Who Will Drive for McLaren in 2015?

So Jenson Button's contract is up at the end of this year. Assuming Magnussen will stay at McLaren next year, who do you think will partner him?

McLaren might opt to renew Button's contract for another year. Does he have the potential to deliver them another drivers' world championship though? If not he is at least consistent, and does get regular points for the team which may help them in their fight for the constructors' world championship.

Another possible option is Alonso. He seems to be getting increasingly disillusioned with Ferrari, and although there has been bad blood between him and McLaren in the past Ron Dennis has expressed a willingness to put it behind him. The bad blood between them was quite a long time ago now too, so things have more than likely settled.

The third option is Hulkenberg. He's proven over the last few seasons to be exceptionally talented, and maybe even a potential WDC winner. Plus, he has quite a decent amount of F1 experience now.

Another option might be Grosjean. He has shown last year that when given a decent car he can race right up there with the best. He also seems to have calmed down quite a bit on track, and to have matured significantly as a driver over the last season. With his ex-team boss Boullier now being at McLaren, could a potential move there for Grosjean be on the cards?

Are there any other drivers you think McLaren might try to get? Let everyone know in the comments!

• Deleted member 161052

It wouldn't be a problem if Alonso will return back to McLaren.

I think they will sign Button for another year. I don't think Magnussen is ready to lead the team at the end of the year. And I don't see another experienced driver move over to McLaren. But I seriously doubt it if Button will deliver McLaren another WC. The best chance for that is Magnussen.

After having so much time to focus development on 2014 due to their rubbish car last year, it's even more disappointing and unacceptable for McLaren to have a car this poor in 2014. So as much as Alonso might be sick of Ferrari being the same, I don't see why he'd want to move to McLaren again.

Hulkenberg? Maybe. But they could need money. Well at least now they will have engines developed very long with Honda.

I would believe honda interested in hiring alonso (and thus him going to mclaren), but with the terrible team choices he has done since he left renault (I think he had the chance for brawn GP and even RB once, would that not have changed recent F1 history!) it would be almost a guarantee of horrible car (and Ferrari dominating, LOL).

I also think hulkenberg deserves a top car. On the other hand, I see the force india more capable of winning than the mclaren, as it stands this year, so might be actually a step back.

I believe they will sign Jenson for another year.
After all it is a time of changes and they will probably go with more experienced driver. And that is if Magnussen stays.
But lets wait and see.

I hope it's Kobayashi. Wouldn't be too surprising for Honda to want a Japanese driver onboard and he's the most competent of the bunch.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 112 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 154 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 289 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 419 39.7%