Why am i so slow?

I'm always 3-4 seconds slower than the best times in every circuit

My best time at Bathurst is 2m 09s 500ms
At Paul Ricard is 2m 08s 500ms
(with medium tyres)

I always reach maximum RPM and brake as late as posible, also my racing lines are exactly the same as pole laps onboard videos, does someone has any idea of what am i doing wrong?

What car are you using for Bath? 911 RSR 2017/18 not fully trimmed out, 2:06.1 You're losing time some where, hard to tell from here.

2rxg0u8.png

To brake as late as possible is not always fastest.
Often you lose much time on the straight, because you cant go as early on the throttle when you brake that late.

Also: Setup.
Have you changed the setup? A good setup will bring you better lap times on the straights alone, some corners can be driven much faster and you probably will drive more consistently and faster auromatically.

To brake as late as possible is not always fastest.
Often you lose much time on the straight, because you cant go as early on the throttle when you brake that late.

Also: Setup.
Have you changed the setup? A good setup will bring you better lap times on the straights alone, some corners can be driven much faster and you probably will drive more consistently and faster auromatically.

Using the Mclaren 650S

I set toe to +0.20 (wheels pointing inside) at the rear and -0.10 (wheels pointing outside) at the front. Camber 3.5 at the front 2.5 at the rear, hide height to 56 at the front and 66 at the rear. Rear wing at 8.0...

That is a lot of toe-in the rear, lot of straight line speed scrub and corner binding. Camber - make adjustments to get close to equal tire temps across the entire carcass of the tire. And get that rear ride height down, the higher, the more chassis roll in the rear, doing the opposite to a degree of what the front is doing in its ride height. A little rake aint a bad thing, but excessive is.

Front toe - more (-) gets quicker turn in - to a point. Then think of the rear toe. Then of course, comes spring rates, roll bars etc.

Using the Mclaren 650S

I set toe to +0.20 (wheels pointing inside) at the rear and -0.10 (wheels pointing outside) at the front. Camber 3.5 at the front 2.5 at the rear, hide height to 56 at the front and 66 at the rear. Rear wing at 8.0...

I don't recall my settings off the top of my head but 8 rear wing is too much. I was running 4. I can share my 650s setup which is good for 2:05's and likely a high 2:04 with a better driver. To note, I don't really change the setup and only adjust the gearing and tire pressure from track to track. I don't know what I'm doing setup wise so I rather focus on improving my driving.

To be blunt, you're not going to find 3-4 seconds from setup so I'd focus on the driving first. Perhaps use a slower car like a MX5 Cup and learn to be smooth with the controls so you're maximizing momentum. That skill of preserving momentum is key no matter if you're in a slow car or a F1 car.

Super late hard braking will upset the car and kill your entry speed. This feels like you're really going fast but in reality you're killing your entry speed by having to overslow the car because the weight transfer is all messed up. Think of the brakes as a means to set your entry speed. Be smooth with coming off the brakes and applying the throttle. This will let you roll more speed into the corner.

@Chris Down is our native 650s expert so he might have some nuggets specific to setup but I'd say, there some driving cleanup to be had here before setup starts making a major difference.

Camber - make adjustments to get close to equal tire temps across the entire carcass of the tire. And get that rear ride height down, the higher, the more chassis roll in the rear, doing the opposite to a degree of what the front is doing in its ride height.

I heard somewhere that the inner temp should be like 8º higher than the outter, while the middle temp should be between inner and outter.

And that the rear ride height must be for some reason 10-15cm higher than the front ride height.

Hiya Bruno, we chatted briefly on the server during free practice if you remember, and I sat in your car for a few laps - as you did mine.

You're not slow and you're damn quick in some other races - though when I saw you at Bathurst the first thing that came to mind was you've not spent enough time on the track (it's unique, a tough one!) - lots of sawing at the wheel and inconsistent lines, which, considering this you were still within a second of a time for mixing it with the top end of midfield. As others here have rightly said, slow down and 're-group', maybe start with going back to some basics, work on not ever missing an apex and with that build your entry and exit speeds from there... still always hitting the apex!:p

If you look at Chris Down's videos, this link will help you find him
, he's great to watch (as are other aliens!), and honestly, just watching others like Chris, Aki, Wolff, Dymitri, Henri and many others gives great insight into how to improve.

With regard to setup, consider your driving style, whether you can keep it on track consistently for an hour (to finish first, first you have to finish etc).

John

and I sat in your car for a few laps - as you did mine.

What do you mean?

You're not slow and you're damn quick in some other races

I think you are confusing me with someone else

though when I saw you at Bathurst the first thing that came to mind was you've not spent enough time on the track

Because at some point of the race, everybody ahead of me starts to be 2 seconds faster a lap than me, and i end up racing "alone", that's why i quit before the end of the race.

As others here have rightly said, slow down and 're-group',

Whether my english is limited or i just didn't understand what you tried to say here.

work on not ever missing an apex and with that build your entry and exit speeds from there... still always hitting the apex!:p

I try, but it doesn't matter how much i do it, i still 3 seconds off.

Here's my best lap around Bathurst in Audi 2016 GT3. Not a perfect one though, there's probably about half a second left, but it's a damn difficult track to put a perfect lap on. For +27C and medium tires (softs would melt in this car) I'll take it.

Bathurst is one of the toughest tracks I have raced in AC (I drive on the ac track reboot one), up there with Macao. I did 3 full race weekends (around 7 hours overall) against the AI in the week before the league race (RSS GT1 cars) and still was not able to feel comfortable. I think it takes more effort than other tracks to learn properly. Exciting track though! I am not "alien" fast, but here are my tips if you are interested:
  • I use the Sidekick app: it shows the real time delta which is useful to learn the track quickly, and shows the ideal tire pressures so I can quickly adjust those.
  • At least 3 full race weekends against AI (I put them at 100%): as I need track time, at least this is fun.
  • I use a FOV of 30 on my 21:9 29" display. More realistic FOV for me makes driving fast easier. It is all subjective though, as viewing less on the sides has shortcomings.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 142 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 251 13.3%