Why is game using ui_car.json and not car.ini for car names?

Hi there,

So I'm having trouble renaming some vehicles. I'm manually renaming the URD EGT cars. Yes, I know the work's already been done... I'd rather do it myself.

However, the game is using ui_car.json instead of car.ini to source the names used in-game. Why? It seems to be a change from after installing the custom shaders patch etc... I used Content Manager to do this. But I generally don't like to use it because I find the UI to be not great for my purposes.

I need to be able to use the SCREEN_NAME and SHORT_NAME fields from the car.ini file. The names in the JSON are too long.

Also, why does the year appear at the end and where is it even sourcing that information? For example, it thinks the C6R is from 2000. Example: https://i.imgur.com/7puPA2W.png

But I can't find any reference to that anywhere in the files whatsoever. So what gives?

I'm pretty frustrated and I've been banging my head against this one for a while. Thanks for your help!

EDIT:

Wow, it turns out I'm just intellectually challenged.

It's literally right there in the Content Manager settings: Extensions --> General patch settings.

Last edited:
For anyone still lost, this "error" comes from the fact that Custom Shaders Patch ignores the car's SCREEN_NAME property in favor for its name given in the ui_car.json file. In the settiings section, go to Custom Shaders Patch > Extensions > Gui and you'll find two options under "Various UI tweaks" called "Load car names from JSON files" and "Add year postfix to car names". Disable these and you'll get the SCREEN_NAME back in both the loading screen and in-game.

Glad you've found what you're looking for!

I would assume the option to use the .json is for those who want to change the display name without editing data files. Especially helpful for cars that are encrypted which people want to rename. At best case editing the data file could cause an online mismatch, so this method lets people have things display however they want without causing issues online or being blocked by encrypted mods.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.5%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 325 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 458 39.2%