Which VR headset do you use for sim racing poll?

@Fernando Deutsch...
I finally installed that Lenovo Explorer today and I can't thank you enough.
The clarity puts my Rift 'smack-dab' in the dog-house.
The image quality is phenomenal.
You look around and in their version of 'home' every single image... the mountains, the trees, the ocean, the sky, the text...it is all extremely 'clean' and legible...even standing far away.
I did have a bit of an issue with the initial setup...actually two issues.
The first was a reference to 'Compositor not available'...error (400), the other was a failure to find 'MixedRealityPortal.Brokered.exe'.
I removed SteamVR...including the Beta, along with the Microsoft MixedReality app, cleared the directories and did a reinstall.
That fixed it.
Thanks again man!

Wow, those are great news. Mine will be coming after Christmas, but after reading your experience I cannot wait to have it in my hands.

Glad you liked. We were fortunate to grab this great price deal.

The big thanks would go also to @Jeremy Ford . It usually takes me a lot of research to decide buy something, and while the price looked to seem "to good to be truth", after reviewing countless videos, Jeremy's was the one make me decide to go after it. And again, after your mini-review, and comparing with the Rift, I am very happy.

Thanks for sharing those issues and fixes. I am pretty sure will have some of them, and is good to know how to solve them.

@Terry Rock , @Fernando Deutsch are you guys in North America or Europe? Anybody in Europe know if it's possible to just order from that site? It says that they ship to Europe, but how does it go with customs/taxes etc? What would the total cost be?
I'm in North America so I can't 'speak' to taxes in Europe.
As far as the headset goes... I also own the Rift.
This has better picture quality by some margin.
Some folks have said the tracking can get a bit 'flaky' in low light. I personally have not had it skip tracking one single time.
It is 'rock' solid.
The setup proved a bit of a challenge in my case because of the two issues I described previously.
That said....it was well worth it once I got it up and running.
There is a very good guide on Youtube by MRTV which walks you through every step to get up and running.

@Terry Rock , @Fernando Deutsch are you guys in North America or Europe? Anybody in Europe know if it's possible to just order from that site? It says that they ship to Europe, but how does it go with customs/taxes etc? What would the total cost be?

Here's a guide from a quick Google search:

If you buy goods online from outside the EU for delivery to the UK, you'll have to pay Customs Duty (if over £120 value) and Import VAT (if over £18) on top of the purchase price (including duties), though Customs Duty is waived if the amount of the calculated duty payable is £7 or less.

hi guys, what kinda GPU and CPU would be needed for this?:O_o:
Looks very interesting and i would really like one for X-mas :thumbsup:

My setup is a I7-8700K, and GTX 1080ti. As a minimum a 6700k or equivalent and GTX 1070 for a reasonable experience. The thing you can run lower specs than this, just like a regular game on your monitor, you dial back visual settings accordingly to your hardware. But in VR dialing back visual quality is more jarring to the appearance.

Here's a guide from a quick Google search:

If you buy goods online from outside the EU for delivery to the UK, you'll have to pay Customs Duty (if over £120 value) and Import VAT (if over £18) on top of the purchase price (including duties), though Customs Duty is waived if the amount of the calculated duty payable is £7 or less.
They will want all that money on delivery too so have it ready.

It can often work out the same or cheaper to just buy it from a local agent. All these charges have been taken care of. Plus you have some come back should the thing brake down.

They will want all that money on delivery too so have it ready.

It can often work out the same or cheaper to just buy it from a local agent. All these charges have been taken care of. Plus you have some come back should the thing brake down.
Exactly what I was thinking. Wouldn't wanna start posting the thing back and forth across the pond.
Thanks guys, guess I'll keep an eye out for a UK deal in January.

Exactly what I was thinking. Wouldn't wanna start posting the thing back and forth across the pond.
Thanks guys, guess I'll keep an eye out for a UK deal in January.
Should be some good offers in January sales. That black Friday is just a marketing gimmick in Europe. The January sales are the real sales when shops desperately try to get rid of all the stock they couldn't sell.

I went from a Rift to an Odyssey+. Quality wise there is no comparison. But performance wise, the odyssey runs like crap on AC online races, even on a 1080ti and resolution set way down, It cannot maintain 90fps online.

The rift integration seems much faster than openvr in AC.

The ASW is a matter of preference. I dislike it very much. The native resolution difference to the rift is brought down by using a lot less SS like you said, which I have done and astoundingly made no difference to performance in the last RD online race I had. I made the picture look worse than the rift, AC on low settings etc, and the framerate dropped as soon as some cars were near me.

Just to be sure you have setup the headset right.
Goto your steam\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings
Open file 'default.vrsettings'
Chexk the lines in Bold

{
"driver_Holographic" : {
"renderTargetScale" : 1.5
},
"driver_Holographic_Experimental" : {
// Motion reprojection doubles framerate through motion vector extrapolation
// motionvector = force application to always run at half framerate with motion vector reprojection
// auto = automatically use motion reprojection when the application can not maintain native framerate
"motionReprojectionMode" : "auto",

// Automatic motion reprojection indicator to display the mode currently selected
// green = off because application can render at full framerate
// light blue = on because application is cpu bound
// dark blue = on because application is gpu bound
// red = off because application running at less than half framerate
"motionReprojectionIndicatorEnabled" : true,

// Some people may experience increased discomfort such as nausea, motion sickness, dizziness,
// disorientation, headache, fatigue, or eye strain when using thumbstick controls in Windows Mixed Reality.
"thumbstickControlsEnabled" : false, // true = use thumbsticks for artificial turn/move, false = default application thumbstick behavior
"thumbstickControlsReversed" : false,
"thumbstickTurnSmooth" : false,
"thumbstickDeadzone" : 0.25
},
"NoInterEyeRotation" : {
"DOOMVFRx64.exe" : true
}
}

The line "renderTargetScale" : 1.5
Default it is 1.0
I have used 2.0 and recently changed it to 1.5 as there was some info from MS that SS would not work over 1.5. But not sure that is correct and might go back to 2.0
"motionReprojectionMode" : "auto",
Just remove the // in front of the line and make sure it is on Auto or it will force 45 fps on.
"motionReprojectionIndicatorEnabled" : true,
This is an indicator in upper left corner.
Dark blue indicate GPU is limiting factor to reach 90 fps
I set my graphics so that I stay green for 80-90% of the time.
Motion re-projection works a lot better than ASW but yes it might still be annoying for you.
But at least you can easy see if the issue are Cpu or Gpu.

In SteamVR only SS works / should be used with WMR headsets.
Try it in Auto first but it might not work right for you and you can set it manual.
I do not go online much and newer in AC so do not know what settings is right.
But with a RTX 2070 I can run races against Ai with everything on max except shadows.
Some of the effects are on medium as I prefer that.
I do not have PP on ether as I do not like how it looks.
I have AC in auto SS but I do not use AC much.
Hope some of this can help you enjoy the headset.

Yep it seems you have the same info I have so far. I tried 1, 1.5 and 2. in Steam I tried 100% up to 200% in both Video and App setting. It made no effect in online races, its crazy. My acs.exe was only using 10% and my 1080ti varied from 30% to 70% usage depending on the settings above. The bottleneck is somewhere but I need time to find it. Its a brand new windows 10 installation with just the drivers, steam, and assetto installed.

Just to be sure you have setup the headset right.
Awesome, this is very good info. Thanks.
If anyone has more tips, tricks, tutorials related to VMR in general and the Lenovo Explorer in particular are very welcome.

This will be my very first proper VR experience with sims. Before I tested using a smartphone and Trinus VR, which was not that good, but even with that I realize how much better the distances are perceived.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 78 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.9%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 164 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 308 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 444 39.6%