GT5 Which PS3 settings can be optimized for high-end monitor

Bram

Founder & Administrator
Staff
Premium
I am still a n00b when it comes to playstations. Now I have attached a high end 27" monitor which settings can I change in the PS3 menu's to optimize the quality of the screen?

If Iremeber right you can hold down the power button on the PS3 when you start it up (till it bleeps) and it will then go into a set up menu that you can choose the resolution.

That's an emergency reset option for if your settings prevent you from seeing a picture at all. There's no need to do it if you can see the XMB. Go to Options => Display Settings and you can set the resolutions your TV/monitor supports as well as a few other bits and pieces.

Yes, make sure you set your display to 1080p if your monitor/TV is capable. Apart from that there is not much to be done on the PS3 its more about tweaking your TV/Monitor. I recently had a friend over to do some gaming and noticed during a game of Call of Duty Black Ops his screen looked far better than mine. The textures were sharper and colours more vivid. My TV was set to 'GAME' mode and thats where I left it since first getting my PS3. Everything looked fine and I didn't really have anything in the way of a direct comparison until last week. I set my TV back to 'STANDARD' mode and tweaked a setting called 'Sharpness' and then altered a 'Tint' setting and the difference was remarkable! I thought the 'GAME' mode was the optimum setting but obviously not.

In my opinion, the presets always look awful on both monitors and TVs. Game mode on my monitor makes everything uber-bright and ultra-colourful, which induces eye cancer after about five minutes. Always best to set it up manually.

The "Game" mode on TVs will often reduce post processing in order to reduce input lag on the TV, which can be a couple of hundred milliseconds on many TVs. On PC monitors the game mode probably doesn't do anything terribly special as they usually dont have much post processing anyway.

The "Game" mode on TVs will often reduce post processing in order to reduce input lag on the TV, which can be a couple of hundred milliseconds on many TVs. On PC monitors the game mode probably doesn't do anything terribly special as they usually dont have much post processing anyway.
On My TV i only use the "Game" mode for Guitar Hero. It's not more than 20ms difference but GH is unplayable without it.

Mine is also a samsung 24", with low latency, its a gaming monitor really. I think the lack of quality i'm noticing is simply because i am so used to PC games. When i first turned on GT5 i was almost sure there was a problem with the settings it looked bad to me, really rough on the eyes, but now when i look at it (with no change in settings) it seems to look great and i'm not seeing what i used to see.

Basicly my eyes have adjusted to it.

Mine is also a samsung 24", with low latency, its a gaming monitor really. I think the lack of quality i'm noticing is simply because i am so used to PC games. When i first turned on GT5 i was almost sure there was a problem with the settings it looked bad to me, really rough on the eyes, but now when i look at it (with no change in settings) it seems to look great and i'm not seeing what i used to see.

Basicly my eyes have adjusted to it.

LOL yup ps3 is outdated hardware these days. taking that in to considiration they havent done a bad job.

Hi, been reading through this thread and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me.
Basically, I bought the LG W2361V monitor to use solely for my PS3.
So I started playing on it, and I noticed the colours were absolutely incredible. Never seen such great vivid colours on any screen.

However, I'm noticing quite a bit of pixellation on objects that are a bit of a distance away, but then when I go up to them they're perfectly crisp.
Also, as you look at like thin or small objects at a bit of a distance, and you change your perspective of them, they flash between white and their original colour. :/

It's pretty distracting while playing and a bit disappointing because I was really hoping this monitor would be really great to play on, and also it has fantastic reviews which confuses me a bit. I've played with the monitors settings, especially the sharpness as I thought this would be the major reason for the pixels, and have played about with the display settings on the PS3, but with no luck :/

Is it just the games? I notice the pixels a hell of a lot on Medal Of Honor, but then barely see anything like that of Killzone 2?

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 73 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 272 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 398 40.0%