Why do I struggle so badly to keep RWD cars on the road compared to...

This is not a thread to compare sim racing games, but I merely would like to know why I struggle so much to keep a RWD car in rF2 on the road compared to other sims.....

As an example, take AC, RE3, GSCE and pCars.....I can drive any RWD car in these 4 and go close to the limit and yet, somehow, I still keep the car on track.

I jump on rF2 RDW and I cant even make 1 lap without spinning. No, the track is not green but fully rubbered.

Maybe rF2 is into another league of its own, hard core stuff and I can't handle it....or is there some other freken reason that I am missing?

Yesterday, I had one of the most amazing races in RE3 with the Chevrolet Corvette Z06.R GT3...oh boy that was fun and I managed to keep with the fast ones.....

I would not be able to do 1 lap in rF2 with a similar car :(

At OP, I do not mean this as an insult but what background do you have other than driving sims? What I mean is have you ever studied vehicle dynamics or driving technique? If not, start with the Skip Barber Going Faster video available on youtube should be ~90 min long IIRC.

I spun a lot when I first started racing rF2, believe me. I was the most frustrated guy on earth for a few days, before getting the hang of it.
I was on a G27 back then, using the T500RS now.

Remember to dial the throttle sensitivity in when driving high powered open wheel cars. The "toy" pedals we're all using aren't exactly like those in the real cars, so you have to make up for that.

Dial you ffb in so that you get as much of a feel for what the rear is doing, otherwise you'll spin constantly. The G27 didn't give me the feel I needed (personal preference) so i switched to the more powerful T500 and viola, I am now completely aware of what's going on at the rear of the car at all times. In the historics and the modern open wheelers, this is essential.

Think about how much lock you're applying while working the gas, always. Don't go too deep into corners (inducing understeer) and then think you can get out of it by applying even more throttle, that'll cause a spin too. Listen for what the tires are doing, crank up the tire sounds so you know when they're skidding or sliding. Your tires aren't gripping properly if you keep spinning, make sure you're not applying too much steering lock.

Often you have to dial back your speed in rF2 because you're simply pushing beyond the limit. Most problems stem from braking too late and steering too aggressively.

All the techniques in this video applies to how you must drive in rFactor 2. The car is even available too in the sim. Watch the entire thing, take notes, go into the sim and try out some of the scenarios, go back and watch some more. This has helped a lot of newcomers.

That's FWD... or have we changed from the RWD topic and I wasn't paying attention?

No not really as I go quite fast with FWD......but I discovered that I cannot feel any FFB when on curbs, offroad etc, so was trying any car at silverstone to check this....

So I did a fresh install and after lots of testing I'm shocked to say that in rF2 I cannot feel any FFB details (hitting curbs, skidding, under braking, over/under steer, off road etc) at all :cry:

I can feel lots of things in other sims just nothing in rF2.....I really do not know what else to try :(

Can you post your controller.json or send a screenshot of all your settings. Sounds like probably wrong FFB settings or to much dampening etc.
Which RWD cars did you try the most and fail at?
It is a bit weird, because for me RWD cars in rF2 are for me easier than in all other sims at least when you are driving really fast, because you get a very immediate and clear feedback and other sims are a bit delayed or struggle to give the necessary feedback or you end up with weird pendelum effects etc.
Could you maybe make a video of a replay with you driving, so we can see paddle inputs etc.

With the fresh rF2 installed, I also put in the rF2 Pedal & FFB Overlay Plugin by TechAde which can be seen in the video. Maybe it can tell us some info..don't know

In this video, I hit walls, curbs and went offroad but I never felt anything in the wheel. The wheel feels heavy, which is good, bit no feedback is sent at all...

And here is my controller.json

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0v0uj0vxv0grfmk/Controller.JSON?dl=0

Thanks for checking it out!!!

With the fresh rF2 installed, I also put in the rF2 Pedal & FFB Overlay Plugin by TechAde which can be seen in the video. Maybe it can tell us some info..don't know

In this video, I hit walls, curbs and went offroad but I never felt anything in the wheel. The wheel feels heavy, which is good, bit no feedback is sent at all...

And here is my controller.json

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0v0uj0vxv0grfmk/Controller.JSON?dl=0

Thanks for checking it out!!!
If I am not mistaken you are using the old Formula Renault car, which is not really the best representation of rF2s physics. Try something like the Nissan GT-R (mind you have to blip manually on downshifts), Camaro GT3, Nissan 370z or the Formula Renault in the 2014 edition.

Here is the video with the FR 2014. There was no difference for me driving this or the 2000 one since there was no FFB in the wheel. I did not try to go fast, but just showing the wheel/ffb meter in the plugin at top left.

And this is my profiler settings

profiler.PNG

I think everything is OK with the logitec profiler.

But if you drive over a curb or hit a wall without touching your FFB wheel. The wheel remains in center? :barefoot:

You can assign a button to reset the FFB. I've assigned the "r" keyboard button to resset my FFB.

It can happen some times, when i hit race and go on track. I've got no FFB. But when i hit the "r" button, everything is OK again. But it happens only once a month or so.

To reset your complete settings and controler files. Temporarily move your userdata folder to a different location. At first launche, rF2 will create a new userdata folder with new default files. You'll need to config your graphic settings and controles again.
If it doesn't work simply copy/past your userdata folder back to its original location overwritte the files. And all your settings will be back as they are now.

Hey Stefan, I've not looked at the 2nd video but in the first it is evident you are clipping severely.

The profiler settings are fine, but in game at 1.30 is way too high.
We have to understand that the weaker the wheel, the more the compromise so the compromise you need to make is force for fidelity.

You may not like it or at least initially but you need this fidelity far more than you need the force. Drop it to 0.75 and do 5 laps, pay attention to the subtleties.

* Just watched the 2nd and it's still clipping but should have been notably better. Is it possible you could have a burnt motor?

Mat I agree!.........the thing is that if I put the FFB to 1.3, 0.1 or to 4 it absolutely does not make a difference. Its like its not reading the correct file. But it is, as when I change values, I go to the controller.json and properties are in fact changed there.

The motor is definitely not burnt and RE3, AC, iRacing, pCars, GSCE etc work perfectly fine...

I honestly do not know what else to try. At least, there are other games I can enjoy nowadays :p

Mat I agree!.........the thing is that if I put the FFB to 1.3, 0.1 or to 4 it absolutely does not make a difference. Its like its not reading the correct file. But it is, as when I change values, I go to the controller.json and properties are in fact changed there.

The motor is definitely not burnt and RE3, AC, iRacing, pCars, GSCE etc work perfectly fine...

I honestly do not know what else to try. At least, there are other games I can enjoy nowadays :p

Have you tried the same with the Formula ISI mod/FSR mod (basically the same thing)? I remember a distinct lack of feedback with the Formula Renault 3.5 as well with my G27, but the mod I just mentioned works fine.

You should give the Camaro GT3 or Nissan GT1 a go and see how it goes. Both have very good FFB.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 348 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 299 13.3%