Where are the tracks?

For several years now the track development has been crawling at a snails pace. Why haven't Kunos expanded their team in order to develop tracks at a quicker pace? Am I right in saying that the tracks are done by one person? Did they not ever think that maybe having two people might make things quicker?

The cars are done by multiple people, yes? Why not tracks?

Until recently before Kunos Simulazioni was sold to Digital Bros. it was a very small indie studio (we know that the core team was only a handful of people), so I think the theory that it was a financial decision is correct (of course we can't know details). Plus I think they mentioned how working as a small team makes things more efficient. We'll see how it goes from here.

Yeah, compare two different companies in two different countries, with different costs etc.
When it's known AC has million dollar profits and AMS significantly less, the costs are almost irrelevant. After all, that Brazilian company managed to release 3 laserscanned British tracks in the past year... as I recall, AC only released Red Bull? Do you think laserscans of foreign tracks are any less costly because the company is based in Brazil?!?

No, it's not the scanning cost, but the vastly different eceonomic/law space that both they operate in.
But be not in mistake: I don't want to make excuses for Kunos. I'm on Your side. I just want to say that You cannot compare two companies even if they are in similar segment.

I suppose part of the problem is they have a preference for laser scanned tracks, they have all sorts of other hold ups that have nothing to do with manpower. Their two fantasy tracks went down pretty well so hopefully they'll produce more of those to fill the tracks list.

They seem to have prioritised fixing code and adding features too.

They could have a few tracks on the books that we don't know about yet, we know Laguna seca is coming but that doesn't mean we won't be getting any other tracks this year.

No, i don't. As long as its not ripped from another game and is scratch built. if it drives good ill drive it. :)
A track is a track, its there to be driven. There a some very talented modders out there already and also some new guys doing a great job learning their skill in modding..

Luckily we have some at RD and i say thank you to you all for spending you time to produce some super work.:notworthy::notworthy:

Do you guys even cared if it is officially licensed, or is 'Monterrey Raceway' close enough to Laguna Seca as long as the turns go the same direction?

Nope, needs to be licenced and las000r scanned. As has previously been said, the laser scanning can actually help with the speed of construction track with the additional bonus that it provides the best accuracy. Why go backwards when so many companies now are adopting laser scanning?

The question is, is one las000r scanned track per year enough?

So @Rupe Wilson you don't expect a dev studio to put out any higher quality work than what modders can do; guess I expect a bit more for my $$$.

Anyways, who said they are lacking for tracks?
Adq3H2K.png

Granted only about 100 of them or so are of 'good quality'.

Granted there are many tracks available for AC, i have never said there was not enough tracks
I personally don't like ripped content, i don't even install it. So that does limit me choice a tad.
Some tracks are ripped from other games, Some are just old versions of tracks reworked for AC,
GPL tracks being a prime example.
But we have some splendid tracks that a scratch built, and some great fantasy tracks also. and tracks that have permission to be converted and are of a very high standard.
You do seem to have many tracks installed, so you say one thing, and do another. All a bit confusing to me..:)

Yes if i pay for official content i do expect it to be of a certain standard, but that's not to say a modder cant also make a track to a very high standard.. Most Devs were probably modders at one point in time. So i personally would never knock a modder, they have also learnt there skills over many years.

Laser scanned tracks are very nice, there is no denying this, and i read it does speed up the production time quite considerably.
But does this mean i will only drive the tracks that are laser scanned. NO.
They are just the icing on the cake.. but not a necessity :)

Last edited:
One point against tracks that I think got mentioned when someone asked why they don't just buy from the community like with cars is that it's a lot more work, per track, just to verify that everything used is legal. Tracks use hundreds of textures, many of them based on photos, and thousands of objects, and they can't just assume it's all fine. Cars use a handful of phototextures, usually from a standard library of materials (carbon fiber, leather, ...) so it's both quicker to check them all, and easy to substitute their own version for consistency anyway.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back