Which is better, dedicated button box or multi-func. wheel hub?

Hey guys, last time I asked you all about dedicated button boxes. I am in two minds on what might be best, a dedicated button box, or a multi-functional wheel hub with enough controls on it to replace said button box? Look forward to seeing what you guys think. Cheers, Mark

Q. If you choose a multi-functional wheel hub like in the pic here below, what would be your perfect amount and type of control layout?
Q. Would you want a wheel hub to have adjustable pods to accommodate multiple rim types?
Q. Would an integrated screen be a pre or an add-on?
Q. What do you think a reasonable price would be?
Q. Would the wheel hub need to be cross-platform compatible?

SSRG-Comp_300_2018_01-min.jpg

I think it greatly depends on what you are doing.

For Rally, Rally Cross, I think a button box makes the most sense for the same reason paddle shifters make little sense. The wheel is spinning too much and your hands are all over the place.

At the other end of the spectrum like F1 where your hands are firmly planted get everything you can on the wheel.

I keep all the non driving controls on my button box for all of them.

For example button box always:
Seat up/down left right
Ignition
Engine Start
Recover / Pit / ESC
HMD center

However I would say that everything you need while driving should be on the wheel if possible.

I believe in purpose build wheels and not using a shared hub for multiple wheel types.

Integrated wheel screens are completely useless if you are VR only which I have been for 2 years. I would never use screens.

In Rally mode I have ZERO controls on my wheel and that is how I like it!
cockpitergo_4987.jpg

I use my GT3 wheel for everything but Rally right now.
fanblackedout_5251.jpg

However if I ever got into F1, I would probably get something more like this.
As you can see there is zero similarities between these 3 wheels and I think that is appropriate.
1598899497007.png

While I would love something like this. Since I can't see the display in VR, I would have to think long and hard about shelling out the money for one. That said if I actually felt a need for the controls this wheel has, I would consider it.
1598899591177.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 364 15.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 254 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.7%
  • < 4 years