Who Was Your Sim Racing Developer of the Year?

The hardcore market is very small today. Thats what i was talking about. Look at the most hardcore sims and how few people are playing them. The simpler/simcade - not arcade - have more players, and the arcade racers has millions of players. The hardcore simmers who love realism, unforgivable, punishing if make mistakes, learning to setup their cars, do endurance racing etc is a small group compared to the Forza/GT/arcade masses.

From my experience that is changing a bit, people are getting more refined when it comes to "gaming" and the simulation world is growing very fast. Of course GAMES will allways sell millions because they're made for entertainment purposes only, kids or ignorants will allways fill that market (the majority), but there's something changing about those people that are in the middle. If you look for real motorsport fans aged above 30 for sure they're looking for realism more than ever...

Racing doesn't seem to be too popular in general. Am I right that Assetto Corsa is the most popular racing game in steam now ?

The most popular things in games seems to be very good online experience, and good single player. AC for example wasn't even developed with great depth for online, as far as I remember Stefano has said once that they never expected AC to get very popular so they didn't spend a lot of resources for online. It was modded great deal by community - RSR livetiming plus SRS alone made AC 2x more attractive. It also was the best time time when community servers like ALOOG and STREETFIGHT were big. Right now leagues is also big drive for AC, here in Lithuania there is one big big league which has 100-50 participants, and it is Lithuania, who even knows what Lithuania is ? :D

Now in rFactor2 online is nearly not existing, apart leagues. I have not raced online in rF2 yet, just had practice session online once and was really hooked. If with new UI rF2 gets online traction, then I can see rF2 players count increasing by 100%, also if rF2 would get enter to SimRacingSystem and get something equivalent to RSR livetiming then it would be big big deal.

For me, it’s so easy, Studio 397. They have done a great work in 2018 and with the upcoming new UI and new graphic improvements, new online system, Nurburgring........ 2019 is going to be even more and more successful for rfactor2, the best and complete sim in the market.

The hardcore market is very small today. Thats what i was talking about. Look at the most hardcore sims and how few people are playing them. The simpler/simcade - not arcade - have more players, and the arcade racers has millions of players. The hardcore simmers who love realism, unforgivable, punishing if make mistakes, learning to setup their cars, do endurance racing etc is a small group compared to the Forza/GT/arcade masses.
This is not new, but there are much more sim racers than before, and they are willing to spend money in their hobby. If it wasn't the case the current developpers would stop developping titles and there won't be so much costly wheels and rigs available.

Simplified titles have always been a huge thing before and will be. The "hardcore" community has always been needing them, they bring attention on the racing genre in general and during many years they have provided content to the more advanced sims by content conversion. Rfactor or gtr2 or race07 would not be the same without all the great conversions from the toca race series. Sim racing will die the day the less advanced titles will die. There is no conflict between them. What may kills the genre is the conflicting spirit of the simracing community, each sim racer being a physics guru and a mechanic and aerodynamic expert, calling other games, he is not competent with, garbage or simcade. But on the positive side it means that simracers have the choice between sufficient titles for everyone.

Last edited:
Racing doesn't seem to be too popular in general. Am I right that Assetto Corsa is the most popular racing game in steam now ?

Well the Crew2 has the same amount of people connected than AC currently :D... But in 6 months I'm pretty sure it won't be the case anymore.

F1 2018 has less users but with 10 times less content. I doubt AC's F1 content has more users than F1 2018.

It's hard to state AC is the most popular. It needs more refinement. As a general sim with modding capabilities, it is more popular than others. As a racing title, I'm not sure, codemasters main market is console racers. Gran turismo, pcars2 on console, AC on console, these figures are missing

Last edited:
For me it was SCS - ETS2 Updates the last year where all great improvements for the game.
Cause of that, i played RF2 & AC(C) much less the last year.
But Forza7 was also much improved since release

Tried all of the "big name sims" these holidays, some I haven't played in years.

Raceroom was my vote. My worst experience was Rfactor2, which leaves me perplexed at the poll results. I'm not voting on physics, but on overall experience.

Tried all of the "big name sims" these holidays, some I haven't played in years.

Raceroom was my vote. My worst experience was Rfactor2, which leaves me perplexed at the poll results. I'm not voting on physics, but on overall experience.

You are perplexed because you are not informed about it ;)

Anyway i don't blame you, some people only know how to drive a car, not how it behaves/how everything works...

Yeah I have to read more about it. Take my impressions as if I was someone from "outside the news" with "regular" expectations. I suppose context matters in these things.

Yeah I have to read more about it. Take my impressions as if I was someone from "outside the news" with "regular" expectations. I suppose context matters in these things.

No problem mate, just don't be perplexed on something you don't know anything about! It also depends on what your "regular expectations" are! Anyway it's not the purpose of the voting. Cheers!

Sigh @ all the people with negative responses to this.

I was wondering what in particular made it the worst experience?

Your issues may have a fix, or may affect other people and may be in the pipeline for fixing/improving by the devs, already.

Sigh @ all the people with negative responses to this.

I was wondering what in particular made it the worst experience?

Your issues may have a fix, or may affect other people and may be in the pipeline for fixing/improving by the devs, already.

Just User Interface type of stuff.
Formula E 'Gen2' Teased for rFactor 2

People who only use it to race with AI, RD leagues or with specific groups, probably avoid most of the issues.

Easily Kunos. Why?...

They're the only developer that really developed anything. When 90% of updates are just bug fixes or pumping out more cars and tracks, well, that for me is not simracing development and that's what the majority of simracing devs have done. However, if you look at Kunos' development with ACC, there are lots of actual simulation developments regarding simracing physics - aerodynamics modeling and all sorts of other physics elements have been developed into ACC.

Having said that, I am thankful for, and appreciate, all dev's updates regardless (eg. Reiza with AMS, and Sector3 with R3E).

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 348 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 299 13.3%