Why am I so rubbish at braking ?

I suspect this is more a driver issue, but posting in here in case it's setup or anyone can offer any advice.

I run a Logitech G29 but my braking distances are way bigger than most of the cars im racing. If I do Le Mans with the 919 or Ts 040 I get overtaken by the GT cars going into the chicances. I always seem to get repassed by cars going into corners and just cant brake the same as other cars in the game.

Not sure if it's my driving or if there is anything I can do in the setup \ config to help. Im losing a lot of time here, so this could really help me improve as a racer.

Want to try some online racing, but no point doing that if I can overtaken at every corner.

I'll try and upload some footage to youtube later show what I mean

I had exactly the same issue as you with my G29, but my problem was that if I pressed the brake pedal too hard, it pushed me away from the desk :) So i went to calibration, and calibrated the brake pedal so that the game thought that full travel was 75% movement. Now I get maximum braking all the time. It's a little more sensitive, but I'm getting used to it.

Thanks. Never been able to make the corners when I brake at the 100 boards, I’ll do a bit more practice .

Try running a Time Attack event and post your best lap time. Work on braking and powering out.

Here's a fun video I created of myself working on my braking. A little bit of back story. I bought my very first Load cell pedals from Fanatec (club sport CSL). My previous pedals were a G27 Logitech. It took me maybe a week to get used to the new LC brake pedal.. in this video I concentrated on easing off the brakes as I turned in. I also had the ABS turned off to make sure I was giving the brake pedal proper pressure and not go beyond lock up. It's not a perfect lap, but enough to get gold.

ocase

Try running a Time Attack event and post your best lap time. Work on braking and powering out.

Here's a fun video I created of myself working on my braking. A little bit of back story. I bought my very first Load cell pedals from Fanatec (club sport CSL). My previous pedals were a G27 Logitech. It took me maybe a week to get used to the new LC brake pedal.. in this video I concentrated on easing off the brakes as I turned in. I also had the ABS turned off to make sure I was giving the brake pedal proper pressure and not go beyond lock up. It's not a perfect lap, but enough to get gold.

ocase
My advice on braking would be to stop driving these godawful cars and take something that can teach you. Look at how much different the your braking is into maggots is than the rest of the braking zones. In that corner the GT3 cars react well to brakes due to high aerodynamic pitch sensitivity. But for most of other corners, even when you have load cell, your braking sensitivity can be summarized as 3 steps: "low, medium, high" as the car can't respond clearly to more detailed inputs. So try driving something that actually can pivot on the brakes.

Also no ABS can be useful sometimes but for practice braking try cranking up the ABS FFB effect (to ~50 and beyond, depends on wheel). Thou again because of the way these stupid cars are designed, you can't really aim to have ABS not engage at all, which is pretty bad if you run no ABS, and with FFB effect it will be harder to know what is correct.

You don't control the rear end or rotation with the brake pressure. You just plow with the brake to get front vertical load & use the steering to makes the car rotate from the front. When it rotate, you reduce brake pressure & repeat.

My advice on braking would be to stop driving these godawful cars and take something that can teach you. Look at how much different the your braking is into maggots is than the rest of the braking zones. In that corner the GT3 cars react well to brakes due to high aerodynamic pitch sensitivity. But for most of other corners, even when you have load cell, your braking sensitivity can be summarized as 3 steps: "low, medium, high" as the car can't respond clearly to more detailed inputs. So try driving something that actually can pivot on the brakes.

Also no ABS can be useful sometimes but for practice braking try cranking up the ABS FFB effect (to ~50 and beyond, depends on wheel). Thou again because of the way these stupid cars are designed, you can't really aim to have ABS not engage at all, which is pretty bad if you run no ABS, and with FFB effect it will be harder to know what is correct.

Thank you for the feedback. I think you're absolutely right about the car. I started running open wheel cars, and they seem to react a lot better under braking, and handling in general. I also started running with no traction control just to force myself to be more mindful of the throttle. I hoping all of this will translate to real life once we get back in real cars again.

Early on power mean "late on/off throttle control".

If you're on the ideal racing line, you have to be sure that you decelerate before the apex & accelerate after the apex.

Simracing driving skill is all about arcade methodology & techniques in order to create elite lap times.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 299 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 207 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 200 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 150 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 265 13.6%