Widescreen 1080p and FOV

I just purchased a 23" 1080p widescreen monitor. Wow I have a LOT of screen now lol.

I was wondering about FOV. Since I have so much screen now, should I increase the FOV? Should I lower it?

Any suggestions?

I was messing with window mode and I found out that it really much depends on the aspect ratio what FOV is the best. For 16:9 75%, for 4:3 100% -- about the same good feeling. If you put it lower things seem to be closer than they should be, and if you put it higher they are too far away.
I use an 5:4 monitor so the optimal value is even higher for me, I calculated it to be 106%. (assuming they set the default FOV to 4:3 aspect ratio)
To have things closer to real life in size, I should buy a bigger monitor I think:)
Could be better if it wasn't in % but degrees, like in LFS f.e. 16:9 monitor: 55 degrees, 5:4 monitor: 78 degrees:)

• Mikkow

Peter - Yes, it's hard to know what the % really represents. I find it very unlikely that things would be bigger on your monitor than real life however, unless your monitor was gigantic.

If we knew the actual fov the % represented, and at which direction it works (vertical? Horizontal?) we could calculate exactly what it should be set to to get a 100% accurate size of objects. I.e. if one has a monitor like my own 16:10 24" sitting less than a meter away, then perhaps it takes up 38 degrees of my view (horizontal), and then if one can set the game to 38, it will match exactly.

Abdul - I'm quite happy to see you tried something along those lines and liked it :) I'm just really into immersion and have learned much about it over the years, and sharing is fun.

Peter - Yes, it's hard to know what the % really represents. I find it very unlikely that things would be bigger on your monitor than real life however, unless your monitor was gigantic.

If we knew the actual fov the % represented, and at which direction it works (vertical? Horizontal?) we could calculate exactly what it should be set to to get a 100% accurate size of objects. I.e. if one has a monitor like my own 16:10 24" sitting less than a meter away, then perhaps it takes up 38 degrees of my view (horizontal), and then if one can set the game to 38, it will match exactly.

Abdul - I'm quite happy to see you tried something along those lines and liked it :) I'm just really into immersion and have learned much about it over the years, and sharing is fun.

I didn't say they look bigger, actually I said they look smaller

To have things closer to real life in size, I should buy a bigger monitor I think:)

I said they look closer than they should be, it's not about how big are they, the feeling of distance is about the size of objects compared to each other.

You can't set the size of the objects with FOV, you only change the distances, f.e. 50m looks much shorter with a lower FOV, and longer with a higher FOV. If you want things in real life size you should have a huge monitor or a projector.

Photographers use 55 degrees FOV for 16:9 pictures because that represents the best human FOV (what you can see sharp).

BTW the FOV ingame is vertical, just try to change resolutions with different aspect ratio in window mode, and don't change FOV, you'll see the same up-down.

I thought they set the default FOV to 4:3 aspect ratio monitors as they're the most common, also almost all games now have the default resolution set to 1024*768 which is 4:3.

6. Using the mouse and mouse buttons when in-game (in the car), adjust the view so that you align your real world steering wheel to where it should be in the car. You can often see the steering wheel rod even with wheel disabled in the WTCC cars for example. Try to align it to the back of your wheel.

Mikkow, how do I get to use the mouse to control the seat position?

• Mikkow

I don't think you need to do anything except hold the left or right mouse button while dragging the mouse around, when in game (actually driving)

• Mikkow

Remember to disable 'real seating positions' as they don't really take your monitor placement into account when designating what is real and what isn't :)

Remember to disable 'real seating positions' as they don't really take your monitor placement into account when designating what is real and what isn't :)

I hate it when servers force this off, it is not a matter of realism at all.

With FOV and just about everything else for me it is realism first and gameplay second. If I visit the Ring in real life it'll be enough of a surprise to have all those real variables and G Forces acting on me, I don't want to also go there expecting it to be as flat as Kansas as a FOV of 120 would suggest.

• Mikkow

so what if your running a 4:3 aspect ratio resolution on a widescreen monitor, would you still using 100% for fov
The same rules apply no matter the aspect ratio.

I can't imagine anyone willingly running 4:3 on a widescreen however - either get big black borders on the left and right, or a very nasty stretched image.

Lots of good info in the thread, I'm now running 80% FOV on my 22" 16:10 monitor. One question though, with the lower FOV when I look right and left from the cockpit it doesn't seem like I'm looking far enough, I don't get the feeling that I can see cars next to me well enough. Is there any way(PLR file possibly?) to change the amount I will look right and left?

You can find the setting in your PLR file. The exact path cary vary depending on your operating system, but an easy way to find it is to open race, go to Options and at the bottom click Open User Folder. Your PLR file should be inside.

• Bert Van Waes

I hate it when servers force this off, it is not a matter of realism at all.

With FOV and just about everything else for me it is realism first and gameplay second. If I visit the Ring in real life it'll be enough of a surprise to have all those real variables and G Forces acting on me, I don't want to also go there expecting it to be as flat as Kansas as a FOV of 120 would suggest.

yes indeed, haha. And you will feel them!

OOO and some itches in the stomach too. You'll be blown away by the steepness off the hils and crests... And the curbs, man.:victory:

When are you going?

To Mikkow, tx mate you helped me out alot. :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 130 13.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 103 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 94 9.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 67 6.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 137 13.9%