When will they test the theoretical downforce of an F1 car upside-down?

Physics is my favourite subject, and, they say that F1 cars have enough downforce to drive upside-down, but, have they ever tested the theory of a car driving upside-down.

I would hope they can make it safe enough to experiment one day just in case the car falls down.

You don´t need to. Unless you want to simply show it off but there´s no doubt it will stick to a roof over a given speed.

Windtunnels have scales on each tire. Crank up the wind tunnel and you get data on just how much downforce the car is producing roughly, give or take for real world always being different in the finer details.

The cars weigh around 660kg and produce well over a 1000kg of downforce if i´m not mistaken.

But I'm sure rFactor doesn't actually simulate the air forcing the car to the ground it only gives more grip as speed increases thus the car wouldn't go up side down.

Oh, and we can't "make" this theory, it's already been "made" (thought). Hence this very discussion...

So, instead of using engineer's time for things electric car developments and making motor-sport more eco-friendly let's put a car upside down for a few seconds where a slight driver error could cause death. Sounds like a plan...

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back