Why GP2 is the Perfect Entry Series to Formula 1

OverTake.gg

Administrator
Staff
With Formula 1 widely regarded as the pinnacle of motorsport, there is naturally a lot of competition for just 22 race seats. Drivers come from all over the world, across many different categories of racing from World Series by Renault to DTM.

One series that is perhaps closer to schooling drivers in F1 than any other is the GP2 Series. It is no coincidence that of the five rookies on the grid this season, four of those came from GP2 (Valtteri Bottas is the only one that didn’t). Below are six reasons why GP2 is the perfect stepping stone to F1:
  1. They use Pirelli tyres. It is no secret that the understanding of Pirelli’s tyres is the hardest challenge for teams and hardest for drivers to make work. The fact that GP2 also uses these compounds helps expose the drivers to understanding tyre wear, and setting up the car to help reduce excessive graining.
  2. All the F1 teams watch the GP2 races. It may be a separate category, but by racing on Formula 1 Grand Prix weekends you can be sure team bosses and engineers are scouting out their next potential driver. Regular mistakes can cost drivers a seat but displays of dominance may just secure a driver their future career.
  3. Drivers are exposed to the F1 paddock. It may seem like a simple thing but knowing where everything is in the paddock, and being exposed to the constant media surrounding early on will no doubt help the drivers get used to this by the time they move up, and can therefore concentrate freely on the racing.
  4. It helps drivers become familiar with circuits used in F1. Simulator work is also key in this but a few seasons racing in a lower formula on the same circuit will help familiarity no end.
  5. The stewarding process is very similar, often by the same stewarding panel as that weekend’s F1 race. This will inevitably help drivers understand the limits of what they can and can’t do, and what stewards often look for in on-track incidents.
  6. Contacts. What better place to gather contacts for an F1 career than at a Grand Prix weekend itself? This could be the difference between getting picked up by an F1 team or having to consistently negotiate across the whole paddock.

Of course, it isn’t purely about getting into a GP2 car and waiting for an F1 team to just hand a driver their race seat, and GP2 is by no means the only category that makes great drivers worthy of a top flight racing seat. But the reasons outlined above are all added benefits of racing in GP2 outside of just developing actual race craft itself, which few other series offer. You only have to look at some of the graduates from GP2 to know that it is a series packed full of competitive individuals and talented racers: Lewis Hamilton, Nico Rosberg, Pastor Maldonado, Nico Hulkenberg, Timo Glock and Heikki Kovalainen to name a few.

So if you are looking out for the next F1 world champion of tomorrow, then look no further than the GP2 Series and place your bets as the next generation of rookies are waiting to deliver.
View the Post on the Blog

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny how Bottas is the only rookie not from GP2, yet he is far and away the best rookie.

I've hardly ever watched GP2 because its not televised here, but all I know is that Johnny Cecotto Jr. should never be allowed to race for a Formula 1 team.

His behavior in Malaysia vs Sam Bird was just disgraceful.

I disagree with GP2. I think a few years ago GP2 was the natural nr2 but i think today there are far better drivers in World Series by Renault 3.5

You´ve got three guys already linked to teams in Formula 1,
Da Costa, Magnussen and Vandoorne all have been taken under the wing of Mclaren and Red Bull.
Then you have Sirotkin in there too and Sörensen which is impressing a lot now.

As far as the GP2 tires they are completely different then formula one tires (which btw changes every year)

Funny how Bottas is the only rookie not from GP2, yet he is far and away the best rookie.

I've hardly ever watched GP2 because its not televised here, but all I know is that Johnny Cecotto Jr. should never be allowed to race for a Formula 1 team.

Torro Rosso have named Cecotto for a test drive

Yes, it looked very much that he was practicing vs the AI in F1 2012 that whole week, and thought there was still no-one in danger when he actually got on track, and that he can take out his frustrations on the others.

Lol I don't even do that to the AI in F1 2012.

I still get angry when I see that footage.

Yes very true. When I drive in races, I am so immersed that I drive the way I would in real life. Some kids haven't learnt about respect for others with cars, and Cecotto is a prime example.

Kimi came from formula renault 3.5 , and he is a better driver than "Nico Rosberg, Pastor Maldonado, Nico Hulkenberg, Timo Glock and Heikki Kovalainen to name a few."

Kimi came from formula renault 3.5 , and he is a better driver than "Nico Rosberg, Pastor Maldonado, Nico Hulkenberg, Timo Glock and Heikki Kovalainen to name a few."

That's not really correct.

Before Kimi took part in F1, he competed in the Formula Renault 2000 Eurocup Series which I think is the equivalent of FR2.0 along with the Formula Renault 2000 UK Series. There was a lot of controversy about Kimi's entry into F1 as he had only done 23 professional racing events before entering F1 and many other drivers weren't happy with him being granted a super license.

Kimi is not a good example as he had such a weird background into Formula 1.

I disagree.

Mostly because GP2 is a "money-burrying ground", it costs even more than the Renault 3.5 World Series.

Surprised the teams had trouble filling their seats? Heck, a talent like Frijns didn't even start a season! Partially because guys like him have talent, but no backer/rich grandaddy/patron!

And just 40 mins ago, it was reported that He has his cockpit to Quaife-Hobbs because of the money. FREAKING BULLSHIT!

1. Wrong. In GP2, they don't learn how to cope with exploding tyres! They aren't the same...

2. Well, they're forced to, aren't they? Same weekend, same track... depends if they even have time watching it, they're busy enough on their own.

5. LOL! The Stewards are retarded at times. Fabio Leimer received a dubious penalty at Barcelona last year that cost him the win! Also, there was some driver(I think his manager is Nicloas Todt, guess that helps) who had a terrible weekend at Monaco(last season IIRC) where he got into trouble with other drivers throughout the weekend! The penalty was ridiculously small!

This year, someone called Sergio Canamasas after two dreaful accidents a "****ing idiot". He got fined 20'000 Euros IIRC. Well, guess the truth hurts...(*Reading it again* Actually, it was Joylon Palmer, he got fined 12'000 Euros and nearly got a race ban for just that statement. Wow.)

GG Stewards, good going. Do something useful for once!

Oh btw: Heikki Kovalainen won the World Series before be went on to finish 2nd in GP2. IMO, that's a bad example as he faired better in WSBR doh.

No thanks. Not just because I can't watch GP2 as it is on freaking Pay-TV. I'd rather watch WSBR on Eurosport. It's more interesting and has some great talents on the move:D

Sorry Mr Noble:p

I might have been posting that with a bit too much feelings, but GP2 is expensive as hell. If there was a trained monkey riding a unicycle and jugling balls with a big sponsor while holding a Superlicense, wanna bet he'd get signed?:p

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back