Who Was Your F1 Driver of the Year?

Hamilton was the fastest, Kimi the most consistent, Max made the best comeback, Leclerc outperformed his car the most, Vettel had a couple of turning points this season (literally lol) and Vandoorne was the most disapointing.

• Mikko Lashay

Hamilton for me. He has softened his rough edges and it's a big achievement.

Yes he was definitely the luckiest champion of all time, did you see the amount of retirements Lewis had?

An ERS failure at the start of qualifying in China, relegating him to 22nd on the grid. He finished seventh.

An ERS failure during Q3 in Russia, restricting the Mercedes driver to 10th on the grid. He finished second.

An engine mode issue during the European GP.

He finished fifth having started in 10th following a crash in qualifying

A hydraulics fault during Practice Two in Singapore which was cited as a critical factor in his defeat to Rosberg. He finished third.

An engine blow-out in Malaysia which cost him an almost-certain victory.

There is, of course, no way of determining how many points Hamilton's 'bad luck' has cost. But it could be easily argued that it has denied him at least in a conservative opinion 40 points this year - 12 in China, when Mercedes were a class above the rest, 25 in Sepang, and ten in Belgium when Hamilton was relegated to the back of the grid after Mercedes introduced fresh power units to compensate for his early-season failures.

So coming here giving it about Rosberg is mindless but i have come to expect no less here, bring it on.

Also he quit knowing he would never ever get that lucky again what a true Champ haha.

Reliability is part of motorsports, you know.
Lewis also lost it by having poor starts at the crucial part of the season, while Rosberg was nailing them. Starting the car properly is also part of racing.

How the hell Kimi has nearly three times more voted than Sebastian?
I wabt to hear that argument...

The surprising part is that Vettel has any vote at all. He finished almost 100 points behind the champion while having the best car for a good part of the season. He had long a period where he hit everything on the racetrack except the safety car.
Kimi was more consistent and has been screwed many times by the team's strategy, mostly to make room for the so called leader Vettel.

Last edited:
Leclerk looks half decent on a dry track, but very poor when there is a sprinkle of water.
I'm not sure if that skill can be improved at this stage.
That is concerning, as it is never a trait associated with championship contenders.

Leclerk looks half decent on a dry track, but very poor when there is a sprinkle of water.
I'm not sure if that skill can be improved at this stage.
That is concerning, as it is never a trait associated with championship contenders.
Massa was a championship contender and nearly was champion.

He certainly wasnt a rain master

Hamilton and it's not even debatable.
vByvlsC.png

Driver's vote:
qcJIdyh.jpg

Ratings from Journalists:
mFaspO5.png

I read a lot of Leclerc but he has not driven a top team with all the pressure that comes with it that is a other story.. . we will see next year
And Marcus is also not a teammate who is very strong. But he is good without doubt!!

Hamilton this season again in the rocketship..and also have a teammate (Bottas) who is not very strong... but true the Ferrari was the beter car at high speed. He did a very good job stay focused... and maybe Vettel is not at all as good as people think. Vettel lost this year the title what I said with a very good Ferrari.

I voted at max. beat his experienced teammate 15-6 in qualifying and Ricardo is not a pancake .. he was better than his car in the second half of the season after a rough start early this year. He was often on stage every time. A lot of criticism did not happen every week or rightly so. But at that age stay cool and show it ... then you are great. Hopefully Redbull will give a car next year that can participate. Max is the only one that Lewis is really afraid of ... and hopefully Leclerc will also be there .. because the world titles will be a bit easy to win for Lewis this way.

Am looking forward :thumbsup:

Last edited:
First, I thought the question was "Driver of the Year", not "The Best".

My thinking is in line with the others, between Hamilton and Leclerc. Hamilton had some low spots, but they way he and the team nutted up when the season wore on was really impressive. Two seasons in a row he's obliterated the competition down the stretch. I'd argue 3 seasons because he had Rosberg on the ropes when his engine blew in Malaysia handing Nico the title.

But for Driver (and story) of the Year, I'll give it to Leclerc. That car started as horsehooey, but the fact that he finished 6th in it and was in multiple Q3s is very impressive. Part of the story is knowing he will be promoted to Ferrari and will likely make an impact in the races next season. This was a big coming out year for him. I'm not a Ferrari guy, but I'm rooting for him to give Vettel the "Ricciardo" treatment of 2013.

Even when I am Vettel and Kimi fan, I must say that Lewis was the best this season. I don't care about his 'belladonna behaviour'. He is just an awesome driver, very consistent and talented. No one wins 5 WDC's because of luck.

I am no Hamilton fan, but he was driver of the year, without any doubt. Verstappen would have given him a run for his money if his first half of the season would have been similar to the 2nd half (the 2nd half of the season, only Hamilton scored more points, but with a much better engine). I see Leclerc is on top atm, which I also can understand, but I want him to drive a full season in a car that is expected to win races and maybe even a championship. The pressure that comes with that is much different than driving in a Sauber (with a great Ferrari engine btw). He showed he is very talented, but let's see if he can handle the pressure next year, which is the highest driving at Ferrari I would think.

Last edited:
In what ways do you think the 2002 season was more interesting than the 2018 season?

Pfft. Michael Schumacher? A young Kimi Räikkönen? Montoya on his top form? Rubens Barrichello still young and doing a great job? McLaren still strong? Villeneuve still around? Far more interesting cars and much less leftism going around? It wasn't my favorite year, but it's a far cry from the snooze fest that F1 is today.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back