Why I don't race in iRacing anymore...

Sad but true. I have not raced in iRacing for weeks now (only try it every now and then maybe I change my mind).

Reason? Well, for some reason I cannot find grip in most cars and it seems that the cars never want to stop when I brake.

I can be quite fast in rFactor 2, nKPro and GCS2012 for example. True, first few laps, there is no grip as well, but then, especially in rF2, the car is glued to the road when the rubber is laid.

I can immerse very easily in rF2 and the car stops when I want and I know how much to push in corners. In iRacing, the car keep going out and out of the corner and the braking, I don't know, I cannot get the right feeling.

Am I doing something wrong in iRacing? Do you guys have the same experiece or its just me???

:(

I registered with the Cadillac promo a few weeks back but I haven't gotten into it as I had hoped.

The Cadillac feels quite strange with default settings and car setup. Turn in feels very sharp and it always wants to snap oversteer mid-corner.

I think my problem is I hop too frequently from one sim to another instead of focusing on one car in one sim for a while. I have 5 months left on the promo trial so I might try to get back into it but at the moment I much preffer GSC.

And what a disappointment it was, the handling was nowhere near, the FFB mediocre at best, and yes, the icy feeling too. I don't think there isn't enough grip in the game, .

I found the same thing, I was more than happy to stop MP GTR evo as it was slowing down, and just do all my MP on iracing, but got quite a shock at how ordinary it felt, that said, I liked the NTM from a few months ago, it seemed to fix the spec racer, but tbh, iracing isn't good enough as a driving experience for me to not only pay for the content, but to go to the bother of trying to figure out how to drive it to "my" satisfaction.

rf2 is also a mess lately with my G27, and I appreciate that if I had different wheel/pedals things might be different, but it would cost me approx $1800* to upgrade my G27, as I just have my G27 connected to my PC desk, so if I want to buy real heavy duty stuff, I need a sim rig as well.

*CSRe+CSPv2+$600 rig

GSC, most of Simbin and Netkar all work perfectly with my G27, but I don't see any reason to spend another cent on iracing, especially as they keep changing the TModel, that would annoy the hell out of me, especially if it didn't move toward GSC/GTR/Netkar performance.

Anyway, iracing have 35k members apparently, that sounds like a fail regardless of whether they're making money or not as despite many not only claiming it the best, they also call other sims subpar, however, they don't seem to be able to win over the sim community at large.

Sad but true. I have not raced in iRacing for weeks now (only try it every now and then maybe I change my mind).

Reason? Well, for some reason I cannot find grip in most cars and it seems that the cars never want to stop when I brake.

I can be quite fast in rFactor 2, nKPro and GCS2012 for example. True, first few laps, there is no grip as well, but then, especially in rF2, the car is glued to the road when the rubber is laid.

I can immerse very easily in rF2 and the car stops when I want and I know how much to push in corners. In iRacing, the car keep going out and out of the corner and the braking, I don't know, I cannot get the right feeling.

Am I doing something wrong in iRacing? Do you guys have the same experiece or its just me???

:(

Iracing is very overrated. ;)

I've been a member for almost three years and I haven't re-upped in two months now. I finally tried Netkar Pro a couple months ago and the driving felt so natural to me that I wasn't able to hardly make a lap in iracing on the road side...everything just feels so unnatural....Thought I would stick around for oval racing since that is what I do the most of but that side of the service is just about as borked as the road side...and Hampus, in three years of protesting when I get dumped, they have all been racing incidents.
The laser scanned tracks are incredible but the physics of all the cars are so whacked that I now have around a thousand dollars of content that I can't access and I have decided that I'm not giving them another nickle until they finally have an update that actually fixes things instead of adding content and minor graphical upgrades.

Agree on the protest thing same deal for me.

However regarding the physics it's from car to car, i doubt anyone in their right mind would complain about the HPD for example.
V8 is really close to the real thing and yes, it really does have that little grip.

It's a bit odd because as the NTM gets updates cars become good or bad, then next time it switches.
Mustang feels brilliant now.

Also make sire you have the right settings and linear mode (im sure you do after 3 years)

Ok but I'm interested about his though.
I have a poor experience about real race cars. I only drove several times a Lotus Seven on track and found this car very easy to drive (lot of grip) and that's why I'm a little bit disappointed with NTM because I'm still looking for the grip :)

It´s not far off at all, just different gearing and other small things. This is pretty damn good for being a simulation.

V8SC isn't heavy, and is effectively a custom built race car with a production shell on top, the idea that a car with that form factor should be deemed slippery defies common sense.
Don't you recall Chronus mentioning that race drivers inform him that race cars of that form are on rails?

I can also chime in that I used to drive my hotted up muscle cars around mountains in my local area, and on the way to Sydney, yet I barely even had a close call, and if they drove like some of the iracing cars, I'd be dead many times over, so I have a hard time believing iracing have got it right atm.

V8SC isn't heavy, and is effectively a custom built race car with a production shell on top, the idea that a car with that form factor should be deemed slippery defies common sense.
Don't you recall Chronus mentioning that race drivers inform him that race cars of that form are on rails?

I can also chime in that I used to drive my hotted up muscle cars around mountains in my local area, and on the way to Sydney, yet I barely even had a close call, and if they drove like some of the iracing cars, I'd be dead many times over, so I have a hard time believing iracing have got it right atm.
Video does not lie. Neither do telemetry from IRL and the game lie either.

The fastest guys in iRacing can probably take the V8 around a lap quicker then IRL drivers can.

Now what does that tell you? It tells you grip levels are more then fine, it´s most likely you who has been used to way too much grip in other titles and way to little practice in iRacing.
We know how much...excuse me...how little you have driven iRacing.

Look at any onboard showing throttle input and take a note at how easy they have to be with the throttle.
it´s not an on/off switch you need to have an egg under your feet to not spin the tires.

Recently, I've started working on iRacing's V8 Supercar with their new tire model and data acquisition program to actually overlay data from the iRacing V8 compared to my real V8 at Phillip Island. Unbelievable. The new tire model has such huge potential and is already a massive step forward for iRacing. Come take us on!

Shane van Gisbergen
V8 Supercar Driver
The iRacing V8 Supercar is exactly how it handles in real life pretty much to the T … the longer we worked on it the better it got … I think this will change the game in the case of the V8 Supercar Online Series. I'm sure you will see a lot more V8 Supercar drivers coming on.

Scott McLaughlin
V8 Supercar Dunlop Series driver
Whilst being a lot of fun, I find iRacing very beneficial to get myself ‘in the zone'. iRacing is so accurate with cars, circuits and setups, and together with my Hyper Stimulator simulator, it can't be anything but a great help. It gets me in the same competitive mental zone as the real thing and helps me work on being at my best under pressure.

Will Davison
Australian V8 Supercar Driver – Ford Performance Racing

2009 Bathurst Winner
I'm a big believer that iRacing helps with mental concentration and race craft. The cars and tracks are extremely accurate, and that in itself makes iRacing the best simulation I've driven. Whether it's used as a serious training tool, or for some fun with other online racers, iRacing ticks all the boxes.

Mark Winterbottom
Australian V8 Supercar Driver – Ford Performance Racing

It would be very expensive for iRacing to pay these people to say that,
Especially considering there´s almost 60 more testimonies from drivers/team bosses regarding the cars in iRacing.

Obviously they are not perfect but i´m positive the iRacing V8 is the best V8 supercar in all of simracing.

It would be very expensive for iRacing to pay these people to say that,

How do you how?...the V8 is licensed content, so presumably part of that financial arrangement includes endorsing the software.
Anyway, people only seem to complain about iracing grip levels, and some talk of taking months to learn to drive any given car, so I remain unconvinced for the moment, but I'll probably try again in the future.

Too many people complain about the handling of the iRacing cars only when hey have driven them with the baseline setups. Cadillac was a prime example, as with baseline it was a handful but get a decent setup applied it was a different beast. I guess same can be said of the V8.

I would presume David that you are only going on third party comments about the cars and not actually driving them, seeing as you appear to have signed up for service on 3 occasions (last used in Jun 2012) and only ever seem to have driven Legends, Solstice and MX-5.

So whilst you can claim that actual V8 drivers are only saying what they are saying because they have been paid, maybe the folks giving the negative comments you are alluding to are also just talking trash because it takes a bit of effort and practice to get the cars dialled in and so because they don't run like scalextric cars, they deem them to be badly put together in the sim.

;)

How do you how?...the V8 is licensed content, so presumably part of that financial arrangement includes endorsing the software.
Anyway, people only seem to complain about iracing grip levels, and some talk of taking months to learn to drive any given car, so I remain unconvinced for the moment, but I'll probably try again in the future.
So a team of small guys having a niche within a niche in the simracing market (most simmers think iRacing is way to expensive)

They are effectively sponsoring 60+ drivers just to get some testimonies.
Two of the guys you see in the quotes are regulars in iRacing, you can actually race with them on Australian times (given your iRating is as good)

If i had to guess which guys was really sponsored by iRacing it would be Earnheart and Travis Pastrana. Those are the ones i´ve seen with iRacing stickers on their cars.
It´s a pretty long list, http://www.iracing.com/testimonials/

As you say, V8 series is licensed, if anything that would allow you get the best possible data AND you have actual drivers being apart and developing the car.
But still, grip is too low? Because you say so? Because it feels like it?

Obviously it´s not 100% correct, that goes for any sim, but running 5 laps then complaining about grip levels is pretty useless.

I hate the V8, i don´t like it at all, it does have to little grip for me, but does that make it bad? No it just means i don´t like to drive boats.

If you need a month to learn how to drive iRacing then that´s your problem, not everyone else´s.

Anyway, people only seem to complain about iracing grip levels

At least 3 drivers have worked with iRacing: McLaughlin, SVG and Ambrose (in the beginning). It's hard to believe that with licenses or protocols with iRacing and some drivers actively participating in the development of the iRacing V8 supercar, other drivers would say different things. That's what iRacing is counting on and it's working for them in PR terms.

Other real world drivers have twitted or blogged about their experiences with iRacing and these are far from positive. Real life professional drivers have also given their feedback at iRacing forums on several cars and again the impressions are not positive (except for tracks, car visuals and setups). And it's always the same type of feedback: lack of grip, even at low speeds.

There is a low speed problem - it was acknowledged right after the NTM came out, no one hasn't discussed it openly ever since (not solved, but not discussed either).

There is still a transient grip problem. Dave Kaemmer said with the NTM they were addressing this issue and it would be solved. Still, complaints haven't stopped.

Then there're the old issues with the NTM that I'm quite surprised to read here still exist:
- temperature and grip
- pressure

It's a good sim with a great potential, a great service (the best), offers the best tracks (by far) but is letting a lot of people down due to tire physics (mostly).

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back