Why does AMS have fewer jaggies than rF2?

AMS should look worse, since it's based on rF1...

Do these lines in the PLAYER file, not found in rF2, make the difference?:

Mipmap Adjust Mode="1" // 0 = Disabled, 1 = Clamp, 2 = Bias
Mipmap Bias="-0.25000"

If not, what explains fewer jaggies and better in-motion look when all video card settings, resolution, etc., are identical?

Reactions: hex
I've noticed this as well.
No clue if those settings change anything, I doubt they do as they have nothing to do with AA. For some reason I just can't get rF2 to look good. I've even tried DSR and sweetFX and it still looks worse than AMS.

AMS doesn't have any antialiasing, it's all done by your graphic card (if you set it up according the manual). Maybe you didn't apply any AA for rF2 in your graphic card software?

AMS doesn't have any antialiasing, it's all done by your graphic card (if you set it up according the manual). Maybe you didn't apply any AA for rF2 in your graphic card software?

I am using identical settings on both sims. rF2 has great AA, except for certain textures or situations that result in shimmering and texture crawling and jaggies. AMS seems "locked-down" using the same settings. Looks like Chris has the same experience as me :(

RF2 takes more CPU power due to the complexity of it's physics, hence the slower frame rates. No excuse as to why it doesn't look as good as AMS though.

Lets not underestimate the amount of stuff that has to be calculated by GTA. Traffic both vehicular and pedestrian is pretty intense too and its all still only semi scripted and reacts randomly to itself.

Please stop the nonsense about physics calculations. Even a mainstream i5 can easily manage all the cpu load of rf2.

I had an old AMD Phenom and upgrading to an i5 @ 4Ghz gave me 2-3 fps on a 770 Gtx OC.

The graphic engine is just ugly both in terms of optimization and appearance.

Rockstar is just a horrible PC developer, all their PC ports suck.
High CPU load / weak performance is only to some extent connected to what's going on in the world ;)

rF2's minimum requirements (and we can assume that they don't simplify physics on slower machines) state: 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or 3.0 GHz AMD Athlon II x2 or better.
So with any somewhat recent CPU physics calculation will not be an issue.

A new piece of info that could be useful. I noticed that some of the same texture edge issues I get in the front view of rF2 show up in the rear view mirror of AMS. We know there is less processing happening in the mirror (in both rF2 and AMS), so does anyone know exactly what is not being done in the mirror?

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back