Why is finding mods so hard for rfactor 2?

F_B

Premium
Hi there,

now that I learned that it’s not as easy to have access to the MP part of this sim (although I now know how to do it) I wonder why it’s so hard to get access to mod cars & tracks. They’re all over the internet, some mods are in two or three versions, many many of them are conversions etc. When I used rfactor 1 a lot there was rfactorcentral for me, which had everything available at one place, however for rfactor 2 you have to look everywhere. Why is that?

because now a lot more people try to mod/convert so it can happen 2-3 people work on the same stuff, also someone is releasing a mod/track and another is doing a own update for it beside the original author releasing updates too... so you will often have different version of the same thing :sleep:
on a lot sites some stuff isnt allowed so people post it on other sites, in the end the best is to be a member on all sites :rolleyes:

little hint, add just sites to your fav list where you know there you can get the good quality stuff and just ignore other sites...

i got rf2 one month ago and downloaded 5gb mods on the next 3 days, more than the half of it i deleted right after i had it installed because it had a lower quality than the original mod from rf1 -.- for now i just check here, on isi forum and simracing for life ;)

Reactions: F_B
When I used rfactor 1 a lot there was rfactorcentral for me, which had everything available at one place, however for rfactor 2 you have to look everywhere. Why is that?

History! Before rF1 was released a decade ago, THE place to go was RaceSimCentral. RSC hardware started getting flaky and rfactorcentral was started, so people migrated to RFC. Eventually RFC was sold, the new owners started using the tracks in a commercial enterprise, the modders cried foul, and RFC rapidly went downhill before rF2 was released (now with tales of $$ theft and hacking). The deluge of rF1 releases had become a trickle and everybody was excited about pCARS and Assetto Corsa because, so rF2 never got a central location and probably never will.

Aaawww that’s a shame because this sim deserves some central place-to-go. This would also make it more attractive for new users probably. It’s a pity that it’s kind of user-unfriendly to be honest, because it shines underneath its facade.

I am now on the process of looking for the latest version of BES mod and I feel your pain. ;) I was convinced that the latest released version was 1.0, which I found at international sim racing forum. Then, when I went through their download section looking for other mods I found a small thread which included updated versions of the cars e.g. Audi R8 v1.61, Porsche v1.6 etc. I quickly downloaded those and while I haven't done extensive testing I immidiately noticed the difference in the quality of the cockpits.

So I spent a full hour looking for the 1.60/1.61 update for other cars and I still can't find updated versions of Z4 and Mclaren. No matter where I go, I always end up with the original 1.0 version of the Mclaren, which has a disgusting cockpit. Then, literally 10 minutes ago, I stumbled upon this video:

In the above video, Mclaren was improved quite heavily over the 1.0 version (the only one I was able to find). In total, since finding out that 1.0 is not the latest version of the mod I have now spent 2 freaking hours looking for this particular version and came up with nothing, other than youtube clips and mentions of people playing an updated version. Like above, obviously, someone has access to Mclaren MP412c that doesn't look like complete piece of ****. That's not my experience with BES 1.0, where the cockpit of that car makes me vomit.

And while to some extent I appreciate the idea to let the client download mods automatically upon joining a server, it really pisses me off when half the content you want to try is locked behind passwords. I imagine some server may have the latest and greatest version of the mod, but I can't access it.

Last edited:
The highest propability of getting the most up to date versions and the most complete selection of mods is in the ISI forums. It is still not a guarantee though as some modders even overcomplicate their own release-threads :D and some guys don't post their stuff there.

Atleast you don't have to worry much about legality there since the illegal stuff usually gets reported.

Other than running my page at simracing for life, I also offer the service of providing links for requested mods, so ask and I 100% respond to every message or post. It may take me a few minutes or a day but I will do my best. If I have the mod I will share, even uploading a specific requested mod especially. My Dad used to say if you don't ask you don't get !!

The highest propability of getting the most up to date versions and the most complete selection of mods is in the ISI forums. It is still not a guarantee though as some modders even overcomplicate their own release-threads :D and some guys don't post their stuff there.

Atleast you don't have to worry much about legality there since the illegal stuff usually gets reported.

yes and because of that a lot people make their own forums to release such stuff and the poor people who just want to drive have to register on 100 sites to get it -.- and official forums are not a guarantee to get high quality stuff :p also some people thisk its nice to post releases between 50 sites on their thread and you have to search for it instead of listing all releases or updates on the first post :rolleyes: great example for useless threads is the ac forum where you can search hours but still find nothing because everything got lost in 100 thread sites :O_o:

Other than running my page at simracing for life, I also offer the service of providing links for requested mods, so ask and I 100% respond to every message or post. It may take me a few minutes or a day but I will do my best. If I have the mod I will share, even uploading a specific requested mod especially. My Dad used to say if you don't ask you don't get !!

Hi Steven. I actually tried to sign up over at S4L , and I can't get past the " enter the letters below " part of my sign up. I refreshed that thing probably 30 times and it keeps coming up with the exact same letters. I type in what I see and it keeps telling me that I typed it wrong. I'd like to join up over there as well , but could use a little help. I can't find any contact info on the site without being signed up.

Ok i have approved all new sign ups, but really the FB page is the go to for any news, info and downloads. I'm not a web designer by a long chalk and the webpage is really only a place holder/skeleton site that isn't updated very often, maybe one day a web programmer will come on board and I can get my dream of a racesimcentral type resources site for rF2 with everything organised and under one roof. Although the notes section and news feed of FB is pretty adequate atm.

For the record, once the Steam version is released the "Steam Workshop" will become a very convenient way to find and subscribe to content. It will automatically download and install such cars and tracks and even keep them up to date when the author releases an update.

Ok i have approved all new sign ups, but really the FB page is the go to for any news, info and downloads. I'm not a web designer by a long chalk and the webpage is really only a place holder/skeleton site that isn't updated very often, maybe one day a web programmer will come on board and I can get my dream of a racesimcentral type resources site for rF2 with everything organised and under one roof. Although the notes section and news feed of FB is pretty adequate atm.

UUHHGG! Man , I don't know what the heck is going on , but it still isn't working for me. I've tried probably 50 times to get that damned " Spell the word correctly " thing correct ( and I have ) and it still won't let me sign up. Love to join the site , but at this point it seems impossible unless someone fixes something.

is it the capcha thing ? I can only suggest trying a different browser, but seriously there is no new news on there, no downloads, nothing :) its just there to give me a presence on the www
Stick to the Fb page, even if you dont have a FB account you can still use it.

I see. And yeah it is the capcha thing at the bottom. Just doesn't except what is typed in for some reason. But I did check out your facebook page and you have that thing setup pretty cool. I don't use facebook , but all the links I saw work great. So thank you for that.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 336 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 465 39.0%