Why is sex such a taboo topic in mainstream American social circles? [REPLY IF YOUR AGE IS 16+]

Too many times, I have come across American women, who may be beautiful, but, have pent-up tension because they are so repressed.

Especially living in the Southeastern United States, where people are adamant churchgoers who are taught that "Sex is unholy", "Masturbation is a sin punishable by being casted into the eternal inferno", and, even going as far as parents not talking to their children about sex when they reach puberty, which, gives them a delusion about sexual acts that later becomes clear when it is too late.

Why are a large number of Americans so delusional about sex?

When I was in Canada, sex is more open among adults, which, I wish, was the case here.

Pretty good question indeed.

All I can contribute, since I live in Europe, is that (female) American students are pretty...open-minded. I kid you not, those girls are the easiest ones I ever came across. In my defense, I'm past that age nowadays and only ever took advantage of that once...or twice. :p

It's probably because the US in general is taking religion extremely serious. In Europe most people either don't care about the church or define themselves as atheists. When people are away from their home country and see the "freedom" we live in, it's maybe changing their mind as well. Also, they might want to live their life like the society around them wants them to live their life.

Sex is the most natural thing on the world, if you think about it. When we're having a party at home (currently every Friday, BBQ weather is awesome \o/) it's a common topic. When my cousin from the US (Kansas - he was born there, go figure) paid a visit last year he was shocked and went for a walk when we started a funny discussion about boobs.

The answer is hidden at the topic title. You say "do not reply if you are not +16". That is the problem. This topic has become so popular that even a little child can read, watch and learn anything about it. Common puberty age is decrasing year by year.

Another problem is that it has been turned into a money resource. Movie, game, comic books and tv dramas cultivate it so efficiently. Would you watch your parents have sex or talk about their activities? Then why do everyone talk about and watch some other people's ? Of course, a couple has to talk anything about their sex life openly, and no one oppresses it as Hampus states. Sex is the core of a healthy relationship after all. But in public, it is just a lustful conversation topic, and it gets into a thinking-addiction which prevents some people from doing their work.

This excessive popularship of the topic causes some religious people to overreact too. The fact that "sex is unholy" is also ridicilous, that's the core of population and families, how can it be unholy? But i think it should be structed with families, otherwise we see the number of bastard children from the Soviet Russia era.

Nobody oppresses it but it´s considered un-holy....hmmm sounds like a contradiction to me.

Even in a muslim country Turkey, there is no oppression. No hard regulations on media, people can cuddle, kiss in public parks, cafes. There are discussion TV programmes and special pages in newspapers related to the topic. The un-holy thing is mostly in some certain people's brains, not practicing into the life or burning people at stakes cuz of this idea, maybe because they don't have the power to do it, yet that doesn't change the fact that there is no oppression. Tough i can't be sure about U.S.A or other countries, but i'm sure that's similar as for example nearly every hollywood movie/tv drama/novel has a "scene".

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 98 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 177 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 493 39.3%