When are you faster?

I have only had the game a few days now, and have spent a lot of my time on 'Nordschleife', I have noticed I seem to go faster if I am trying to keep / catch up with someone?

What do you guys prefer? A chase, or an open road?

:chuck:

Hi
I prefer racing with someone, but am faster when on Time Attack, Practice or similar. Does anyone know how effective slipstreaming is in GTR? Just wondered because following someone closely down a decent straight could, in theory, improve your time.

Mark

• Kimber Jansen

I love to be just behind somone who I know is a fast driver and knowing I can make a pass here and there. Thats good head to head racing. Allways faster with room to work with.....

lol, nice work Rich.

I love close racing between another driver, but I also have morals. For example, the other day I braked slightly later than I should have towards a corner, resulting in me hitting the car in front, this resulted in him sliding the rear a bit, now I could have continued, but no I positioned my car to keep him going in a straight line...

...thats considerate driving... maybe, however it lost me four places :----D

If You go faster when follow someone that means You don't know prefectly track and You just watch the racing line of your opponent and use that for yourself. If You know track for 100% than other driver only distract You and block You for your best line.

It may be right in some cases but I don't think this is always true. :question:

Having a car in front gives you a target and can make you more aggressive, at least as far I'm concerned. It helps me push the car a little more because I try to brake later than the person I'm following and get on the gas earlier than I would usually. The car becomes a reference point that adds up to the reference points of the track itself.

I've noticed that on tracks where I've done +200 laps in practice or in race, so I think I do know the track a little bit...:rotfl:

But you're right, often when you don't know the track, being behind somebody does help! :dance2:

It may be right in some cases but I don't think this is always true. :question:

Having a car in front gives you a target and can make you more aggressive, at least as far I'm concerned. It helps me push the car a little more because I try to brake later than the person I'm following and get on the gas earlier than I would usually. The car becomes a reference point that adds up to the reference points of the track itself.

I agree, I don't think that driving with an opponent in front of you means you don't know the track, for me, I know Nordshliefe pretty well now, if, driving through a particular complex I am chasing another car I push myself so hard to get past him, a good example is the corosel, where I knew I could outbreak the guy in the dodge viper, gained a place and then continued to fend him off as I knew he would be faster down the large straight.

ILMV

Hi

I'm nearly always faster when track my self or catching up other driver. But the driver which i'm catching up must be fast because that will give me a good pace. It's works like a Pacemaker in Athletics in long distance Runs. I'm slower when someone fight with me (i have to defend but not desprate) if some one find way to get by me i pass him by and try to catch with him and find way to get my position back. But usually driver who is faster than me pull away from me.
My Favourites place to overtaking are:

Adelaide Turn - Magny-Cours
Dunlop Kehre - Nurburgring
Haug-Haken(1st 180 degrees Turn) - Nurburging
Variante Prima(1st Chicane) - Monza
Gancho - Estoril
Entrada do Miolo - Curitiba
Pinheirinho(if i have good setup) - Curitiba
Bus Stop Chicane - Spa
Hotel Lisboa(Remains good setup) - Macau

Always faster with the track to myself.

But obviously the best part of a race is battling it out with another driver, and if you are both of a similar pace then you can still lap at a good speed.

Usually I race longer races, so I try not to get involved in too much fighting, I try to run my own race and have my strategy for tyres and fuel, which can all go out the window if you get carried away with a fight.

Alot of the time, If the driver is good defensively I will back off, as you both slow down alot if the lead driver is on the defensive line all the time.

However some of the best races I've had are the ones where an incident at the start ruins my strategy and then I just go for it and fight for every inch of tarmac.

This is a tough one. I'm faster when chasing someone but they're say 4 or 5 seconds ahead. So I know that i really want to rip it but I'm also not too close to be affected by their inefficient turns etc...

I'm actually fastest against a ghost lap of my own.

• Oli Bellamy

Obviously it depends on how fast your opponent is for some people. When I'm behind someone who is slightly faster I'll generally push myself to keep up with them, similarly I'll push myself to keep ahead of someone, when I'm being chased I pick up speed partially because of motivation and also because of my somewhat competitive nature. But you're right, on most circuits I still don't know the proper braking points and sometimes do use the car in front as a guide.

Depends ....
If I know the track really well, then usually I am faster on my own, but sometimes having someone slightly faster in front or to chase down helps you find a few extra tenths.

BTW ... in quali you should usually be an average of 1 to 1.5 sec faster than praccy or race, especially if taking fuel out.

when all by myself i am fastest. if you have close attention from behind you are probably going to use slightly more definsive and therefore not optimum lines and if following you are probably trying to make the other driver make a mistake by pressuring them, so they are not on the optimum lines. the two of you end up going backwards.

the only time i have been faster when following is when drafting on an oval. so long as the two or more of you share the work and don't move to hold each other up you can eat up ground or pull out distance on a loan car.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 296 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 205 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 262 13.6%