Which sim has the most realistic FFB

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 197115

• Deleted member 197115

Not directly Sim Racing Hardware related, but couldn't find better place to post it as we don't have generic sim games subforum.
But as FFB applies to steering wheels which are hardware, I think it would right at home here.
Mod, please feel free to move if that breaks any rules.

So the question,
Which racing sim has the most realistic FFB.

Pick one.

You can also list sim titles you played from best to worst FFB in reply with wheel base in use if possible. :thumbsup:
Sometimes favorite does not have the best FFB, please specify that as well if you can.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. RF2
2. There should be an RRE with a slight delay, but the FFB has recently become terrible with my wheel.
3. ACC

In general, everyone has their pros and cons, but in general - all excellent.

PC2:
cff6add37d85e398dc17c50f1107d18c6e660b2110dc2accc1236748025ad996.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For me, it has to be Assetto Corsa. Lacking the experience of having ever driven a real race car in anger, I can only relate to road cars. Somehow Assetto Corsa manages to perfectly emulate the body roll and weight transfer of the chassis in the FFB (Simucube1). Since playing AC I also briefly tried out iRacing and lately also the new rF2 demo, but neither ones interpretation of translating the steering forces, tyre deformations, and weight transfer of the chassis into the mere left/right motion of my simwheel, is feeling right to me.
AC lacks in simulating any steering forces when standing still, yes, rF2 does this a lot better, and feels like real rubber. But that's not an important aspect of the FFB, is it? In AC I get around it, by applying some direct input forces through the driver, so the steering has some weight on standstill.
To get this into perspective, rF2 has perfectly good FFB, but for me, it's only Assetto Corsa that makes me feel to actually be in a car and driving.

It's interesting how we all perceive things different based on the little neurons that fire and what we translate from it.

When I tried iracing and rf2, the two things that immediately struck out to me was their ability to translate weight transfer and chassis loading way better than AC.

The granularity in tires for AC was better than iracing which relied on weight management of the car more than feeling the tire (I haven't been on the new tire model this is from Christmas 2018).

For me, rf2 was immediately great in every aspect expect the curb jolt trying to break my wrists on the OSW.

ACC I find to be very numb in front end feel. Front end feels like a light switch.

All this is in then overshadowed by the fact a wheel like an OSW can be highly tuned per person per sim. That's before modifying the sim itself to give you what you want.

Because of the wheel, sim and human variable all being highly adaptable, the polls basically end up being "what do you play the most?"

Upvote 0
Because of the wheel, sim and human variable all being highly adaptable, the polls basically end up being "what do you play the most?"
Except with this crowd, I'm pretty sure the answer to what do you play the most is AC, so for rF2 to be leading the poll is rather exceptional.

Upvote 0
FFB is subjective.
In terms of raw handling, AMS car reaction feels better than just about anything I have ever driven in simulation.
The car just does what an actual car does with inputs versus response.
... and dependent which car class and tyre model you assess.
Personally I have never driven a real life GT3 car and respective tyres, so how should I compare? Slick tyres behave differently from other compounds/types even across slick manufacturers.
If you talk everyday street cars, the comparison is much more straightforward.

Upvote 0
@RobertR1
Yes, in part, between rF2 and AC, it really comes down to what one is accustomed to the most.
For me, the defining factor is, that AC prominently features road cars, and I can can relay
my perception from driving real road cars. With the Simucube1 dialed in to my liking, the FFB just comes really really close. (With the exception of damping, which for me always is a trade off...)

Having said that, I've never driven any race car, but I can well imagine, that rf2 FFB, which to me seems more raw, may actually be more realistic, with slick race tyres, metal bushings, etc...
Actually, I'm for some time tempted to get me the full version of rF2, now that it is being actively worked on again, and seems to come along nicely, new content as well...

Never bothered with AMS, it just is graphically to dated for me to enjoy myself, but very much looking forward to AMS2

With ACC, I also feel somehow disconnected from the car. I put it down to some input lag I'm experiencing, which is a shame, because the new DLC with Bathurst and Suzuka is really amazing,
and I thus only recently began to try to get it to work for me.

As others have stated before me, I believe it is only important to stay openminded on the subject, to accept that perception of FFB is very subjective, and that objectively neither AC, ACC, rF2, AMS, nor iRacing, can be blamed for doing anything fundamentally wrong.

Upvote 0
What do you mean by realistic? Actual feeling you would have through the streering wheel vs communicating things such as wheel lockup or oversteer?

A lot of what little like in ffb isn't realistic to what you would actually feel.

I think a better question is which sim has the best communicative ffb.

Realistic ffb would be very muted and disappointing for most people.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

What do you mean by realistic? Actual feeling you would have through the streering wheel vs communicating things such as wheel lockup or oversteer?

A lot of what little like in ffb isn't realistic to what you would actually feel.

I think a better question is which sim has the best communicative ffb.

Realistic ffb would be very muted and disappointing for most people.
Yes, pretty much you got my meaning.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 963434

1. iRacing - at first i thought it sucks especially in NASCAR cars, but after playing some time now i know its not ffb but physicks sucks, cars too slidey but ffb is i think best of all, its most realistic ffb, most natural to driving.
2. ACC - very natural, maybe some effects exagerrated like in AC but less, i think cause gyro_effect is always on there and cant be disabled
3. AC
4. Raceroom - it can be ex aequo to AC but in Raceroom is harder to get feeling of AC, but i think it gives possibility to set it even better, also physics is better in Raceroom, but thread is about ffb and AC is easier to set up
5. AMS2 - some effects IMO little exaggerated especially during release date, but they already fixed a lot, still better than pCARS2 ffb
6. pCARS2 - similar to iracing very natural but lacks some of important effects
7. beam.NG - feels natural but tends to oscillate when you not hold it and too much understeer feel, similar to iRacing but it seems like iRacing know how to simulate steering shaft better and thus suppress oscillations
8. F1 2020

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 963434

I can't relate that Assetto Corsa is giving the most realistic car feeling. To me Assetto feels too stiff or too solid like the car is made of one big steel cube that doesn't have any chassis flex. (which Assetto actually doesn't have).

Raceroom and rFactor 2 gives more feeling that you are actually on rubber tires and when hitting on bigger curb it behaves to me more like i am excpecting and with that I mean how it feels on my wheel.

When hitting purposely too high curb on Assetto it kind of slams to wheel like there is nothing between the curb and my wheel. On Rfactor 2 or Raceroom doing the same thing it feels like the hit is coming more like through the whole car from tires to shocks and to steering rack and column etc. etc.

And what comes to FFB, rFactor 2 and Raceroom kind of ruined the whole FFB experience on Asetto Corsa to me. I can't just get the feel after those two anymore. Personally I can't tell which is better to me RRRE or rFactor. Both have excellent feeling but I like rFactor's brutaliness maybe more so voted that.

But thats just my opinion :)
can't agree more on AC vs RRRE but i choose AC cause its easier to set up
i too think cars drive there like shopping carts like no suspension

Upvote 0
Hey man new here! Loving ACC! Kind of… love it but want the ffb foaled in! Everyone who likes ya ACC ffb the best do you use a LUT generator file or not to change the ffb?? Or play it how the developers made it and not touched anything? If you do use a LUT which one? Btw i use a t300rs GT so what’s the best settings anyone who has the wheel uses?? Thanks!

Upvote 0
Interesting how some people have not either tried or listed rF2.
  1. rF2
  2. AMS (basically heavily modded rFactor)
  3. iRacing
  4. AMS2 (with modded files)
  5. AC
  6. PCars2 (with the NuScorpii or the Pops Racer custom FFB files)
  7. R3E
  8. ACC (feels far too vague to me and I have to attach a transducer to the steering mount to get tyre scrub and lock)
I tried the original rFactor over 8 years ago so I cannot remember how it was.

My ideal is to put rF2's FFB into ACC's visuals, racing and content management.

But I also enjoy prototypes and a load of tracks that ACC doesn't (yet) cover, but likely will with the GT World Challenge N. America.

Upvote 0
<MY_2_CENTS>

Having spent the last 8 years trying to optimize FFB for each game as well as making an alternative FFB for games with less than stellar FFB, I can offer the following observations:

-Each of the top tier games does some FFB things better than the others and none of them are "bad". I would consider the top tier to be iRacing, AC, ACC and rFactor 2.

-No one game has it "right"

-There is a huge difference between the quality of the top tier games and the "others".

-Some cars are better modeled than others. One bad vehicle doesn't make an entire game garbage.

-There is no combination of game and hardware that realistically replicates a real vehicle. You can get pretty close though.

-People tend to blame limitations of their hardware or tuning knowledge on games. For example, I see iRacing bashed for its 60Hz FFB regularly. With a proper firmware and settings, it can actually be as smooth as any other game.

-You can't make a fair comparison if your settings aren't dialed in.

Most people really don't understand how the game interfaces with the hardware therefore really don't understand the settings they set. Most tend to follow a guide from someone else they assume knows better than they do. Based on years of forum reading, it's my belief that many community members are being lead down the wrong path by self-proclaimed experts.

If you are having a bad experience with a top tier game, it's more likely that the issue is you and your settings rather than the game.

I've spent years developing cloud-tuning for AccuForce owners to try to make it simple for anyone to get correct settings, but even so, we're constantly improving.

Each top-tier game is in a constant state of improvement as well. Be sure to evaluate them regularly .

</MY_2_CENTS>

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 276 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 186 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 186 10.3%
  • < 4 years