Why Virtual Reality is NOT niche

A statement I see a lot from PC gamers....

"only a few people own a VR device, or can afford one, so they shouldn't be supported or developed"

Imagine a world where the people at the forefront of developing technologies listened to such narrow minded selfish claptrap?

How would you travel? There would probably be no cars, buses, planes.

You actually wouldn't be able to post that opinion anyway because there'd be no computers.

And even if there were computers there'd be no internet because there'd be no telephone lines or telephones to connect everyone up.

That would be quite boring. So maybe you'd spend more time watching TV. Except, of course, that there would be no TV.

VR is groundbreaking. It has huge potential. Already it enhances the sim racing genre of games to levels I never thought I'd experience. Yet people - people who have never experienced it - are so narrow minded as to not only dismiss it as something they're not interested in, but publicly express a desire for development of it, and for it, to stop.

Despite their best efforts, VR will continue to develop. Comparing headsets available five years down the line to the current Rift CV1 and Vive would be like comparing a 1970s TV set to an OLED 4k tv. And some game genres, more than others stand to benefit from this.

None more so than sim racing.

There's so much scope for immersion. The connection between the driver putting on a helmet and the player putting on a headset. Placing that headset takes you into the racing world. Into the car, onto the track. The co-ordination of the physical wheel in the real world to the virtual one, beautifully modelled and accurate to the virtual car being driven.

While other genres will not lend themselves to VR due to the relatively limited hand tracking technology, sim racing rises above it as it knows already what you're doing with your hands and feet due to input from wheels, shifters, pedals. And its recreating of this in the virtual world is startlingly accurate.

Popular genres such as first person shooters will only really flourish when advanced treadmills, capable of tracking the player's walking, running movements are ready. A sim racer doesn't need to worry about that. A racing driver sits in their seat, puts on a helmet, then stays in that seat until their race or session is complete and they remove the helmet.

Several game studios have worked to incorporate and develop VR integration after the release of a title. Whilst I'm sure some of this is out of support for existing owners of the title, at least one eye will be on the growing VR owning, non sim racing community. These people, who own VR, want the best experiences in VR and racing sims / games are right up there. Studios will be looking to this group and thinking they can sell copies of their minority appeal game to a wider community.

And the 'niche' tag may be a little wide of the mark - even now. It doesn't take much research to discover that the two main manufacturers of PC VR devices can't keep up with demand. They can't make them fast enough. I ordered one in January and still have not received it.

The cost to the existing gamer is not as high as some might suggest. You could say that by the time you do your next PC upgrade, it will be ready for VR. AMD and nVidia have invested in VR technology and the new range of nVidia cards were developed to support it. You probably already have a CPU capable of running VR, if you're playing rFactor2, Assetto Corsa, Project CARS.

Your average sim racer only stands to gain from the development of VR. OK maybe you're not ready to invest now, but play the long game. The price of the technology is going to come down. The cost of putting a PC together that can handle it will come down. The games / sims will establish and improve VR support over time.

Those who are not ready for VR yet can only gain by sitting back, letting the technology and software develop further, then diving in when they are ready. But compaining, de-prioritising and declaring its insignificance isn't helping, and is also inaccurate.

Would they be willing to stand by those claims one, two, five years down the line? Do we still hear people tallking of the expense, inaffordability and minority appeal of cars, TVs, personal computers now?

Last edited:
Do you think a computer game requires the skills of a real driver?

Don't forget that driving a racing car, and playing a racing game are not the same thing.
Just curious, how is it not the same thing in your opinion?
If I have a DD wheel, hydraulic pedals, a VR headset and a rig that simulates motion and vibration and accurately mimics the position in a real race car, what exactly are the big differences between driving a real race car and why are different skills needed?
Except for the psychological factor that you don't place as much money and potential loss of life/injury on the line when playing in a simulator.

Upvote 0
Except for the psychological factor that you don't place as much money and potential loss of life/injury on the line when playing in a simulator.
That's the main difference and the biggest factor too. Two years ago I crashed my race bike at Cadwell Park and had serious injuries. I get none of that nonsense in Sim racing. So I can push as much as I like. Got some blisters once though. :whistling:

Upvote 0
VR is a niche because of the price. Period.

Everything that's over a certain price is mostly a niche because not everyone can afford that. Is not that people wouldn't like to have it which define a niche all the time.

Sim racing is a niche because not that much people like accurate physics when playing a game. VR is a niche because it's expensive.

Probably ps4 VR will sell a lot more than oculus and vive together just because it's cheaper in all ways. You can get a ps4 for less than 200€ here in Spain in some sales, plus the VR set its just 600€+game which is less than oculus or vive alone. So PS4 VR will show that VR is not a niche at a certain price, but it becomes a niche if talking about high end VR.

So is VR a niche? Yes, until prices become lower it will be.
Do all of us want to use it even though is not perfectly done yet? Yes, even if it's just to have some fun laps or some fun with other kind of games like shooters.

Upvote 0
VR is a niche because of the price. Period.

Everything that's over a certain price is mostly a niche because not everyone can afford that. Is not that people wouldn't like to have it which define a niche all the time.

Sim racing is a niche because not that much people like accurate physics when playing a game. VR is a niche because it's expensive.

Probably ps4 VR will sell a lot more than oculus and vive together just because it's cheaper in all ways. You can get a ps4 for less than 200€ here in Spain in some sales, plus the VR set its just 600€+game which is less than oculus or vive alone. So PS4 VR will show that VR is not a niche at a certain price, but it becomes a niche if talking about high end VR.

So is VR a niche? Yes, until prices become lower it will be.
Do all of us want to use it even though is not perfectly done yet? Yes, even if it's just to have some fun laps or some fun with other kind of games like shooters.

So I think that answers @ears VR is as niche as a niche thing from nichey land.:thumbsup::laugh:

So cars, iPads, iPhones, 4k TVs, DSLR cameras, laptops - they're all niche too?

Just because something is expensive and, based on price, some people choose to buy it and others don't, it doesn't make it 'niche'.

That just makes it a commercial product.

Upvote 0
Jesus H. It's niche because of how few use the expensive tech not because of the price. Just sim racers are very niche, never mind sim racers with big goggles.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Jesus H. It's niche because of how few use the expensive tech not because of the price. Just sim racers are very niche, never mind sim racers with big goggles.:rolleyes:

VR has far wider appeal than sim racing.

Why do you need to give it a label? If you consider sim racing itself to be a niche, why aren't you posting in all the other forums about steering wheels being niche, about rFactor2 being niche, about button boxes, pedals, motion rigs being niche? Why do you have to focus your vitriol on VR?

If you're not interested why can't you just go and post in threads about other niche technology that does interest you?

Upvote 0
Why aren't you posting in all the other forums about steering wheels being niche, about rFactor2 being niche, about button boxes, pedals, motion rigs being niche? Why do you have to focus your vitriol on VR?

If you're not interested why can't you just go and post in threads about other niche technology that does interest you?

1. They are niche. We all know that. This topic is about VR

2. This a discussion forum. Everyone can discuss and explain their opinion if they follow the forum rules.

3. One more thing that is niche: forums where you can discuss things without lot of people getting mad and rude.

4. VR is still a niche, with few games available and high requirements for a good amount of money.

Upvote 0
3. One more thing that is niche: forums where you can discuss things without lot of people getting mad and rude.

Its ok Yapci. He's got a very big chip on his shoulder and seems to take it personally. He can't help being nasty to anyone who disagrees with his opinion. I am merely disagreeing with him after all.
saying_chip-on-shoulder_zpsqdj92egi.jpg

Upvote 0
Its ok Yapci. He's got a very big chip on his shoulder and seems to take it personally. He can't help being nasty to anyone who disagrees with his opinion. I am merely disagreeing with him after all.
saying_chip-on-shoulder_zpsqdj92egi.jpg

Goodness me. Are you serious? Who was it who baited me back in here with a childish sniping post?

So I think that answers @ears VR is as niche as a niche thing from nichey land.:thumbsup::laugh:

But OK. I like to think I'm a reasonable person/ Please point out to me the things I've said that are nasty, and snooping so low and I'll mend my ways.

Or is this just more passive aggressiveness?

Upvote 0
Seriously come on. I'm not going to get in an argument with you because you don't think VR is a niche item and I do. I have many more serious things to be worried about than you getting upset about nothing.
Have a good day Mr Ears.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Seriously come on. I'm not going to get in an argument with you because you don't think VR is a niche item and I do. I have many more serious things to be worried about than you getting upset about nothing.
Have a good day Mr Ears.:thumbsup:

I'm sorry Andy, you misunderstand. I'm not upset.

It's fair to say, I guess, that I'm a little cross. Not cross because you think VR is a niche, good for you. I'm all for free thinking. Not that you disagree with me, or that anyone disagrees with me. Or that they post on internet forums that they disagree with me. I like a debate.

The only posts in this thread that made me a bit cross were yours. Because you were the one dragging it down,, making childish posts, baiting me to come and read a post you'd made on my thread that wasn't constructive one way or the other, just a childish snipe. I don't know why you felt the need to post it - in fact you've posted something similar in 2 threads that discuss VR.

I try not to get personal on internet forums. I like a good debate, and I'll put points across forcefully sometimes. But I try to avoid personal attacks on other individuals.

You don't seem to try and avoid personal attacks on others, that's your perogative. But what made me the most cross was your passive aggressive attitude - to make childish posts that seemed to personally bait and tease me, then when I replied to them constructively, to put my argument across, you accused me of being nasty and of 'stooping so low'.

But when I've asked you for the specific examples of me being nasty and stooping so low, you seem to have backed out, run away, saying you have more serious things to do than worry about me getting 'upset about nothing' - did you have to sneak just one more snipe in before you departed?

The evidence suggests, however, that those important things are going out of your way to find an image on the internet that you hope will ridicule and upset me.

I feel your posts on this thread have been childish and hypocritical.

You have a nice day too, and let's hope the conversation can get back to the topic in hand now.

Upvote 0
Just curious, how is it not the same thing in your opinion?
If I have a DD wheel, hydraulic pedals, a VR headset and a rig that simulates motion and vibration and accurately mimics the position in a real race car, what exactly are the big differences between driving a real race car and why are different skills needed?

There are no exhaust fumes or oil smoke from a little drip filling the cabin. You don't smell the steam from an overheating engine. You don't have rain dripping in and fogging your visor. Brightness of VR goggles is nowhere near the level of looking into the sun when cresting a rise (and you don't want it to be!). There's no 500 degree heat from the exhaust passing under your feet and you're not wearing 3 layers of fire suit. There's no wind buffeting your head. Noise levels are an order of magnitude (or more) in a racecar. Motion rigs do not sustain the level of g-forces experienced in a racecar and unless you've experienced a 1hr-2hr stint, you have no idea how fatiguing that is. Vibration from an out-of-balance wheel is not as severe (could be damage, could be rubber pickup), even with a direct drive wheel. You don't hear the noises that make you wonder if something is breaking apart. Night racing is a whole 'nother world compared to sims. You don't have to go through the engine & brake warmup procedure or wait in pregrid for 15 minutes alone with your thoughts. The toilet is just down the hall in a sim and you don't have to undo your driver's suit to use it. Potential trackside distractions are far less (unless the Great Dane wants to be in your lap).

Upvote 0
You have a nice day too, and let's hope the conversation can get back to the topic in hand now.

Yes back on topic despite your vitriol and cleverly designed angry post. VR is a niche product. That is my opinion. I am sure that many others agree.
Edit: I am not arguing with you Ears so stop baiting me. I just disagree with you on this subject. End of the stupid matter. I have better things to do than get upset over a niche fad.
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes back on topic despite your vitriol and cleverly designed angry post. VR is a niche product. That is my opinion. I am sure that many others agree.
Have another nice day.:cool:

Andy, why continue to fling these words around, like nasty, and vitriol, when they have no foundation? You're not doing yourself any favours, why can't you back out with a post that doesn't have some kind of dig or swipe in it?

Again please, if you're going to accuse me of being vitriolic, back this up with a direct quote. What did I say that was vitriolic?

Upvote 0
I work with, amongst other things related to computer graphics, VR. And I have access to all the major headsets and some not meant for commercial use. And I can tell you all that VR is only going to get cheaper and better. You might not be able to afford a VIVE or an Occulus right now, but give it time and prices will drop dramaticly.

And driving games/sims are probably one of the genres that benefit most from VR. Not only can you look around you like in real life to make sure that you absolutely nail every apex, but you also have the depth perception to instinctively percieve speed and distances as you do in real life.

In essence: VR is awesome and you should get it.

Upvote 0
I would say it depends on your budget. If you're thinking about getting a triple-display then a VIVE or an Occulus is a lot cooler for the same money.

interesting and more to come out of labs and universities...

http://www.roadtovr.com/starvr-headset-hands-on-field-of-view-e3-2016/

The StarVR is pretty sweet. They're using two mobile-phone LCD panels to get a very wide image, instead of splitting a single panel into two squares like most other HMD's. So you get waaay better peripheral vision, which is obviously great for racing games. It's the VR equivalent of a triple display.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 291 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 201 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 197 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.5%
  • < 5 years