Which Cockpit to start with?

640er

♫♪.ılıl|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|lılı.♫♪
Hi Gents,

I want to buy my first proper simracing cockpit. After racing at my office desk with a swivel chair for the last 2 years, it's time to move on.

But where to start? Which companies, resellers are reliable and have a good reputation? Budget-wise I'm looking for something "normal", not too bad but certainly not high end gear. Something where price/performance is at a good level.

Mostly I'm racing in VR atm. But I have a decent gaming monitor laying around so I would need at least a single monitor mount to begin with. Wheel is a T300 and CSL Elite LC Pedals.
And shipping to Austria is a must ;)

Thanks for any advice.

I would say budget depicts so recommending is difficult, if it was me I would go 80/20, only reason being I have owned multiple rigs from playseat challenge, playseat, desk, wheelstand pro, gt omega and always felt each was a compromise.

Obviously you can get some basic ones fairly cheap and bolt on a standard car seat etc or spend a few ££ more and get a complete package. Also upgrade path for equipment, wheels etc.

Upvote 0
> My first rig was something like this:

BUT I wouldn't recommend it.

> When I was getting back into simracing after moving country I was on the look out for a new rig and was looking at tube metal rigs somthing like this:

BUT I wouldn't recommend it.

> Instead I went with my first 80/20 rig and boy I'm glad I did. So much customization. I bought the Sim Labs GT1-EVO

I WOULD recommend it :)

And I don't have it built anything like the way it is in the pictures. I did at the start but I've moved stuff, removed stuff and added stuff, it's been great.

You can add a monitor mount to it like this:

But in the long run probably better with a saperate stand so your wheel wont shake and vibrate the monitor especially if you add a ButtKicker.

And if you want to make big changes you can. For example I bought this triple stand:

then took the upright aluminum profile from it and swapped it with the long profile from my rig base. This made my base about 6" shorter which suited me perfect and allowed me to get my rig into a tiny space.

I probably will never buy another rig, just make changes to what I have as it's just a construction set that you do what you want with.

Got some very cool stuff on it now with a

and a CSL DD on the way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have Sim-Lab's GT1-EVO. It's their less expensive 80-20 cockpit.

"80/20" rigs are by far the most flexible, and are often recommended here for that reason. I heavily modified mine, adding some extra profile and turning it into a comprehensive drive/fly cockpit. I also added their large single-panel display mount, on which I have a 55" OLED.

My opinion is that the EVO (and generally all 8040-sized profile) is more than strong enough to cope with anything except perhaps use with powerful motion systems, for which the still-stronger P1-X should be looked at.

Edit: Ha! Ninja'd while typing! But I obviously agree, including with the suggestion for a completely separate monitor stand, as I have, which isolates the monitor from any bumping and vibration during driving.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey guys, could you suggest a small/foldable cockpit? I don't have much space for a full-sized one.

My current setup is just a table and an office chair. But this has a huge drawback - it's time to set this up. It takes 10-15 minutes to install, which is too much for me.

I'd like something simple, like the Playseat Challenge or Wheelstand Pro. But some sim racers say Playseat is by far a better option. Do you think so? And is there an even better solution?

P.S. I didn't want to make another topiс with a similar problem.

Attachments

• photo_2023-04-02_17-01-57.jpg
    photo_2023-04-02_17-01-57.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 17
Upvote 0
I am currently using the wheelstand 2.0 from Next Level Racing with lockable wheels attached, it rolls under my work desk and I have my monitor on an arm and just move into position this also has a tray for my office chair wheels so doesnt roll back, only down side is the swivel but I dont notice it tbh as not a hardcore sim racer. The good thing is I can fold up the stand and pack away if not racing for a few days. Luckily I have the go ahead for a full 80.20 early next year but xmas is current priority (not for me haha).Will sort a pic when I get a chance if it helps

Upvote 0
Personally I would push the boat out on a alu-profile rig. Buy once, cry once and all that. I bought a SimLabs P1x as my first - and possibly last SIM platform. Probably all the flexibility and rigidity you will even need.

There are plenty of cheaper alternatives to SIm-Labs, but they do have (IMO) the nicest custom metal work beyond the generic profile, particularly the DD mounts and pedal elements - though even they can be purchased on their own and integrated into your rig to save some money.

Upvote 0
A wheel stand strapped to office chair works for me;
pivot from workstation to wheel stand and slap on VR headset.

I'm sure I will not make such a set up. Too much work for me
Will sort a pic when I get a chance if it helps
The WHEEL STAND 2.0 is a decent competitor to the Playseat challenge. And it looks like Wheel Stand 2.0 is way more sturdy. I think I will have to compare both options now :)

It would be nice if you could take a photo of your setup.
Also, do you have any chair/wheel stand connection issues? This foldable tray for the chair's wheels seems insecure.

Personally I would push the boat out on a alu-profile rig
I totally agree. If I had enough space for a full-sized rig, I would definitely buy one or make one myself. I even saw some moving options with actuators, motors, and such staff.

But I don't have enough space, so I need something foldable. Or buy a new flat, which is not an option.

Upvote 0
If you can do DIY, maybe build aa profile wheelstand that connects to your chair.

To have the wheel and especially the pedals rigidly connected to the seat is paramount for repeatable inputs.

Upvote 0
I also have a Simlab GT1 Evo, which I can also recommend. I heavily rearranged and modified it, including adding some additional profile, to suit my needs for both driving and flying sims. This is possible with all 8020 rigs, and other brands in this style will probably be fine too.

I have a 17nm Simucube attached to it. When running full power (which I do from time to time for a bit of casual fun), there is a little movement due to fighting the wheel, but it's still darned strong. When at a more routine 10 or so nm, that's not noticeable. I think the only time more than the Evo (or equivalent) is needed would be for a full motion setup, or if you routinely wrestle 25+ nm.

I also recommend a completely free-standing monitor stand, especially if you have a large and heavy monitor or a triple setup. Mine is also by Simlab, to which I currently have a fairly heavy 55" 16x9 4k OLED display attached. The point of a free-standing mount is to have zero vibration or other distracting movement of the monitor, of course.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
I also recommend a completely free-standing monitor stand, especially if you have a large and heavy monitor or a triple setup. Mine is also by Simlab, to which I currently have a fairly heavy 55" 16x9 4k OLED display attached. The point of a free-standing mount is to have zero vibration or other distracting movement of the monitor, of course.

Good luck!
I 2nd this very much. When I built my rig out of wood, it originally had an integrated monitor stand which I very quickly determined wouldnt work. The rig is very sturdy with almost no movement but even the smallest vibrations make their way to the monitor and messed with my eyes to the point I couldnt drive.

Disassembled it the same day to build a free standing monitor stand.

Upvote 0
If you can do DIY, maybe build aa profile wheelstand that connects to your chair.
I'm sure I'm not so crafty. Also, there are not many decent schematics to make a good wheelstand.

To have the wheel and especially the pedals rigidly connected to the seat is paramount for repeatable inputs.
I'm using an old catalog to lean my pedals. So there is no problem. As well as with my chair and couch.
I also have a Simlab GT1 Evo, which I can also recommend.
If only I had enough space to fit a full-sized rig.

Because of space, I have to stick to a foldable solution. That's why I'm looking for something like Playseat Challenge or NLR Wheelstand 2.0

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 125 12.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 98 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 94 9.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 65 6.7%
  • < 5 years