Who is/are your favorite driver(s) of the 2018 season?

Bram

Founder & Administrator
Staff
Premium
Tell us your favorite drivers of the current Formula 1 season and most importantly why do you favor your choice over the other drivers.

So, found time now:

I don't really have a favourite driver, but i enjoy seeing great performances. Makes me wanna root for the driver.

There are five drivers really standing out for me this season. All of them have more scored at least twice as many points as their teammates. Comapring teammates is the easiest method to compare drivers in my opinon. Still, it's really difficult to choose which driver is my favourite so far. I'll just list the drivers that stand out in my opinion:

Let's start with Kevin Magnussen. He had a good start into his F1 career with his podium. Apart from that i was quite disappointed with his performance and his attitude.
But he slowly seems to learn and this season he really gets it going. Another one who needed time to mature and suddenly delivered was his teammate, Romain Grosjean. He had some great performances and speed driving for Lotus, but right now he fails to impress. Currently Magnussen has 19 points while Grosjean has 0. The only other driver that still hasnt scored is a Rookie in an inferior car.

Speaking of Rookies: Charles Leclerc is driving an impressive first season. You can't expect much from a Rookie in the first races, driving a bad car. But he drives really well and lately it even showed with two point scoring results in a row. He handled his failure in Monaco like a mature professional and not like a Rookie. In the right car and a bit more experience he surely is World Champion material. His teammate and far more experienced driver Marcus Ericsson only has 2 points while Leclerc has 9 already. Of course points don't always tell the whole story but there always lies much truth in them.

Another fresh driver is Pierre Gasly. I don't believe the Toro Rosso is a very good car. Still Gasly manages to only be 2 points behind the experienced and quick Sainz, who is driving a Renault. He also is only 1 point behind the fastest Haas and is in front of both Force India (with great drivers), the second Haas, a McLaren, both Sauber, Williams and most importantly: 17(!) points in front of his teammate. He will have a good future in F1.

I alrady am a small fan of Leclerc and Gasly and hope they do well in the future.
Ever since Bottas tested on fridays for Williams, i hoped that for him, too. He was really quick and i was so happy when he got the drive at Mercedes. He showed moments of greatness, but he still needs to grow. If he does not watch out his career will be more similar to Barrichellos or Webbers in F1. With a bit more luck he would be closer to the top of the standings already.

Not so fresh anymore, but still a fan-favourite: Fernando Alonso never fails to impress. In his McLaren he is the best of the rest behind the top teams with staggering 32 points, 3 points behind Max Verstappen. Meanwhile his teammate Vandoorne just can't seem to catch up in the races (although he does a pretty decent job to be fair). Fernando is just a world-class teammate.

Now, one who is always there when there is the chance: Daniel Ricciardo.
I underestimated him before he switched to Red Bull, but ever since he beat Vettel he is one of the best. Sadly his car always was. He is very mature on track and a lovely personalitly outside the track. Clinical overtakes (ok, baku is up for discussion, whose fault was it?). Consistent. Quick. He already won twice this season. His praised teammate gets frustrated more and more and compared to Ricciardo starts to fade away as a true opponent. Max Verstappen is kind of a prodigy, but unlike Ricciardo he does not have the whole package.
I hope Ricciardo can win the championship someday. He surely is capable of it in a good enough car.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 73 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 144 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 272 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 397 40.0%