Why Automobilista has outdated graphics?!

Seriously guys, i would lovely buy this game and i know it's amazing! But the graphics engine is outdated as hell... It's something like 15-20 years old but with higher quality textures.. It destroys any kind of immersion.... :-(

Not really my dept., but I know Alex does a lot of research into colors. I´d say real world is the actual reference though not other interpretations of such, and that looks like this:
157286_237175_luba0240.jpg

(also might be worth pointing out that lighting has been adjusted since that Mini screenshot).

Even a car painted primary red does not appear primary red in real life. The light of the day will change it to a washed out pink, a sunset deep red or a rainy purple.

The photo you just posted does not look realistic as it is a photo to be published (and a great one at that). But that is not how we see real motor racing. Real life is not like great photos and that's where the realistic feel of AMS is missing.

There's really no point in arguing about this, one screenshot looks more realistic than the other and it is all to do with the colours used. It doesn't take a genius to realise which of these screenshots looks real

hqdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

I dont think you guys are arguing but you should be nice. I think you make great points all in the best interest of the game. In real life I always thought the red & white Marlboro CART or even Senna's car looked more pink & white.

I always thought these were good examples of that concept although I was never able to understand why until today. :)
ZyqgLh5.jpg

6o6ZIFm.jpg

Of course opinions are just that, but personally I have no grudge at all with AMS graphics/colors. The view is sharp enough & detailed enough for racing and the excellent FFB provides what may be missing in visual realism. On the other hand, dynamic leaf shadows, for instance, bother me in PCars, as does the sudden washed-out external view caused by HDR in AC; after a while, it gets tiresome on the eyes. But then I am an old guy. If we were so nitpicky about resolution and color quality in movies as we are with games, no pre-2010 movie would ever pass the test and we would surely be missing a lot.

I mean, it is all about the overall experience you get, not about specific details, and this is mostly assembled in your head based on the external inputs you receive. When you watch a great black-and-white movie, you don't stop and think "wait, this is not realistic". Among current sims, AMS is the one that gets me sweating and my heart pounding the most during a tight race. Since I'm not there to enjoy the sunset, I'd say it does its job quite well.

Last edited:
Excellent! Look, I'm not trying to start trouble, just to point out a simple fix.

Although Senna's car is amazing in these pictures, look at the colours of the grass, road and sky. Do they look like this:

AMS_Mini_Curitiba.jpg

There's really no point in arguing about this, one screenshot looks more realistic than the other and it is all to do with the colours used. It doesn't take a genius to realise which of these screenshots looks real

hqdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

You keep posting other game´s screenshots with more lighting resources than AMS has though, I don´t think that validates your point that there´s some "easy fix" to getting colors all around spot on. When you have a simpler lighting system you´ll inevitably be dealing with compromises either way, and within those constraints our results in-game match the reference pictures we take of similar conditions very closely. Anyway you obviously have your mind pretty well made up, so no point discussing it further.

Mind you, I´ve never seen a white specular on a tire like you see in that Mercedes screenshot, so our perceptions of what realism is does seem to vary.

@xerocoul - that´s because the Malrboro red wasn´t actually red, but dayglo orange. No game has ever got that right either. If and when we do one, someone will probably complain it´s too cartoony and not realistic :p

Last edited:
For me the tracks and textures of AMS are the best on the genre, specially after AC graphics downgrade for the consoles, but due to the lack of any kind of post processing or hdr the lighting doesn't look that real and Sweetfx doesn't seem to be enough.

If they make a step forward trying to implement a proper post processing filters or hdr they would probably get one of the best looking graphics.

You keep posting other game´s screenshots with more lighting resources than AMS has though, I don´t think that validates your point that there´s some "easy fix" to getting colors all around spot on. When you have a simpler lighting system you´ll inevitably be dealing with compromises either way, and within those constraints our results in-game match the reference pictures we take of similar conditions very closely. Anyway you obviously have your mind pretty well made up, so no point discussing it further.

Mind you, I´ve never seen a white specular on a tire like you see in that Mercedes screenshot, so our perceptions of what realism is does seem to vary.

@xerocoul - that´s because the Malrboro red wasn´t actually red, but dayglo orange. No game has ever got that right either.
Load up LFS, They are beating you guys easy,

Look at my post above. You are talking rubbish, Light rays and haze are not what AMS lacks, it is realistic colours.

A simple fix.
you can find the same colors in AC screens too (with red even closer to 255,0,0 Red, etc) .. it is just matter of saturation, vibrancy, whay that surfaces reflect light on different angles ... btw on that picture there is no primary colour .. red there is not just red, yellow is not just yellow, etc ... partialy fixable in SweetFX .. they just need to get it right

At which case why you are not doing exactly that and thus leaving these silly old gMotor2 titles ignored taking dust is beyond me...
I didn't realise we had to commit to just one racing sim,

Is there some kind of ceremony I should attend or should I beg forgiveness for playing two sims at once? I also still play Grand Prix 4. I should be ashamed of myself.

you can find the same colors in AC screens too .. it is just matter of saturation, vibrancy, whay that surfaces reflect light on different angles ... btw on that picture there is no primary colour .. red there is not just red, yellow is not just yellow, etc ...
You are right, saturation is probably the most critical change needed. Thanks

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back