Why is the steering wheel so big on the screen at the correct FOV?

Hi guys I just recently setup my rig and had the correct FOV at around 40. Can someone explain why the steering wheel look gigantic to what I'd imagine it would look like in real life? As well as compared to my G29? Isn't the real wheel suppose to look like it fits perfectly with whats on the screen? Should I just improve on the scale of things even if the fov is distorted? Thanks.

Edit: for info, I'm currently playing on a 32" 16:9. Will be ordering an ultrawide soon.

Edit: I do have a 65" in the living room so I might play on that as well instead of the ultrawide.

Last edited:
The G29 is 260 mm big, while a real OMP racing wheel has a diameter of 350 mm.

Even the T300 Ferrari replica isnt in the correct size, its in a scale of 8:10.

That is probably the reason or, in addition to that, something isnt set up perfectly.

Edit: Depens on the car, too, of course. A single seater or a Caterham, Lotus or whatever do often have smaller wheels than for example a Nascar or a Rally-Car

Last edited:
If your monitor is farther away than you'd hold a real steering wheel, then it'll be larger on-screen if you go up to the screen and measure it. But if you hold out a ruler at the distance you'd be holding the wheel and measure using that, it should come out right. It's just how perspective works.
Indeed!
The FOV calculators calculate the FOV so that everything has the real life size from YOUR eye position.

So as Stereo said: either put your monitor to the real distance of the steering wheel or raise the FOV until the wheel on the screen looks "correct" for you.

I would recommend to just raise the FOV. Making things look "correct" is way better than having something theoretically "correct".

Yeah, sim racers have to ignore normal advice about how far away to put a screen, closer behind your controller the better.
I've heard people being concerned about vr displays being too close to the eyes, causing long term issues.
I'd say putting your monitor behind your hands is definitely not much better :roflmao:
(typing this while having my phone 20cm of front of my face...)

Last edited:
I've heard people being concerned about vr displays being too close to the eyes, causing long term issues.
That just sounds like not understanding how lenses work, to me. Or maybe random fear of electromagnetic radiation. The virtual distance of the display is however the lens adjusts it, same as how eyeglasses don't make everything you see magically be 1 cm from your eyeballs.

If you do not have a very wide "wrap around" screen, "correct" FOV will give you an extremely narrow angle of view. I prefer to use what feels comfortable, and that most definitely does not include the steering wheel right in front of the monitor.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 344 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 235 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 231 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years