Where can a noob race online?

I'm not technically new to sim racing (I've played the whole TOCA series, Gran Turismo, Gran Tursimo 2, Forza 2, Forza 3, Forza 4, Project Cars, Project Cars 2, Assetto Corsa) but pretty much my whole sim racing experience has been hot lapping (hold a few records on PC2 right now), career mode or racing with IRL mates in private lobbies just for fun. But I want to start racing online, I've spent a fair few hours in the AC career mode recently and I've really enjoyed the GT series racing so was thinking of getting ACC and hopefully using that to race online.

Obviously I'll spend a lot of time in career mode and practice modes and all that so I can figure out how the game works but when I'm ready to go online is there anywhere I can race online that isn't super serious and full of Pro's? Is there a public server browser in game where there is just random public races? I've joined Simracing.GP but havn't used it yet, I assume that any races there will be a bit more serious than generic public lobbies? On a good day I'm pretty good but I'm not always 100% consistent so I do make the odd mistake and have the odd 'off' here and there so I can't arce anywhere super serious so I'd just like to be able to jump on and race in some races with some folk who take it somewhat seriously ie: not ramming eachother off the track (lookin' at you Forza public lobbies) but aren't all serious consistent pro's.

Thanks guys, good to know that public lobbies are useable then! I'm still trying to figure bout how to set up a car quickly (mainly tyre pressures, fuel and pit strategy) quickly during the free practice part of the races. Once I've got that dialled I'll try some public lobbies then if that goes well look at joining some more organized races :)

Just to update, I jumped into a random online lobby over the weekend and I quite enjoyed it. It was very relaxed and people were coming and going the whole time so it was all very laid back. It was at Spa and I was a few seconds of of the top drivers but more importantly I didn't wreck anybody or casue anyone any grief, I did spin once in a qualifying outlap on cold tyres but there was no one else around so it was all good.

Overall it gave me a feel for how it all works online so I'm happy with that.

Interestingly my car seemed quite slow on the straights compared to the others, I was using the 2018 Porsche with essentially the stock aggressive setup with a couple of tweaks (tiny bit more rear wing, TC3, ABS4). I've not actually driven any other cars yet so maybe the Porsche is just a bit slower anyway? I need to read up on what the different fuel maps do on that car, IIRC the aggressive setup has fuel map 8 set as default.

Interestingly my car seemed quite slow on the straights compared to the others
Maybe the default setup uses a lot of downforce? Lately I jumped in with the Honda and it had high wing settings. Changed it to 0 in order to be fast on the straights.

For laptime, low vs. high downforce seems to be pretty similar at Spa, but to fight in a race I definitely prefere not to be an easy victim on the straights.

Edit: I dont know if the Porsche can take very low wing settings. Maybe this car is a bit special in that regard. I have never driven it. But I'd suggest go as low as it's possible. Use ride hight adjustments (front vs. rear) to keep the aoreo balance in check.

Last edited:
Maybe the default setup uses a lot of downforce? Lately I jumped in with the Honda and it had high wing settings. Changed it to 0 in order to be fast on the straights.

For laptime, low vs. high downforce seems to be pretty similar at Spa, but to fight in a race I definitely prefere not to be an easy victim on the straights.

Edit: I dont know if the Porsche can take very low wing settings. Maybe this car is a bit special in that regard. I have never driven it. But I'd suggest go as low as it's possible. Use ride hight adjustments (front vs. rear) to keep the aoreo balance in check.
Thanks, I'll definitely experiment with the rear wing then. HIs there a quick explanation of how ride hide correlates to downforce balance?

HIs there a quick explanation of how ride hide correlates to downforce balance
Very roughly speaking: lower = more downforce at this end of the car.
For instance to counter act the effect of lowering your rear wing on the overall balance you could lower rear ride heigt and/or increase front ride height.

At the bottom of the aero setup screen it shows a value called something like "aero balance". Look at it after loading a default setup and then try to keep it at about that value when changing wing and ride height settings, to keep the balance roughly the same.

You can/should also use it for your orientation when tweaking the balance. A higher value means more front downforce and thus more oversteer.

Also use (reduce) front wing / splitter if it is adjustable.

In general: Try to reduce drag (and downforce) while keeping the balance at the initial value.

I need to read up on what the different fuel maps do on that car, IIRC the aggressive setup has fuel map 8 set as default.
Porsche 991 GT3-R & Porsche 991ii GT3-R (EVO)
1-9 maps.

• 1 normal power&consumption least progressive throttle map
  • 2 normal power&consumption progressive throttle map
  • 3 normal power&consumption aggressive throttle map
  • 4 normal power&consumption linear throttle map
  • 5 Qual power, high consumption, least progressive throttle map
  • 6 Qual power, high consumption, progressive throttle map
  • 7 Qual power, high consumption, aggressive throttle map
  • 8 Qual power, high consumption, linear throttle map
  • 9 Low power, low consumption, progressive throttle map
10 Pace Car very slow map and low consumption for Pace Car situations

Extracted from this post: https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/ecu-maps-implementation.54472/

Most noob are in fact into simracing. Most players don't have much videogame background. Races tend to be less cleaner due to bad 3d spatial awareness in comparison to less realistic racing games. Every current pro racing drivers see simracing as being an understeer mess while old geeser with some random trackday ferrari can't tell the difference.

Simracing is like being stuck with a bunch of apple user. It gives the impression it's better & superior. Although it's not really better.

Gran Turismo & Forza has a strong videogame background. You're more likely find cleaner race with veteran videogame users.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 344 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 235 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 231 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 294 13.3%