PC1 why is the pCARS forum buried?

Pcars has more than it's fair share of negativity. It may be political, maybe due to it's supposed lack of SIM physics, maybe due to the funding method, maybe due to developer history such as the Shift series, . . . whatever the case - it's not very popular around here. Time will tell how it shapes up in the end but, I'm hopeful that it's going to be a great title when it's done.

Pcars has more than it's fair share of negativity. It may be political, maybe due to it's supposed lack of SIM physics, maybe due to the funding method, maybe due to developer history such as the Shift series, . . . whatever the case - it's not very popular around here. Time will tell how it shapes up in the end but, I'm hopeful that it's going to be a great title when it's done.

I don't think it's a case of it's not popular, it's just not yet! when it's accessible to everyone and a we can give the multiplayer a good go then it may be the sim to play but until it stops being a "pre alpha" and turns into something we can get our teeth into then I can't see what else to say. It certainly looked exciting when we got our 1st look at it but it's going at such a slow pace I think the initial excitement has turned into boredom?

Yeah I've read some rather negative comments that are surprising to say the least. I've got the Assesto Corsa early release as well as being a pCARS member and in all honesty I can say that pCARS edges it on the graphics front (but not by a huge amount) and AC edges it in the physics (but again not by a huge amount, and pCARS in making progress every build). From what I read people seem to think that the slightest problem with any aspect of pCARS physics immediately relegates it to "Simcade" or worse "arcade". I find that attitude perplexing as it shows no intelligence and a huge amount of bias. Simcade is a tag I'd give to Forza/Gran Turismo, because even though the cars are realistic enough (although by no means perfect) the structure of the game is arcade. i.e. no practise, no qualifying, short races. And arcade is like Outrun, games that don't even bother with realistic physics.

Justin, what you say makes certain sense. so it's the lack of accessibility that puts the forum where it is? That would be the only reasonable option, then again GT6 isn't released yet and has a forum in the main section so no, maybe that doesn't quite jive with me.

Only accessible to those with a PS3, but I sort of see your point. I will say that I still think it is unreasonable for the pCARS forum to be where it is. pCARS is a very interesting project and a lot of people who post here clearly have access so can keep others updated and informed of progress and (indeed) problems and issues.

Only accessible to those with a PS3, but I sort of see your point. I will say that I still think it is unreasonable for the pCARS forum to be where it is. pCARS is a very interesting project and a lot of people who post here clearly have access so can keep others updated and informed of progress and (indeed) problems and issues.

Well I guess it will have when a general beta is released but until then, WMD have their own forums for that kind of discussion. I am as excited to see a final release of pcars as the next guy but until they take the next BIG step, then it's just a WIP title being built in very small steps and only accessible to paid up testers and developers :)

Well I guess it will have when a general beta is released but until then, WMD have their own forums for that kind of discussion. I am as excited to see a final release of pcars as the next guy but until they take the next BIG step, then it's just a WIP title being built in very small steps and only accessible to paid up testers and developers :)

Makes sense, I also sort of justify the forums position by not knowing what I can and can't say here (from the other discussion!). The whole "community" thing was a huge experiment, in many ways it's worked wonderfully, in some it hasn't worked well at all (which I would say is the main reason for ill feeling).

Oh well, all I know is my cup runneth over with quality at the moment as I test pCARS and AC!!

For the record, I am a paid up tester and quite often have a spin. I'm very happy with what I see and think the physics are not far away from where they should be. It's an alpha (or pre alpha) and I'm under no illusion it's supposed to be spot on at this point :)

Its just makes me cringe when people say PCARS in the same sentence with GT or Forza. If thats the clientage of PCARS I don´t know...

I've heard the same thing about Assesto Corsa, yet hardly anyone is doubting that game as much as pCARS.

Like it or not the hardcore sim player is a very VERY tiny percentage of the games playing population. If ANY game can get the attention of the Forza and GT crowd and slowly introduce them to the joys of proper racing then that is a VERY good thing in my book.

You know you can deliver a different product to your target market, in fact, i'm sure that's what you are after, stealing the competitions punters.

If folks like driving cars in Forza or GT then they like racing, they like sim racing.
What pcars is trying to do is appeal to that crowd and maybe just maybe get some more folks intrested in PC sim racing. Some folks just don't know about pc sim racing but the appeal is still there, they need to be told they can have a better experience on pc.
Tell a GT or Forza fanatic they can have the same but better experience on pc and they will ditch the console in an instant, also why you will never see those titles on pc, they would be better and consoles would lose sales.

Are you happy about the size of the sim racing community and the financial input it gets compared to consoles ?
Are you happy that the best you got is tech that is 10 or more years old?

If you are, good for you, shut up, you are shooting the people who are brave enough to try, in the face publicly.

Tell a GT or Forza fanatic they can have the same but better experience on pc and they will ditch the console in an instant, also why you will never see those titles on pc, they would be better and consoles would lose sales.

Well Pcars won't be the sim to do that. Better to show them a real sim not a simcade style game in my opinion.

Well Pcars won't be the sim to do that. Better to show them a real sim not a simcade style game in my opinion.
The typical PC sim is not going to appeal to Console gamers at all - certainly not in terms of the graphics or the sound quality. It's a major step backwards for them - PCars is the first PC title that could change that. For many of us, it may just be a occasional diversion or a break from playing AC or rF2, iRacing or some other title but, either way - I can accept and play more than one title. I even enjoy the occasional stint playing Dirt2/3 for something different. Pcars is not going to be the "Holy Grail" of PC sims - what title is?

I think the more likely ideal scenario is one that includes something like a refined Occulus Rift - that may make any title amazing to play despite the graphics, physics, etc.

Pcars will be amazing for what it is - what it actually is remains to be seen but, it's definitely not as bad as some here would have us believe. I think it generally drives and feels quite good at this point although, I didn't think that until I drastically changed the Logitech Game Profile for my wheel. It certainly is miles better than the Shift series. I consider those "unplayable" as I could not tolerate the handling, huge dead-zones and lethargic steering.

Well it's pretty clear to me that Peter Koch and Andy Jackson really dislike the game, I must admit it beggars belief to read your comments.

Peter, SMS are NOT targetting the GT/Forza audience, that want to INCLUDE them. Kunos have saiod EXACTLY the same thing with AC, and more power to them both I say.

Andy to call pCARS simcade and to say comparing pCARS to GT and Forza is an insult to the latter games is laughable at best and just brainless trolling at worst IMO.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 336 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 465 39.0%