off or fly...
Bikes don't like high kerbs. F1 tracks are fine with higher and harsher kerbs if there isn't any high level bike racing there.

• Deleted member 161052

If a brake failure happens for someone at the Parabolica entry, the driver can get injured!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back