Wicklow Mountains, Ireland

Tracks Wicklow Mountains, Ireland 1.1.0

Login or Register an account to download this content
Well, this is right up my street and it looks awesome but grassfx is an absolute fps killer for me and I can't use it. I'm nowhere near my rig atm so can I just ask is the grass that comes with it like Assetto default grass.
Having only GrassFX should come as a bonus, then. As you can manually control its quality or even its absence :)

@Jake Grafton
Regarding the darkness, the ambient value of the road is at 0,12 which makes the shadows from trees really dark. Also the specularEXP is really low. Try something like 25.
I did a quick fix (but this is not the proper way to do it):
Code:
[MATERIAL_ADJUSTMENT_...]
ACTIVE = 1
MATERIALS = Tarmac?, Concrete?, Material #25, Gravel?
KEY_0 = ksAmbient
VALUE_0 = 0.17
KEY_1 = ksDiffuse
VALUE_1 = 0.12
KEY_2 = ksSpecularEXP
VALUE_2 = 25
For reference, Brands Hatch road uses 0,30 ambient and 0,22 diffuse. Your textures might be too bright to start with.
You can easily replace textures for testing by using the /trackname/skins/default/ folder. Just drop your altered road texture in and restart the game. Obviously shader values are not changed, but the extension ini can do that for you for testing purposes.

Here is a before and after:
1614150054464.png

Performance-wise this runs perfectly fine for me. But I should agree on not using any textures larger than 4K. It really kills performance on cards with less memory.
The track maps of the layouts are incorrect. Recreate them via CM (Update map > from surfaces > at, say, 200%).

The timing on stage 2 appears to be broken. Or I missed a gate by flying past them due to some ditch :D
Make sure the timing gates are sufficiently wide. (I just double checked by sticking to the asphalt and stage 2 is indeed broken)
The other stages work fine.

I like the little country road when starting stage 4, although I think the hotlap starting position should be before the sharp corner on the main road. For a pit start it's absolutely fine :) This applies to all hotlap starting positions, really.

AI lines are a must. Even if they are recorded at 50% speed, have sloppy corners in them. Doesn't really matter. AC needs them for cameras and for the wrong way sign. The stages work fine but on the full layout you can't make a full lap.
But! Then you might need to consider doing reverse layouts, too :p

Anyway, I really enjoyed driving these roads! Well done :thumbsup:

Edit: Oh, one more thing. The /tracklayout/data/lighting.ini has a sun heading angle of 93 degrees (for stage 3 it's 180). The track is modelled with North upward (as seen by the map) so these numbers should be 0 if you want accurate Sun trajectory :)

Last edited:
Having only GrassFX should come as a bonus, then. As you can manually control its quality or even its absence :)

@Jake Grafton
Regarding the darkness, the ambient value of the road is at 0,12 which makes the shadows from trees really dark. Also the specularEXP is really low. Try something like 25.
I did a quick fix (but this is not the proper way to do it):
Code:
[MATERIAL_ADJUSTMENT_...]
ACTIVE = 1
MATERIALS = Tarmac?, Concrete?, Material #25, Gravel?
KEY_0 = ksAmbient
VALUE_0 = 0.17
KEY_1 = ksDiffuse
VALUE_1 = 0.12
KEY_2 = ksSpecularEXP
VALUE_2 = 25
For reference, Brands Hatch road uses 0,30 ambient and 0,22 diffuse. Your textures might be too bright to start with.
You can easily replace textures for testing by using the /trackname/skins/default/ folder. Just drop your altered road texture in and restart the game. Obviously shader values are not changed, but the extension ini can do that for you for testing purposes.

Here is a before and after:
View attachment 448484

Performance-wise this runs perfectly fine for me. But I should agree on not using any textures larger than 4K. It really kills performance on cards with less memory.
The track maps of the layouts are incorrect. Recreate them via CM (Update map > from surfaces > at, say, 200%).

The timing on stage 2 appears to be broken. Or I missed a gate by flying past them due to some ditch :D
Make sure the timing gates are sufficiently wide. (I just double checked by sticking to the asphalt and stage 2 is indeed broken)
The other stages work fine.

I like the little country road when starting stage 4, although I think the hotlap starting position should be before the sharp corner on the main road. For a pit start it's absolutely fine :) This applies to all hotlap starting positions, really.

AI lines are a must. Even if they are recorded at 50% speed, have sloppy corners in them. Doesn't really matter. AC needs them for cameras and for the wrong way sign. The stages work fine but on the full layout you can't make a full lap.
But! Then you might need to consider doing reverse layouts, too :p

Anyway, I really enjoyed driving these roads! Well done :thumbsup:

Edit: Oh, one more thing. The /tracklayout/data/lighting.ini has a sun heading angle of 93 degrees (for stage 3 it's 180). The track is modelled with North upward (as seen by the map) so these numbers should be 0 if you want accurate Sun trajectory :)

Nighteye87, thanks so much for spending the time and providing all these suggestions! This is extremely valuable. I'm going to start checking on these points very soon.

got round to driving each section, really nice. section 3 is really good.
grassFX really is essential, my initial tries i only had grassfx on "very low" which is fine for every other track, however this one really needs it set to medium - maybe worth noting that setting below medium is not advised in the description. not ideal as will cost me fps unnecessarily on other tracks but i guess that cant be helped. grassfx is truly impressive as to what it does with presumably relatively little effort required for you.
the low res textures on hills i was referring to that grassfx doesnt save are mainly in stage 1, everywhere else isn't too bad, example screens of areas that stick out: a couple of minor observations (should have captions):
edit: also i hope you can do something about the wrong way sign etc. shouldnt need to disable penalties

Last edited:
got round to driving each section, really nice. section 3 is really good.
grassFX really is essential, my initial tries i only had grassfx on "very low" which is fine for every other track, however this one really needs it set to medium - maybe worth noting that setting below medium is not advised in the description. not ideal as will cost me fps unnecessarily on other tracks but i guess that cant be helped. grassfx is truly impressive as to what it does with presumably relatively little effort required for you.
the low res textures on hills i was referring to that grassfx doesnt save are mainly in stage 1, everywhere else isn't too bad, example screens of areas that stick out: a couple of minor observations (should have captions):
edit: also i hope you can do something about the wrong way sign etc. shouldnt need to disable penalties

I will change the description to include the Medium setting.

Yes, it's pretty easy to use GrassFX -- I just have to define the areas and textures and the type of grass in those. Only the mountain areas have custom grass.

Thanks for taking the time to make those screen shots. I see what you mean. I would probably fill those areas with more 3D objects as a higher resolution probably wouldn't solve the issue.

Yes, I intend to correct the Wrong way issue by setting up proper AI lines. I didn't notice it because use a patch to block it.

Thanks again!

I’m relatively new to AC so forgive me if this issue is already well-understood technically... Others mentioned the dreaded “shake”, and I seem to experience it only in the parking lot you start out in. Course rides smooth (er, as smooth as intended) otherwise.

I’m relatively new to AC so forgive me if this issue is already well-understood technically... Others mentioned the dreaded “shake”, and I seem to experience it only in the parking lot you start out in. Course rides smooth (er, as smooth as intended) otherwise.

Yes, this is apparently an issue with large tracks. There is a patch, but I can't link here. Do a search for "shaders patch wobbling".

Just saw this: - changed to 48 pits

But all layouts says 4 pits for me after I updated to latest version.

Ok, there ARE 48 pits, so I guess you forgot to change the number in UI. Thanks for the extra pits!

Last edited:
Is anyone else getting random frame drops here? I'm running a flat 60fps but every 5-6 seconds it drops to basically zero. Only happening on Wicklow, other high stress tracks such as LA Canyons & Shukoto are no problem. Tried messing with different CSP versions and same issue.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back