Wheel, pedals not working in VR (Valve Index)

Hey yall

I just got my new Valve Index headset, and trying to play Assetto Corsa in VR, suddenly my steering wheel, pedals, right and left look buttons on the wheel, etc all do NOT work at all. It does not see them. Note that i am going into Assetto Corsa using Content Manager.

The moment i switch back to single screen in Assetto Corsa (Content Mgr), my wheel and pedals are immediately seen again and work just fine.

When i change to VR mode in Content Mgr (from single screen mode), the settings for the wheel and pedals in Content Mgr are still showing as the same. So, really not sure what else to do try.

Ideas?

Thanks
Randy

This is a super strange bug you are encountering there. I am using an Index in AC via CM and never had to touch controller settings. I dont think i ever even setup anything. It basically just worked by putting on the headset. If you use CM it will start steam vr automatically. And i can tell you that much: it looks really really good.

I use the mouse to go through the ingame menus, and although im not sure i think the index controllers wouldnt even work inside the game. I tried to set them up for ACC but couldnt get them to work properly. And of course your view left and view right buttons dont work in vr, that would defeat the whole purpose of vr somehow...

Could you write up the steps you make to get into AC? Did you take the measure your gaming room in steam vr? Do you have a gamecontroller? Like an xbox controller or sth? You could try to set it up in CM as your controller and try if this will work in game?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is a super strange bug you are encountering there. I am using an Index in AC via CM and never had to touch controller settings. I dont think i ever even setup anything. It basically just worked by putting on the headset. If you use CM it will start steam vr automatically. And i can tell you that much: it looks really really good.

I use the mouse to go through the ingame menus, and although im not sure i think the index controllers wouldnt even work inside the game. I tried to set them up for ACC but couldnt get them to work properly. And of course your view left and view right buttons dont work in vr, that would defeat the whole purpose of vr somehow...

Could you write up the steps you make to get into AC? Did you take the measure your gaming room in steam vr? Do you have a gamecontroller? Like an xbox controller or sth? You could try to set it up in CM as your controller and try if this will work in game?

Steps are pretty simple really (once the settings were setup for resolution/etc)

1) Get into either AC or Content Mgr (have tried it both ways)
2) Set the monitor setting to be steamVR rather than single screen
3) Setup the wheel and pedals controls (note that i have done that both in regular AC and in Content Mgr just prior to starting VR, and the controls work great outside of VR)
4) Turn on the headset
5) Either start steamVR independently or have it start auto upon hitting the go buttom from AC basic or Content Mgr
6) Hit the go button (with the headset in the right place positionally basically)

I am then IN the cockpit in VR. However, the controls for the wheel and pedals are no longer working.

One thing i have not tried is to try it in another racing game. I have only played AC so far, so maybe i sign up for iRacing and test it there?

I have decided to return it, get a G2 with better picture quality and a better sweet spot in about 4-6 months, and use the saved $400 to add a single 21:9 34 inch monitor so that i will have a monitor as an option too. Would be nice to do at least 1 lap in VR before sending it back though :)

Randy

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Steps are pretty simple really (once the settings were setup for resolution/etc)

3) Setup the wheel and pedals controls (note that i have done that both in regular AC and in Content Mgr just prior to starting VR, and the controls work great outside of VR)
4) Turn on the headset
5) Either start steamVR independently or have it start auto upon hitting the go buttom from AC basic or Content Mgr
6) Hit the go button (with the headset in the right place positionally basically)

I am then IN the cockpit in VR. However, the controls for the wheel and pedals are no longer working.

One thing i have not tried is to try it in another racing game. I have only played AC so far, so maybe i sign up for iRacing and test it there?

I have decided to return it, get a G2 with better picture quality and a better sweet spot in about 4-6 months, and use the saved $400 to add a single 21:9 34 inch monitor so that i will have a monitor as an option too. Would be nice to do at least 1 lap in VR before sending it back though :)

Randy

Hi Randy,

Totally understandable. I would probably killed someone if i could not get it to work in simracing... ^^
So, you can actually play vr games? Half-life Alyx maybe? ;) You did measure your game room in steam vr? How about testing a controller or keyboard in AC in vr? Just to make sure its possible at all? I just tested it and could use a xbox controller in AC VR as driving input.

I assume you have a thrustmaster wheel and pedals? How are they linked to your pc? Does some of your stuff share a hub or sth?

I also second what @EsxPaul wrote. Although it shouldnt be necessary and i didnt have to change anything in the steam controller settings. Just to be sure.

Upvote 0
Sounds like the HMD is monopolising either the USB power or the USB bandwidth; as soon as the HMD is turned on the other peripherals are unable to communicate with the PC :unsure:

Upvote 0
I have decided to return it, get a G2
Did you end up with a G2, and did it work?
My steering, pedals and shifter quit working in AC OpenVR today with a Reverb G1.
This was probably provoked by launching AC accidently with AccuForce not powered on...
AC controls works fine in Single display, whether launched from Content Manager or standalone.
I even tried reconfiguring controllers in AC from SteamVR using an OVRdrop virtual desktop
with the same results.
What is a new player profile and how is one made? I have this problem
(no steering, pedals or shifter when switching to Open VR, but OK in Single Screen)
after several months; this is the 5th or 6th time. When using G29,
controls could sometimes be recovered by re-running AC configuration wizard,
but that wizard fails for SimXperience Accuforce.
Loss of controls happened with Odyssey+ and now with HP Reverb G1.
Simply reassigning controls does not re-enable them for VR.

Upvote 0
Ensure that steamvr is running before you load AC. Then go in and map the controllers to your wheel etc. Then go in to a session. Just make sure you have loaded steam vr before you load any part of AC.
In the past, I had been able to recover, if all else failed, by deleting or renaming the Assetto Corsa folder in Documents
before launching Assetto Corsa, then configuring wheel, pedals and shifter.
That no longer works with OpenVR selected, even with SteamVR already active before starting and configuring AC.
Controls work when video set to Single screen, but none while AC Video setting switched to OpenVR.

Upvote 0
4) Turn on the headset

Steps for HP Reverb differ in:
  • no step 4 (Reverb always plugged in, usually "sleeping")
  • in step 5, require AC or CM to always launch WMR + SteamVR (to avoid AC warning about lack of VR support and also avoid having Steam menu appear in VR )
  • in step 6, don headset and press [Ctrl]+[spacebar] to reset seating position
I have concluded that my issues may be:
  1. Windows and/or Nvidia code have bugs related to running WMR with a pair of 2560x1600 screens. Some Nvidia driver versions crash with this configuration, usually when launching a YouTube video in Chrome browser. Crash does not occur when only a single 2560x1600 monitor is attached.
  2. User error. After pressing [Ctrl]+[spacebar] to reset perspective, screen clutter with start button may not be visible; except for lack of response from wheel, pedals and shifter, "pit" and "drive" mode get confused, and I wrongly conclude that controls are (still) not working, instead of remembering to look up and left to find and left-click the start button.
FWIW, AC launch behavior differences between Single screen and OpenVR
seem hostile and unintuitive (are they somewhere configurable?)
Single Screen launch view is outside vehicle:
launch.jpg

Why is engine sound already running? At least, it is external sound..
Left-clicking the wheel (start) icon changes Single display view:
pits.jpg

This is only roughly equivalent to my initial view in OpenVR, since overlays may not be in view.
Why is engine sound active before pressing start?
Single display view after pressing start:
drive.jpg

Initial view in OpenVR typically seems more like this than the previous view.
Which (if either) above overlay is so-called HUD? I generally ignore both; is there a way to dismiss them?

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 348 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years