Wheel rotation...

Abdul Al-Amry

2011 RD Indy 500 Winner
Been struggling to get consistant lap times in iRacing until I changed the wheel rotation to 900 degrees. Lo and Behold, times started to tumble and consistancy has improved by 100%. Getting to start falling in luv with this game :cool:

Same as every other sim

logitech.jpg

• Pistonbroke

Hang on a minute. If I set the logitech panel to 900 deg. and configure the wheel in the iracing panel according to instructions, then my wheel matches the virtual wheel up until the virtual reaches max lock, but then my physical wheel continues and has no effect. So countersteering a slide, if I've gone too far with the physical wheel, I've got to take up the slack before the physical wheel moves the virtual wheel and actual steering.

If however, I set the logitech panel to the same degrees as the max of the virtual wheel e.g. around 450 deg for the Skip, then they both agree exactly but the physical wheel stops in the same place as the virtual. I don't get any less resolution/sensitivity, because the Skip didn't go to 900 deg in the first place. Or are you doing some funny business in the iracing panel so you get 900 deg physical wheel while the the virtual wheel does less i.e. they don't move in sync?

Pistonbroke, I think what iRacing does is calculate the actual steering rotation of the car you are driving but this happens only if you set the rotation in the logitech profiler to 900 degress. I could be wrong(wont be the first time).

• Pistonbroke

Sorry I'm not with you. Isn't the car steering fixed at what it is?
Originally I had the logitech panel at 900 and the virtual wheel turned off. I then switched it on for some reason, and noted that the physical wheel was going beyond the virtual. So I set the physical (in the logitech) to what the virtual was. It's now a hell of a lot easier to catch slides.

I always turn the virtual wheel off so that I don't get disorientated by the fact they do not match the motion of my physical wheel. Once I have done this I adjust steering locks within the game until it feels comfortable (rFactor etc.).

For iRacing I also have virtual wheels off and have my logitech profiler set to 900 degrees. When I calibrate the wheel in iRacing it shows a 900 degree rate of motion and it is here that iRacing automatically ensures that the 900 degrees translates correctly for whatever car you are driving.

• Pistonbroke

Yes, yes, I have the virtual wheel off normally, it's just turning it on for a moment I then saw that the physical wheel was going beyond the virtual and not doing anything beyond that point. If you turn the virtual on (for moment :)) are you saying that your 900 deg physical wheel stops at the same moment as the virtual i.e. they just turn at different rates? Mine doesn't.

I'll give it a try and see. All I know is that setting it to 900 degrees in the profiler, then calibrating in game, was the best thing I could do for any of the in game cars. I have much more refined steering inputs and much more control over the car when I am correcting oversteer or applying opposite lock etc. Even turning into the apex at the initial turn in point is more accurate.

• Pistonbroke

I'd always had it at 900 deg too and assumed the same thing until recently. But as I say, turned out it was just matching the virtual wheel up to 450 deg, in the skip for example, then doing nothing beyond. The iracing panel said it was at 900 (actually it always said 887 or something for some reason). It surely seems unlikely that the default condition in iRacing would the alternative : your physical wheel does 900 deg to the virtual wheel's (if it's on) 450 degrees(?). Not realistic either if that's all the car's actually got.

Do you mean you were thinking the virtual wheel would rotate at the same rate as your physical wheel? If so - I don't think that is what is intended. I believe the idea is that, for instance, if the Skippy has a 450 degree rotation the game will calibrate that rate of steering so you get the 450 degrees rotation (lock to lock) when you turn through 900 degrees with your controller.

I believe the game is doing exactly what it is supposed to do (physically) but the graphical representation is another matter completely. This is why I always turn off the virtual wheel, because it is disorienting to watch it and see that its rate of movement does not match what my hands are doing. I'd rather just see that the car rotates through the turn in a fashion that matches the movement (and rate of movement) I am applying to the steering wheel.

• Pistonbroke

OK, thanks for the reply.

Does it actually do that for you though? I've just checked it again with the skippy: I set the logitech panel to 900 degrees, calibrate the wheel in iRacing (turn fully one way then the other and return to center and click; then 90 degrees left, click, and return to center and click). I then find that my physical wheel, the skippy virtual wheel and actual front wheels move in synch with each other until the virtual wheel gets to around 450 deg (lock to lock), whereupon it and the two front wheels stop. But the physical wheel continues until 900 degrees (lock to lock). So, as I've said, I've got that slack to take up if I go past that point.

OK, thanks for the reply.

Does it actually do that for you though? I've just checked it again with the skippy: I set the logitech panel to 900 degrees, calibrate the wheel in iRacing (turn fully one way then the other and return to center and click; then 90 degrees left, click, and return to center and click). I then find that my physical wheel, the skippy virtual wheel and actual front wheels move in synch with each other until the virtual wheel gets to around 450 deg (lock to lock), whereupon it and the two front wheels stop. But the physical wheel continues until 900 degrees (lock to lock). So, as I've said, I've got that slack to take up if I go past that point.

That is true and how iRacing is setup, which is helpful for me as it means I can set my wheel to 900 and forget it. Maybe in future iR will be able to take advantage of the"Allow Game to Adjust Settings" option in the profiler to set to lock when the game is loaded. I don't have an issue with the slack as normally if you're steering that much to catch something you've pretty much lost it anyway.

I see what you mean... Like Simon said, I haven't ever had reason to apply that much lock in iRacing. So far I have managed to use the throttle and car setup to help me steer: I don't think I have ever actually rotated my wheel beyond 180 degrees (even taking the hairpin at Sebring).

• Pistonbroke

Right, thanks for confirming I'm not mad at least; less than 900 doesn't reduce precision in steering.

I have to disagree with your conclusions though. If you get into a big slide, and I know I'm not the only one that happens to, then it's easy to over correct with the full 900 available. And even a small amount more than correct full lock will stuff you when it snaps back because the delay in taking up the slack. Before, I thought iRacing was no better than ISI games in that regard. Now I've found it's far easier to catch big slides. If you hit the full lock you know that's all there is.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 142 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 391 40.0%