Which Fanatec DD are you buying and why?

I couldn’t see this type of post anywhere and as I’m undecided on a DD1 or the PS4 version for extra compatibility right now thought I’d put this up, forgive me if it’s already been done.

• Deleted member 197115

Wish it was from different company with better reliability track record.
Staying on my bullet proof OSW for now.
We'll see how well Fanatec fares in a year or two to even consider.
So far the way they handled the whole thing is less than impressive and does not inspire a lot of confidence in the product and the company.

Upvote 0
I have the dd1 on pre-order, am confident fanatec will deliver. Why the dd1? It is 1000 bucks cheaper that the dd2 that is why! Plus I would not need the extra power, you look at the build of racing drivers they do the need big muscles or brute strength to turn the wheel so why would I need even more power on the wheel, the dd1 already has heaps of power

Upvote 0
Another polling option for wait and see before making a decision might make sense.

I'm happy with my CSW 2.5 for the moment and like how well it is supported in games. The Fanatec DD wheels look clean, but I'd like to see how they fair in the real world before taking that plunge.

I'm not in a rush for this purchase, so I'm fine waiting to see how that all plays out. Over time the choice will become obvious.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Another polling option for wait and see before making a decision might make sense.

I'm happy with my CSW 2.5 for the moment and like how well it is supported in games. The Fanatec DD wheels look clean, but I'd like to see how they fair in the real world before taking that plunge.

I'm not in a rush for this purchase, so I'm fine waiting to see how that all plays out. Over time the choice will become obvious.

Well that’s not really what I want an answer to, really I want to see what Fanatec DD people are Definitely going for as I’m definitely going for one I’m just undecided on which of the DD1’s it will be right now and if I get a DD1 later I’m getting an inferior product for my money as they won’t have the DD2 motor in them, albeit with it limited to 20nm, but this is still a higher end motor and a bit stronger than it will be later.

Upvote 0
Well that’s not really what I want an answer to, really I want to see what Fanatec DD people are Definitely going for as I’m definitely going for one I’m just undecided on which of the DD1’s it will be right now and if I get a DD1 later I’m getting an inferior product for my money as they won’t have the DD2 motor in them, albeit with it limited to 20nm, but this is still a higher end motor and a bit stronger than it will be later.

Here's the problem.

Right now Fanatec is saying both units get the same motor, but the DD2 gets better hardware plus the emergency stop button. The question is whether the DD1 simply limits the power to the motor and maybe comes with a smaller power supply. OR if the DD2 gets a better encoder with more resolution or a bunch of other things. During the last show where all the motors from different brands were lined up most people said that the DD2 felt better.

So the question is whether the DD2 felt better because it had a better encoder and better control circuitry or if it was just because it had a bit more power on the setup tested.

So even if I were completely excited and ready to pre-order and felt I didn't need the power of the DD2, I still don't know if there are other reasons other than the warranty and stop button to get the DD2.

Right now the people pre-ordering are making assumptions.

Upvote 0
Here's the problem.

Right now Fanatec is saying both units get the same motor, but the DD2 gets better hardware plus the emergency stop button. The question is whether the DD1 simply limits the power to the motor and maybe comes with a smaller power supply. OR if the DD2 gets a better encoder with more resolution or a bunch of other things. During the last show where all the motors from different brands were lined up most people said that the DD2 felt better.

So the question is whether the DD2 felt better because it had a better encoder and better control circuitry or if it was just because it had a bit more power on the setup tested.

So even if I were completely excited and ready to pre-order and felt I didn't need the power of the DD2, I still don't know if there are other reasons other than the warranty and stop button to get the DD2.

Right now the people pre-ordering are making assumptions.

Never heard anyone saying the DD2 felt better, can you link sources please? I do find it odd there’s no kill switch on the DD1 listed though, 20nm is still a lot and enough to hurt you I would have thought.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
It was from more than one review I read. One guy was extremely thorough in his report and explained that the OSW wheels still had more detail in the side by side comparison, but that the DD2 felt smoother and more detailed than the DD1. It could be that had less clipping, better hardware, higher power setting.

Anyway. I'm waiting off for a while to see how they do and putting my money into upgrading my CS 3.0 pedals and CS hand brake to Heusinkveld.

Upvote 0
It was from more than one review I read. One guy was extremely thorough in his report and explained that the OSW wheels still had more detail in the side by side comparison, but that the DD2 felt smoother and more detailed than the DD1. It could be that had less clipping, better hardware, higher power setting.

Anyway. I'm waiting off for a while to see how they do and putting my money into upgrading my CS 3.0 pedals and CS hand brake to Heusinkveld.

Well I’ve seen a few that said it felt the same as the OSW or smoother and the software probably still had a ways to go, probably still will have some improvement after release even. Not being a fanboy here as I hate that, just being open minded, the OSW driver has had years to improve so it could very well be that, anyway, I’m not going for one of those other routes unless it ends up being a big drop down in performance which from what I’ve heard that isn’t the case and honestly I can see some of the snobbish against Fanatec online, not saying it won’t be justified, but as I said I’d rather keep an open mind instead of being either a fanboy or a hater, not saying you are, that’s just what I’m doing.

I have been looking at alternative pedals to upgrade from the Fanatec V3’s as they haven’t released any Podium pedal info and the Heusinkveld Ultimates is tempting but I really don’t have the money for that too right now so I’m going to wait and see on that side of things.

Upvote 0
I have been looking at alternative pedals to upgrade from the Fanatec V3’s as they haven’t released any Podium pedal info and the Heusinkveld Ultimates is tempting but I really don’t have the money for that too right now so I’m going to wait and see on that side of things.

I have a full Fanatec rig right now. CSW 2.5, 918 rim, CS 3.0 pedals, CS 1.5 H shifter, CS Hand brake and other than the hand brake it has worked very well. All my software supports the controls. I have a single USB to my computer for all my Fanatec devices. That's all good stuff.

FWIW my one trouble area, the hand brake, is a bit flaky and I have to re-calibrate it frequently or it ends up being somewhat on in games. It also feels flimsy to me, so it's gone. I think a load cell based Heusinkveld will be an improvement in all ways. Stouter, adjustable tension, reliable and will fit my chassis better. The Fanatec handbrake doesn't seem to like transducers very much so I've had to turn my engine rpm transducer way down just so my hand brake isn't completely flaky.

The Fanatec pedals with the brake performance kit are usable, but I'd like something with a bit better feel. I was looking at the Heusinkveld Sprints. They are a more modern design than the Ultimates and have some excellent new software for them. They even seem to have better clutch let off according to their graphs than the Ultimates. The Ultimates allow for some pretty serious pressure, but I'm not sure that I need that. However I can only assume they are working on an update to the Ultimates that may have more downward adjustment and support the new software. Time will tell.

Even if the DD2 is close to an OSW, it will still be a compelling choice for many because of the simple integration, lack of steering wheel cords, software support etc..

To be clear I truly hope the Fanatec DD wheel bases are a home run. I'd love to just unplug my CSW 2.5 and drop a DD2 in its place and go :)

Upvote 0
And they are out of stock for release day, second batch is for the 14th of June. Fed up, missed out on free rim because of the delay and now missed the actual release because I couldn’t decide in time. :mad:

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Consider yourself lucky, you've just skipped Guinea Pig batch.

Upvote 0
Consider yourself lucky, you've just skipped Guinea Pig batch.

Yeah, well that has crossed my mind that maybe a little learning has happened over the past few months and the reliability and quality of the work has improved slightly as you would expect with anything, but would anything really be different if I’d ordered last week, still annoying, another 6 weeks to wait.

And I still can’t decide, now it’s between the DD1 and 2 as if I really want PS4 compatibility for anything there’s always the couple of devices you can buy to make PC controllers work on it like GIMX.

I was almost certain it was going to be the DD1 as I don’t need the extra power, but with the 5 year warranty, remote power button/kill switch and a couple of people saying they maybe felt the FFB details were slightly better in the DD2 at the event last year I’ve no idea. I could really do with saving the extra £500 as I could put that towards a F1 rim or the Podium hub or Heusinkveld Sprints, but I want the best performance. I’m going with nuts this.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 142 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.2%
  • 100% offline racing