When steering is too light @100% FFB, what to do? (SC2)

Hello, I have been trying the Adelaide circuit mod (really enjoy it in AMS2 especially with open-wheel single seaters).

I drove some single-seaters at a Michelin Challenge event many years ago and the steering was "heavy" and precise (like the Brazilian F3 series in AMS2 feels). You really have to be strong to hold the car in a corner with just one hand.

But, in rF2 most of the single seaters I have tried have light steering. GP3 / F3, etc. I know that many of these are mods - but the F2 mod feels right, while the others do not.

The S397 Norma LMP3 is my benchmark for steering feel. I had a few laps in an LMP3 at Magny Cours a few years ago and it was the most fun car I have ever driven in real life. The rF2 representation of this car is really great. Hats off.

So, with a SC2 Pro, and using exactly the same settings (100% Strength), do I just increase the car-specific FFB multiplier? I have messed around with the friction and damping but they don't seem to influence the steering weight.

I also don't want to bump the car-specific FFB up and end up with a 27Nm spike when going over a kerb. For the GT3 cars I run mostly between 75% and 85%.

Thanks!

Positive caster provides the directional stability in your racecar. Too much positive caster will make the steering effort difficult. Negative caster requires less steering effort but can cause the car to wander down the straightaway. So, your car may benefit with increasing the positive caster!

Last edited:
Positive caster provides the directional stability in your racecar. Too much positive caster will make the steering effort difficult. Negative caster requires less steering effort but can cause the car to wander down the straightaway. So, your car may benefit with increasing the positive caster!

Thanks. Does this mean that these single seaters are by default set up with neutral or negative caster and that's why the steering feels light?

Thanks. Does this mean that these single seaters are by default set up with neutral or negative caster and that's why the steering feels light?
Agree with Dave and like to add there may already be some positive caster and fine tuned by the modder to how it feels with his particular wheel but a different wheel may benefit with a increased positive caster to achieve more heaviness.

Last edited:
Agree with Dave and like to add there may already be some positive caster and fine tuned by the modder to how it feels with his particular wheel but a different wheel may benefit with a increased positive caster to achieve more heaviness.

Thanks. I'm finding it really odd that almost all of the mod single seaters have very light steering - almost comical. I use the exact same SC2 TrueDrive settings with the Oreca LMP-2, for example, and on 100% car-specific FFB it's too heavy. Switch to a GP3/F3 or other open wheeler and it feels like a plastic toy. Is that really down to caster?

Tire pressures can have an effect too. Here is some interesting info:

Thanks, read the article. The problem is that the LMP2 and LMP3 FFB (the latter I can compare to a real life drive) are fairly accurate in terms of weight and responsiveness. But, switch over to single-seater open-wheel and the steering is almost devoid of weight. That can't be explained by tyre pressures and caster angles. It's as if it's power steering x10.

The more weight in the steering, the more I can do with the car in a corner (up until a certain limit of course - I don't want 35Nm of peak that real life single-seaters with no power steering can produce).

I just do not understand why practically all of the open-wheelers in rF2 (mods) have featherlight steering (the Marussia, by contrast, does not).

Don't change caster setting to medicate ffb!
Use caster setting to setup the cars entry and exit characteristics. eg. if you want more precise entry, lower caster. but this comes with the cost of nervous exit behaviour.
Hence if entry feels good but exit feels nervous, increase caster.
The sweet spot is when both, entry and exit are good, obviously.

If you want to tweak your ffb in rf2, i suggest playing with these lines in the controller.ini

"Steering resistance coefficient":0.195, (these are better to keep between 0.1-0.2 the 0.1 being default with G27)
"Steering resistance saturation":0.195, (this i keep identical with coefficient, above)
"Steering spring coefficient":0.0652, (for G27 this is good when about 11% of spring saturation, below)
"Steering spring saturation":0.625,

These are for G27 with 320mm wheel and 115% steering force in logitech profiler.
I use less than 1.0 in game ffb strength, usually about 0.74

finally i use the:
"Steering torque sensitivity":0.96,
to adjust the loss of grip feel.

These values most likely wont work for other wheels than G27, so take these just as an example. Start increasing the resistance coefficient and saturation first, by 0.02, for example from 0.1 to 0.12 and then the spring coefficient and saturation slowly by 0.2 increments on spring saturation following the 11% rule for coefficient.
Repeat until it feels good.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 328 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 224 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 220 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 166 7.8%