Why no answers from support?

Hello,

How much time to wait until I receive an answer from GSC support?

FIrst of all I expected this to be a serious developer, had good reviews on the forums, and decided to buy the game.
Well, it just crashes to Windows after the config widnow. I own many sims, hadn't have such problems with any of them.
And most of all there is no support. This is an internet product, I am supposed to have instant access to the product, I pay instantly, I also expect fast support.

So, anybody at work at GSC?

Thanks

The difficulties you've encountered are all down to the horrendous UAC (User Account Control) in Windows Vista, people where turning it off for a reason (such as these you've run into). It has been vastly improved in Windows 7, but there are still applications and games that require you to run them as admin, mainly those who are made for XP with no Win7 compatibility added.
It doesn't excuse anyone for not giving you support on your newly purchased product, but you'll save yourself a lot of future headaches by upgrading to Win7. Good luck with GSC, I'll be picking it up too ASAP. :)

Edit: note that I do NOT recommend turning off the UAC in windows as it leaves your OS much more open to exploits, viruses etc.

I'm not sure how much this is relevant to the OP problem, but a lot of start errors and CTD with GSC are caused by other programmes like Fraps and Msi Afterburner.
For some reason they prevent the game from starting with the exact same symptoms as that were posted

Im sure he meant stuff like "don't use Internet Explorer, don't visit shady sites or click links you don't trust" etc, all of which I too recommend. But even though newer threats can work around UAC there's no reason to open up your system to old threats like you do when you disable it. Chances are that you'll be just fine with it off, but it's a bit like running without a antivirus or driving without a seatbelt, chances are good that you'll be fine but you'll be kicking yourself if something happens.

www.7tutorials.com/uac-why-you-should-never-turn-it-off

Tom, ok, i got this, anyway Reiza should thank you guys for doing their job.

So, going around Interlagos with the stock cars, great fun. The poor lighting in the game, especially (lack of) cockpit shadows/reflections puts off a bit in immersion (going to this after rF2).
we're not doing their job, we're a community and we help eachother out:)

i have asked for support a few times with Reiza and they have been quick to respond, so there is indeed a good reason as to why there may be a delay.

as for the shadows/ lighting / reflections, ofcourse it's going to be poor, the game is running on the old rFactor 1 engine , Reiza studios have done a fabolous job to get this up-to-date :)

I bet they did their best, the tracks are awesome, the amout of details in them is amazing. Textures of track and cockpit are nice too. But light and shadows are making a huge difference.. in GSC (in car) you feel it's always a very homogenous overcast day.

One reason might be if you installed it in Program Files, which is a protected folder.
Well, most other stuff in Program Files doesn't need admin perms. One issue with GSC is that it tries to store user related data within its directory userdata is not writeable using user permissions but admin can write to it.

Different user permissions are an old concept, eventually even Windows adopted it. Just some programmers might not be aware of it. The permission problem could be introduced by the ISI engine, a 3rd party lib or by Reiza itself..no idea.

I bet they did their best, the tracks are awesome, the amout of details in them is amazing. Textures of track and cockpit are nice too. But light and shadows are making a huge difference.. in GSC (in car) you feel it's always a very homogenous overcast day.

This is a small development team who couldn't afford to create their own game engine, thus licensing what they considered the best available option to them; gMotor2. Hiring someone with more advanced coding skills would have just delayed the release date (on a seasonal based game) and increased overheads.

They released plenty of unedited promotional media on their website, and also included a demo, so none of this is really worthy of complaint for a purchased product.

Ant, this was not a complaint on the product, but just an observation. My complaint was only on their support.
People should be able to take comments other than superlative.

My reply was based on the accumulation of your other replies so far in this thread. You have complained about more than just their support. But sorry if I mistook that particular comment out of context ;)

Ant, that "accumulation" was pretty justified don't you think? A minimum support would have kept me less hysterical...;) and by the way after a week they still didn't reply to my direct request for help(even if they checked this thread). And that's unprofessional, irrespective of how small the company may be.
on your last sentence, no problem..:)

Andy, the forum is also support even if it is community-assisted. That´s one of the main points of having a forum, linked from the official website. Even if we were quicker to respond, there are still a multitude of system-specific issues we are simply not yet aware of the solution, this is often the case for other bigger developers too.

Not that I dont think complaints about our support channel are undue. There are reasons why it is as slow and unresponsive as it is, but we´re working on getting that sorted.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 118 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 158 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 303 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 432 39.6%