Why do my front wheels never regain traction in a skid?

Hello,

In the video below, I make a sloppy line error in the first curve of the Variente Ascarti at Monza and aim directly for the terrified little man in the orange jacket standing behind the guardrail. I over-correct the oppostite way to make the curve and end up spinning out of control. I understand that my steering input was obviously way too aggressive and this induced the spin, but I don't understand why my front tires never regained traction under braking during the actual spin.

I'm driving the AC default Aventador SV in 'Pro' mode under ideal track conditions.

I have the ProTyres app open on top of the screen that shows individual tire traction under braking (yellow to red on the tire icons indicates partial to full loss of traction). Additionally, I have the AC Pedals App open that displays real-time throttle and braking input. All tires show loss of traction as the spin ensues (understandable) but as I brake, the front tires never regain traction. At the same time, my counter-steering input as the spin ensues has no effect whatsoever as you can see. The front tires simply never regain any traction at any point until the car comes to a complete stop.

I've noticed this phenomenon several times in which counter-steer has no effect due to total loss of front tire traction in an enveloped spin and I'm just not sure if this isn't a bug with Assetto Corsa physics. Shouldn't the front tires still regain grip under braking at some point before the car comes to a complete stop and facilitate at least some counter-steering input? The way the physics are acting now is almost like the steering locks out completely in a spin and counter-steering is completely futile.

Thank you for any advice or insight you can offer me.

Last edited:
Well AC is a game, obviously you expect some odd outcome. The car rotate right & you see a total loss of traction right side before the left side at the end of the footage. When you brake in AC the car rotate from the front. OP had front traction the whole time.

If it was real life. The car would simply run into the wall. I mean it would continue to rotate counterclockwise when applying the brake.
Finally, the “expert” showed up

This thread describes the problem, although it IS NOT related to installation of Content Manager:

This thread describes the problem, although it IS NOT related to installation of Content Manager:

360 controller

Look people, the game is broken, this is all there is to it. All of you can sit here and pontificate forever if you'd like (I'm guessing this is a way to deny the bug). Front wheels lose all traction in an oversteering condition above about 65 mph and will never regain traction no matter what technique to recover is implemented.

Persons with actual real-world race driving experience would see this right away, but I guess the gamer corps on here has too much time and ego invested in the AC platform to ever acknowledge something like this. Just please don't ever even sit in a real car, let alone drive it, mmm-k? Thanks.

Assetto Competition fixed this in it's initial release as I mentioned earlier. Kunos simply decided to abandon Assetto Corsa and never update or fix it again. :whistling:
Mod Edit:
Removed insult.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look people, the game is broken, this is all there is to it. All of you can sit here and pontificate forever if you'd like (I'm guessing this is a way to deny the bug). Front wheels lose all traction in an oversteering condition above about 65 mph and will never regain traction no matter what technique to recover is implemented.

Persons with actual real-world race driving experience would see this right away, but I guess the gamer corps on here has too much time and ego invested in the AC platform to ever acknowledge something like this. Just please don't ever even sit in a real car, let alone drive it, mmm-k? Thanks.

Assetto Competition fixed this in it's initial release as I mentioned earlier. Kunos simply decided to abandon Assetto Corsa and never update or fix it again. I mean, typical Italians, right? :whistling:
I’ve been racing since 2008 and still think you’re talking rubbish.

In your original video you lift off oversteered a mid engined car towards a barrier and subsequently snap oversteered it to the right, with the two left wheels on the grass. That’s plenty enough to completely overrule anything you can do with the steering.

Every racing games have their weird quirk.

I guess it's the whole advertising that it's more than just a game. It leaves heavy disappointment for an end-user perspective.
Mod Edit: to remove insult.
Simracers is about stats & progress. You should throw the emotion out of the windows.

Last edited:
Every racing games have their weird quirk.

I guess it's the whole advertising that it's more than just a game. It leaves heavy disappointment for an end-user perspective.
Mod Edit: to remove insult.
Simracers is about stats & progress. You should throw the emotion out of the windows.
Very much so. Gamers without any real-world high performance driving experience will never know the difference, however.

Those with a reasonable level of physics knowledge can always spot b*ll*x without breaking sweat, or editing posts , or deleting videos etc etc etc .
Those with a reasonable level of physics knowledge wouldn't even be having this discussion about a flawed computer game. Why don't you show us how it's done then Jim? I challenge you to make a video with the default AC Aventador recovering from a snap oversteer scenario. Mind you, I'm not talking about a low speed drift video, but a true snap oversteer (if you know what that is), and then use real world recovery technique to prevent a spin. HINT: You won't be able to.

We'll all wait patiently though as you prepare a litany of excuses why you can't do this. :p

Last edited:
Those with a reasonable level of physics knowledge wouldn't even be having this discussion about a flawed computer game. Why don't you show us how it's done then Jim? I challenge you to make a video with the default AC Aventador recovering from a snap oversteer scenario. Mind you, I'm not talking about a low speed drift video, but a true snap oversteer (if you know what that is), and then use real world recovery technique to prevent a spin. HINT: You won't be able to.

We'll all wait patiently though as you prepare a litany of excuses why you can't do this. :p
Could you show us a real world snap oversteer recovery with an aventador?
I'm pretty sure these cars are very difficult to catch in reality! There are a lot of videos out there showing rich people crashing their Lambo's but I've never seen one saving a spin :roflmao:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 101 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 183 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 360 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 501 39.0%