Which sim race game should I engage with?

Hi everyone,

Although sim racing is not new to me (been playing rfactor but it is as good as dead now), I would like suggestions from you guys which one to play with. I have finally completed my new rig being the g27 (was using momo black before) the last component and I am ready to race again (virtual).

Here are some of the areas to consider:

1. Feel of the game/car.
2. Community/availability of races (I live somewhere in SEA and it is hard for me to get to decent series specially scheduled on a weekday).
3. Budget does not really matter as long as it is worth it.

Thank you.

While there are a number of options in terms of newer racing sims, if your priority is on-line racing, then iRacing seems to have grown to be the largest on-line racing sim/community. I don't know how popular it is in SE Asia but as the most popular world wide, logic would suggest its probably your best option.

Have to agree with @David Wright here. iRacing is growing by leaps and bounds these days, is 100% online gameplay against other humans, and has a ranking system so as you progress, you're not getting bogged down racing against other noobs who don't know how to drive.

iRacing has a unique physics and tyre model which I personally feel makes you really have to focus on your driving. There's no mashing of brakes and cranking the wheel over and sliding through a turn 40 mph faster than everyone else...it's a real "slow is fast" type of sim.

They start you off slow with some basic cars and leagues, and initially, yes you'll be driving around with noobs, but the ranking system allows you to progress quickly if you're a good, clean driver ;)

A one-year subscription goes for about $99 or $8.55/month which isn't too bad. My only quarrel with iRacing is that they do nickel and dime you. You have to purchase tracks if you want to race on them (aside from the few that come default), and as your license progresses and you open up new leagues to race in, you have to buy the car to race in that league. Granted, these purchases are permanent, and even if you account lapses, once you renew it all your cars, tracks, settings, standings, etc are all still there, untouched.

I'm waiting for a giftcard for Christmas so I can renew my account after it lapsed after the - oh yeah forgot to mention this: if you sign up here: https://cadillaccupracing.com/ you can get a 3-month trial subscription to iRacing. That's what I did, and I got hooked lol.

Race availability, depending on your league, is roughly once every hour (may be 30 minutes for the lower leagues, can't remember, sorry)...but they come quickly, especially during your first 3 months or so while you're trying to progress and feel out the game and get used to it. Over the course of my 3-month trial I was never bored.

Lastly, you can always buy tracks and cars at any time, and practice on/with them. But to actually race against people with a car you purchased, you need to get your license up to par.

So whats all this mean? It's a great online based sim racer which really makes you think about your driving style and car/tyre management, but they do nickle and dime you a bit. Is it worth it? Definitely, especially with a 3-month free trial :thumbsup:. You won't get bored

Hi everyone,

Although sim racing is not new to me (been playing rfactor but it is as good as dead now), I would like suggestions from you guys which one to play with. I have finally completed my new rig being the g27 (was using momo black before) the last component and I am ready to race again (virtual).

Here are some of the areas to consider:

1. Feel of the game/car.
2. Community/availability of races (I live somewhere in SEA and it is hard for me to get to decent series specially scheduled on a weekday).
3. Budget does not really matter as long as it is worth it.

Thank you.

rFactor is far from dead. In fact, judging by the amount of servers and players on on it, it's probably still well alive. And with the better mods, it's still a blast. And I do quite a lot of leagues on it from time to time still.

It is dead on RaceDepartment indeed, though.

But if you look at the right places - which I can't mention here, for obvious reasons - you will find a LOT of available content and leagues, and new leagues being scheduled up to even the end of the year.

But if you're looking for newer, I'd look at Game Stock Car 2013 for now, and Assetto Corsa in the long term. Rfactor 2 is brilliant to drive, but for the time being, I still have my reservations about its netcode, as I've had some very weird online experiences, because my ping isn't super low, as @Mike McGeer would be able to attest to. But hopefully that'll be fixed in time, and I have faith that it will.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 107 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 140 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 201 14.8%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 382 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 520 38.4%