Why are wheelstands so expensive?

Is there a good reason for this?

Minimum price for one is like $130, and that's for one without a seat.

Guess I'm stuck with 2x4s until the prices become reasonable. My current stand works fine and was built entirely for free. but I splurged and spent $1.50 on spray paint.

I just feel like some of the real wheel stands would be way more solid, it's a shame that they've always been out of my price range.

My dad used to sim and in 1991 he built a wheelstand for his wheel, anyway once he couldn't race anymore he passed it down to me, whacked my Force Feedback wheel on and it's still solid as a rock, not bad for somthing that's 7 year old than myself :D

Upvote 0
I have seen some laptop stands made into wheelstands with very little fabrication. I can't find them now, but they used the keyboard holder for the wheel deck and took the laptop holder/platform off and used it for the pedal plate, which strenghtened it overall, if I remember. Took the wheels off.

It was a Walmart brand, under $40. It was quite impressive. ;)

Which stands would you recommand?

Upvote 0
If you want something solid it's going to cost you money. I'll give you an example...

Has anyone watched the ISR episode where Shaun decided to build a DIY rig? That rig still costs around $100 and it was made of wood. But it was solid. If you are thinking that you can get a solid rig for under that price, you're kidding yourself unless you already own the materials.

Most Sim racing stand companies don't make much profit from their products. If they did, they would be much bigger companies. Most companies like this aren't very profitable.

Upvote 0
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.288068201237017.67657.171054096271762&type=3
393484_288068291237008_1822746347_n.jpg

Here are the pics. Not great pictures. all you have to do is cut the shape for the side to suit. Take some bits the correct width for yourself and screw them together at 90 degrees for the seat and screw on the sides at a angle which you feel comfortable at. then creat the n section for the wheel and screen this section needs to be glued and screwed together to allow for force feed back. then screw that to the sides also. ( you could use wing nuts and washers and creat a slot so that it is easily adjusted if you wish) the peddles sit on the floor but it wouldnt be hard to creat a platform for them. Lastly I just ran all around with a router to round the edges off. Remember always wear a mask when using mdf. and for a better finish paint it :)

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 274 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing