Why?

Is there a setup thread in these forum? I have had a request there for a while and noticed that nobody even replies. I am terrible with setups, but can most certainly drive. Just trying to understand why folks don't want to help fellow racers out.

There is a couple of reasons for this.
1) Most people aren't willing to share their setups with others.
2) Some people don't even venture into the setup section. I bet some don't even realise it exists.

A lot of people tend to just turn up for races and leagues and don't devote a lot of time to finding setups for cars they don't use.

Or
3) People don't have the time anymore to run every car track combo and drive endless laps to create a good one. :p

In the past I had that time and uploaded tons of setups here in setup thread.
If ISI keeps changing the physics of their cars the setups sometimes become useless. :(

4) Sharing a setup in game online is much more easy. :)

6) setups are a bit personal, so a setup that works good for me. Isn't always spot on for you.

BTW: Nobody ever refused to share a setup with me online when i asked them. On whatever game/server. :) And i never refuse to share my setup with someone who asks me. :cool:

Try it your self: hey Mr. X can i have your setup for my collection?

Is there a setup thread in these forum?
We have an entire subforum for setups :) http://www.racedepartment.com/forums/rfactor-2-setups.73/

Being terrible at setups is a choice unfortunately. There is plenty of material out there that you can study to improve your setup knowledge and start making your own.

Of course you can rely on what other people post but its a hit and miss as setups are suited to the personal driving style of the creator.

Start with this setup guide today and improve (and spread :D) the knowledge.

4) Sharing a setup in game online is much more easy. :)

6) setups are a bit personal, so a setup that works good for me. Isn't always spot on for you.

BTW: Nobody ever refused to share a setup with me online when i asked them. On whatever game/server. :) And i never refuse to share my setup with someone who asks me. :cool:

Try it your self: hey Mr. X can i have your setup for my collection?

So true, everyone can get my setups. Just get on TS and ask for it. Will be happy to share it.
This statement doesn't count for the coming race in the VSC2 though. :D My team boss is very strict about keeping that information inside the team till after the race. :D

We have an entire subforum for setups :) http://www.racedepartment.com/forums/rfactor-2-setups.73/

Being terrible at setups is a choice unfortunately. There is plenty of material out there that you can study to improve your setup knowledge and start making your own.

Of course you can rely on what other people post but its a hit and miss as setups are suited to the personal driving style of the creator.

Start with this setup guide today and improve (and spread :D) the knowledge.

He's actually asking WHY there is a setup section, since there are barely any setups, and nobody's replied to his setup request that he has already posted there.

:thumbsup:

EDIT: And the main reason is, although it's a superb game, it doesn't really have SO many players, and even fewer leagues, which is normally where setups come from - spending a few hours driving a track in anticipation of a league event.

If people don't post a proper title for threads these things happen. I read "is there a setup thread".

The setup forum is not for requests as the subtitle says pretty clear: "Share your rF2 setups here with other members."

Anyway answer is still valid. Don't rely on other people to do the hard setup work testing for you when there is plenty of material out there to start making your own. :thumbsup:

Like with racing: practice masters and for technical questions you can always use the forum and receive an answer to help you out.

If people don't post a proper title for threads these things happen. I read "is there a setup thread".

The setup forum is not for requests as the subtitle says pretty clear: "Share your rF2 setups here with other members."

Anyway answer is still valid. Don't rely on other people to do the hard setup work testing for you when there is plenty of material out there to start making your own. :thumbsup:

Like with racing: practice masters and for technical questions you can always use the forum and receive an answer to help you out.

I've been doing this for a while now, and about 50% of the setup parameters still don't make sense to me, and if I tweak those, I usually make it even worse.

Sometimes you gotta remember that some of us aren't all that technically minded. ;)

I myself am completely a-technical. The only thing I can do in a (real) car is add fuel :) And even I have managed to understand how the technical side of sim racing works (kinda) over the years.

If you aren't technically minded and are full of questions there is just one option to resolve them: ask :)

Couple of other things.
There are a huge number of car/track combinations and not so many ppl who really get into setup.
It does take a long time for me to set up a car.
Then only if that setup seems to go well (and I dont mean win) against strong opposition in multiplayer am I confident enough to say its a pretty good one. Thats happened a few times and I posted a folder with them.
My logic here is that I dont want to put loads of half baked setups here and sound like I think I'm the master.
So then ones that I'm condident in I share unless they have a league race pending as then its top secret (ask my team mate).
Oh yes, and its rare (but appreciated) that ppl say "thanks nice setup"

Is there a setup thread in these forum? I have had a request there for a while and noticed that nobody even replies. I am terrible with setups, but can most certainly drive. Just trying to understand why folks don't want to help fellow racers out.
I had a look at the thread. I didn't really notice it before. I actually have a setup for that combination, but I think it was based on a bit older Mod version. I can share it this evening.

To learn how to built a setup I would recommend you try something else than the URD cars, which at least I personally found hard and a bit weird to setup as I had sometimes to do the opposite from what I would usually do.
A good starting point would be the Nissan 370z GT4 as it has relatively low downforce and you can really feel the changes in the car.

Randy,
One little time saver.
To get the fore aft and lateral balance right (camber, springs, dampers) I jump onto Nazareth speedway. Its 20 sec a lap so much like a speed bowl. You will feel which end is letting go and adjust, go back out for 3 laps and feel the change.
Much quicker than longer tracks.
Other stuff (gearing, diff lock, brake balance, aero) will need proper tracks with their unique issues but you will get a lot of basics done fast at Nazareth. If a change is good you see it in about 40 sec.
Then I go to Putnam, short lap nice mix of slow and fast to adjust other stuff.
By then I have a good base setup.
Happy spannering.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 73 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 273 27.4%