Which Was The Best F1 Race of 2018?

Jimlaad43

Nice apex, I'll take it!
Staff
Premium
Ds36PJeXoAURpA9.jpg large.jpg

2018 was a fantastic season of Formula 1, filled with 21 cracking races. But which of these was the absolute best?

We may have had concerns about the cars being unable to follow each other or overtake, but instead we were treated to some of the best racing we've seen in F1 in a long time.

So, to find out Race Department's favourite race of the season, please vote above.
(Note: I can only add 20 options to the poll above, rather than the 21 races that we had. As such, I have combined Singapore and Russia into the same poll option as IMO they were both awful races, so I doubt many people would want to vote for them. If you think either was the best race, please vote for it and say which one you liked in the discussion below.)

Highlights of all races can be seen below. Watch them to refresh your memories.

Australian Grand Prix
  1. Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari)
  2. Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes)
  3. Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari)
A well timed Virtual Safety Car allowed Sebastian Vettel to pass Lewis Hamilton, who had been dominating up until that point. The VSC was caused by the Haas' of Grosjean and Magnussen, who suffered botched pitstops, throwing away impressive high positions after leaving without a wheel attached.

Bahrain Grand Prix
  2. Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes)
  3. Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes)
Lewis Hamilton pulled off a spectacular sparking triple overtake into Turn 1 and recovered to the podium after a Gearbox penalty relegated him to 9th on the grid. Vettel won from Bottas, despite running on very worn tyres. Pierre Gasly scored a surprise 4th place, scoring Honda's best finish in the hybrid era.

Chinese Grand Prix
  1. Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull)
A late Safety Car caused by the Toro Rosso's crashing into each other caught out the leaders, while Red Bull pitted both drivers for fresh tyres. Max Verstappen failed to capitalise, running wide and later crashing into Vettel, but Ricciardo took full advantage, aggressively overtaking everyone to take a popular victory.

Last edited by a moderator:
Azerbaijan Grand Prix
  1. Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes)
  2. Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari)
  3. Sergio Perez (Force India)
A race that had pretty much everything. Alonso out-Gilles-Villeneuving Gilles Villeneuve by driving back on two wheels, and still finishing in the points. The Red Bulls battling hard all race until they inevitably ended up hitting each other. Magnussen pushing Gasly into the wall at top speed, leaving debris that gave race leader Valtteri Bottas a race ending puncture with only a few laps to go, and Sergio Perez taking the only non-Mercedes, Ferrari or Red Bull podium of the year. Well Done Baku.

Spanish Grand Prix
  3. Max Verstappen (Red Bull)
Romain Grosjean's smokescreen through Turn 3 on lap 1 took out Gasly and Hulkenberg to cause a lengthy safety car. Both Williams' had eventful VSC restarts late in the race, with Sirotkin spinning at Turn 9, and Stroll being hit by an over eager Verstappen. Hamilton led home a simple Mercedes 1-2.

Monaco Grand Prix
  1. Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull)
  2. Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari)
Daniel Ricciardo dominated the race until his MGU-K failed, leaving him down on power. The struggles of overtaking at Monaco, and very fragile tyres meant that his rivals were still unable to pass him, and Ricciardo led the whole race to atone for the 2016 Monaco defeat. Leclerc's home Grand Prix ended in spectacular fashion after a brake failure saw him clatter into Hartley.

Canadian Grand Prix
Home hero Lance Stroll was taken out on Lap 1 after a spectacular crash with Brendon Hartley. Sebastian Vettel dominated a race that was characterised by tyre conservation and few overtakes. The chequered flag was waved too early after a miscommunication, leading to confusion and the race result being declared early.

French Grand Prix
  2. Max Verstappen (Red Bull)
Formula 1 returned to France and Paul Ricard. Sebastian Vettel clattered into Bottas at turn 1, ruining both their races. Ocon and Gasly also retired on lap 1 in a separate crash. Cars were passing each other all over the place, particularly into the unpopular chicane, and more impressively, through the long right hander of Turn 11. Hamilton romped to victory without much challenge.

Austrian Grand Prix
  1. Max Verstappen (Red Bull)
  3. Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari)
Raikkonen managed to pass, and be passed by both Mercedes' on Lap 1. Sebastian Vettel managed to get one-up on Lewis Hamilton with a brave pass into Turn 3. Both Mercedes' uncharacteristically retired with gearbox issues as Max Verstappen managed to keep his tyres alive to score a popular win with the Dutch fans in the grandstands, scoring Red Bull's first win at the Red Bull Ring.

British Grand Prix
Lewis Hamilton recovered from being spun by Raikkonen at Turn 3 with some spectacular overtakes in the opening laps. Two late safety cars, caused first by Marcus Ericsson's crash at Abbey, followed by Sainz and Grosjean at Copse gave us a fanstastic final few laps. Sebastian Vettel had to work hard to pass Bottas for the win, and Hamilton fought hard to take second in the final laps.

German Grand Prix
Sebastian Vettel took the lead after some cryptic team orders delivered to Kimi Raikkonen after the pitstop window. The predicted rain arrived, wetting the track enough to send Vettel sliding off into a tyre wall at low speed. Lewis Hamilton, having battled through from 14th on the grid, escaped penalty for aborting a pitstop late in the safety car period to take the lead. Hamilton and Bottas battled for the lead before being told to hold stations for a 1-2.

Hungarian Grand Prix
Hamilton won at a circuit Mercedes were unfancied at after a stunning wet qualifying lap gave him pole position, a place he didn't give up during the race. Bottas struggled with tyre wear at the end of the race, getting involved in a silly crash with Vettel.

Belgian Grand Prix
I first corner accident caused by Nico Hulkenberg sent Fernando Alonso's McLaren over the top of Leclerc, proving the strength of the Halo safety device. Damage in the accident also caused the retirement of Ricciardo and Raikkonen. The first lap also included a crazy moment, as Hamilton, Vettel and both Force India's went 4-wide into Les Combes. Vettel won that battle, and eventually won the race.

Italian Grand Prix
  3. Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes)
Sebastian Vettel spun out on lap 1 after contact with Lewis Hamilton. Kimi Raikkonen and Hamilton battled hard in the first part of the race, with Hamilton shadowing Raikkonen's every move. Raikkonen pitted early, staying ahead of Hamilton after his later stop, but excessive tyre wear on the Ferrari saw Hamilton reel in the gap and steal the win from the Tifosi and deny Raikkonen his first win in 5 years. A post-race disqualification for Romain Grosjean elevated Sergey Sirotkin into 10th place, making it the first time in F1 history that all drivers on the grid had scored a point.

Singapore Grand Prix
Lewis Hamilton converted one of his best ever pole laps into a simple victory, as drivers spread out to survive a 1-stop race. Sergio Perez spent the race stuck behind Sirotkin's Williams, eventually crashing into the Russian after a close battle.

Russian Grand Prix
Team orders forced Bottas to cede a deserved lead to Lewis Hamilton late in the race. The race featured two spectacular overtakes at Turn 3, with Leclerc going side-by-side with Magnussen in the opening laps, and Hamilton repaying the favour from Austria to wriggle past Vettel after being jumped in the pit window.

Japanese Grand Prix
Sebastian Vettel found himself battling from the back again after botching an overtake on Max Verstappen. Some epic midfield battles highlighted the race, with Magnussen and Leclerc colliding on the front straight being a high/lowlight. Hamilton took victory again.

United States Grand Prix
  1. Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari)
Kimi Raikkonen stole the lead from Hamilton at the start of the race, while Sebastian Vettel found himself spinning on Lap 1 again after colliding with Ricciardo. Ricciardo later retired as Verstappen and Vettel battled their way back from the rear. Hamilton was forced into a 2-stop and appeared behind Verstappen and Raikkonen. A tense final few laps ended with Raikkonen taking his first win of the season. Vettel passed Bottas for 4th to keep the championship alive.

Mexican Grand Prix
  1. Max Verstappen (Red Bull)
Verstappen and Hamilton jumped Pole-Sitter Ricciardo into turn 1 and streaked off. Mercedes' pace was however very slow, and both Hamilton and Bottas soon dropped off. Hamilton and Bottas both locked up and overshot Turn 1 on the same lap later in the race, while Ricciardo's horrific luck continued as his engine blew up. Verstappen scored a simple win in the end, despite caring for the car in the final laps.

Brazilian Grand Prix
The Red Bull drivers quickly picked their way through the pack with some outstanding moves, as Verstappen passed Hamilton for the lead after the first stops. However, Verstappen was causght up by Esteban Ocon, looking to unlap himself. Ocon clattered into the side of race leader Verstappen at Turn 2, spinning them both off. Verstappen recovered, but floor damage prevented him catching and passing Hamilton, having to settle for second place.

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
Nico Hulkenberg joined the list of "drivers who have rolled an F1 car" after closing the door on Romain Grosjean on Lap 1, rolling him into the wall. Verstappen left nothing on the table to pass Esteban Ocon early on as cars all through the pack were passing each other. The threat of light rain (in the desert) put many strategies in doubt, but Ricciardo couldn't capitalise on a late pitstop as other cars all started blowing up. Hamilton and Vettel capped off the season by performing doughnuts on the start/finish line after the race with the retiring Fernando Alonso.

So, what was your favourite race of the season? Vote above in the poll! What else stood out about the season? What was your favourite moment, memory, overtake, crash, quote etc... Use this as the thread to give your opinions on the 2018 season and what you enjoyed most about it.

For me my interest in Formula One is at an all time low nowadays, and frankly I thought the whole year was something of a disappointment really. Not much in the way of on track fighting (the real kind, not DRS assisted or fast cars coming from the back with no challenges), and the cars just don't do anything for me from a spectator point of view.

However, much like a fan of a band who's first two albums rocked and the next 10 years were rubbish, I'll keep tuning in to see if the tide turns.

#touringcarsforthewin

For me Abu Dhabi was kinda like an overview of the whole season. It had drama in it, it had strategic wins and losses in it, and in the end a podium which reflects how the wind currently blows in F1.

And FIA wise they continued their double standards in judging the race as always. With a very lame excuse of CW. But that’s just my humble opinion.

Obviously, for a Ferrari fan it has to be a Ferrari victory. Seeing the two red and two silver cars pull away and battle for the win after the last safety car in Silverstone was so EPIC. The tension in the last laps of the Bahrain GP, it was so intense. This year was great, it had moments I will never forget. The cooldown lap of the last GP was the cherry on top.

For a Ferrari fan, after 2017 and when things started to go downhill this year I was emotionally completely exhausted. This season was an emotional rollercoaster. Absolute joy followed by disbelief. All in all, I am very excited for the next season. And I hope we will see many tight battles, on track and for the championship. And hopefully, a guy clothed in red will finally win it. It's been too long and too close on many occasions...

Congrats Lewis & Mercedes, stellar work you did. Farewell Fernando. Forza Ferrari!

For me my interest in Formula One is at an all time low nowadays, and frankly I thought the whole year was something of a disappointment really. Not much in the way of on track fighting (the real kind, not DRS assisted or fast cars coming from the back with no challenges), and the cars just don't do anything for me from a spectator point of view.

However, much like a fan of a band who's first two albums rocked and the next 10 years were rubbish, I'll keep tuning in to see if the tide turns.

#touringcarsforthewin
This. I wore the edge of my seat down watching the BTCC and rooting for TIngram this year, contrast that with F1 where I have fallen asleep watching races on more than one occasion in 2018 (literally.)

#touringcarsforthewin

F1 for me has become what I more or less predicted whould happen when the rules keeped on tightining. It has become nothing more than a show of cars using electronics and gimmicks to go fast while sucking the soul of racing right out if it.

And for that reason I have unsubscribed from Sky F1 until they improve the racing part of it again.

Voted for the US GP. Great to see Kimi win a race again (probably his last one) and one of the few races where it was tense until the end for the victory.

OP first 2 sentences says it all.
Its understandable some lose interest especially when their team is not winning.... I feel the same way watching Athletics and lose hope because Usain bolt will win or football (Barcelona) or the Red bull dominance yrs.... its easier to look at the past and say its better because every thing goes up in value with time.
Some tracks definitely need to go off the calendar but overall its been a great season and there been many great moments in various races this year.

The younger generation are no doubt enjoying it, Liberty media are making more changes to the F1 show so for some you might be better of watching re-runs of the good ol days .......older guys are still wishing for the 70's ,80's and even some the 90;s to come back.:rolleyes:

6 New drivers and 6 driver team changes, aero changes
Looking forward to next year changes and team battles .
Ferrari
Sebastian Vettel Charles Leclerc
Red Bull
Max Verstappen Pierre Gasly
Renault
Nico Hulkenberg Daniel Ricciardo
Force India
Sergio Perez Lance Stroll
Williams
Robert Kubica George Russell
McLaren
Carlos Sainz Lando Norris
Toro Rosso
Daniil Kvyat Alex Albon
Sauber
Kimi Raikkonen Antonio Giovinazzi

I would have to say the Brazilian Grand Prix was the best race. Seeing Max Verstappen get flipped off the track like he did was awesome. He (Verstappen) and the old has-been F1 commentators thought that he had the race in the bag, but seeing Lewis pass him by and keep enough pace to wear him down to win the race was a sweet sight for these eyes.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.2%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 146 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 277 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 403 40.0%