Wheel, pedals not working in VR (Valve Index)

Hey yall

I just got my new Valve Index headset, and trying to play Assetto Corsa in VR, suddenly my steering wheel, pedals, right and left look buttons on the wheel, etc all do NOT work at all. It does not see them. Note that i am going into Assetto Corsa using Content Manager.

The moment i switch back to single screen in Assetto Corsa (Content Mgr), my wheel and pedals are immediately seen again and work just fine.

When i change to VR mode in Content Mgr (from single screen mode), the settings for the wheel and pedals in Content Mgr are still showing as the same. So, really not sure what else to do try.

Ideas?

Thanks
Randy

I had a similar experience when replacing a monitor with Samsung Odyssey+.
FWIW, I launch Content Manager from Steam...

One thing to try is re-initializing each control (mouse-click the assignment boxes, then follow prompts).
The expedient workaround for me was, in Windows,
to rename "Documents\Assetto Corsa" to e.g "Documents\Assetto Corsa.b4"

... which, when relaunching CM+AC forces new default settings, potentially forfeiting hours of tweaks.

I have spent (wasted) hours trying to sort which AC folder settings provoke the problem,
and discovered that, once working again, switching "Documents\Assetto Corsa.b4" back to "Documents\Assetto Corsa"
sometimes also works..??!!
When i change to VR mode in Content Mgr (from single screen mode), the settings for the wheel and pedals in Content Mgr are still showing as the same. So, really not sure what else to do try.
Another thing I have noticed when launched car controls stop working:
* in Content Manager>settings>Assetto Corsa>Controls>AXIS
- while Controllers display in the right-hand column,
their bar graphs do not display under each control
----
My theory, supported by other experiences (such as having Windows repair during reboot after Nvidia driver crash)
is that Windows changes some device IDs stored/used by CM+AC.

Upvote 0

One thing to try is re-initializing each control (mouse-click the assignment boxes, then follow prompts).

... which, when relaunching CM+AC forces new default settings, potentially forfeiting hours of tweaks.

I have spent (wasted) hours trying to sort which AC folder settings provoke the problem,
and discovered that, once working again, switching "Documents\Assetto Corsa.b4" back to "Documents\Assetto Corsa"

----
My theory, supported by other experiences (such as having Windows repair during reboot after Nvidia driver crash)

----

Last night, tried to plug the Thrustmaster T300RS USB into the back of the motherboard USB ports (rather than the USB port on top of the computer case as i had been doing every time i had used the T300). That didn't help.

I can get into VR mode and sit in the cockpit with my new Valve Index, but i cannot actually do a single lap in the car (no controls), pretty frustrated at this point with the Index in general and this isn't helping.

I have tried to reinitialize the controls, that didn't help. I can't try and reinitialize the controls once in VR as i have no controls. The hand controllers do nothing once in VR. Am i supposed to be able to use the hand controllers in VR also?

How do you launch Content Mgr from Steam?

Randy
:(

Upvote 0
So you could try - setting SteamVR as the rendering mechanism in AC (not via content manager) and re-binding your controls there. Then run it once without Content Manager, before trying to launch from within CM next.

Upvote 0
How do you launch Content Mgr from Steam?
Add Non-Steam Games to a Library
The hand controllers do nothing once in VR. Am i supposed to be able to use the hand controllers in VR also?
For driving in Assetto Corsa VR, so far as I know, VR hand controllers add no function.
I use a Logitech wireless mouse, which happens to have 5 buttons,
so I repurposed one of those as [Esc] key and another as [Ctrl]+[space]
to exit driving and reset view, respectively.

Launching from SteamVR may help with your Valve Index,
but merely confounded operation with my Mixed Reality headset.
You may be able to access a Windows Desktop from SteamVR using a VR hand controller
(I was unable to accomplish that with Mixed Reality hand controllers).
From that VR desktop, perhaps you can configure wheel and pedals in Content Manager
before launching AC...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So you could try - setting SteamVR as the rendering mechanism in AC (not via content manager) and re-binding your controls there. Then run it once without Content Manager, before trying to launch from within CM next.

I tried that last night. No luck. Launched SteamVR from regular AC without Content Mgr involved, rebound the controls there in regular AC, then it loaded great in VR, i am in the cockpit, but nothing, no controls work.

The moment i get out of VR and back to single screen, controls work fine.

I finally have a VR headset sitting right next to me, and all i can do is sit in the cockpit, lol. Life is a trip sometimes, sheesh

Probably something very simple, but no one has any idea what to tell me so far on other forums too. What the heck

Randy

Upvote 0
Add Non-Steam Games to a Library

For driving in Assetto Corsa VR, so far as I know, VR hand controllers add no function.
I use a Logitech wireless mouse, which happens to have 5 buttons,
so I repurposed one of those as [Esc] key and another as [Ctrl]+[space]
to exit driving and reset view, respectively.

Launching from SteamVR may help with your Valve Index,
but merely confounded operation with my Mixed Reality headset.
You may be able to access a Windows Desktop from SteamVR using a VR hand controller
(I was unable to accomplish that with Mixed Reality hand controllers).
From that VR desktop, perhaps you can configure wheel and pedals in Content Manager
before launching AC...

I cannot figure out how to use the Index hand controllers at all in VR. Are you meant to use them when inside VR? They don't appear for me when playing Assetto Corsa. So, if i need to configure the wheel/pedals inside VR, how do i do that?

Upvote 0
No, they dont work in AC as there is no support for them.

When I use AC with my index I load CM, choose what I want and tell it to go. appears in VR and thats fine. I have had issues where CM loses my controls for whatever reason.

Before you click go in CM for a VR session, are you sure the controls are mapped in the settings within CM?

Upvote 0
Are you meant to use them when inside VR?
Yes
So, if i need to configure the wheel/pedals inside VR, how do i do that?
It is possible to access a Windows desktop from within VR.
I do it using OVRdrop with a Odyssey+ Mixed Reality HMD.
My understanding was that a free desktop exists in SteamVR that can be accessed using Index controllers,
but that could be wrong.
With access to the Windows desktop, one can run e.g. CM using a real or virtual keyboard.
I intend to display a video window at the bottom of an OVRdrop desktop with webcam of my real keyboard,
but currently just push up the HMD.

With CM or AC running on the desktop window in VR, one might be able to configure wheel and pedals
before launching AC into VR driving.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've had a bit of similar issue lately. I've had all the controls working while on desktop, but then missing when entering the actual game. It turned out that somehow my DSD button box was randomly replacing some of the other controls (wheel, pedals etc). I got this fixed by moving the button box to a separate USB port (not on the new hub I have) and then just making the control assignments again in CM. I always use Virtual Desktop to launch the games as I don't have a monitor on my rig.

Upvote 0
I am STILL unable to use my new Valve Index to sim race. Same issue as above.

I am wondering if i need to somehow set the controls within Steam VR Setting under:

Devices > Controller Settings > Manage Controller Bindings > choose Assetto Corsa in the pulldown

So, am i supposed to change to a Thustmaster wheel in there somehow? It only shows me the controller settings for the Index hand controllers there. I see no way to change it to a Thrustmaster wheel/pedals. Again, it is NOT seeing the wheel and pedals once in VR in the cockpit. I can go into VR in the cockpit, but no controls once there. The moment i change back to single screen instead of VR mode, the controllers are seen again just fine.

Randy

Upvote 0
It has nothing to do with the steam settings and all to do with content manager IMO.

What I would do for just now is to not use content manager, load up ac and change the controller settings in there. Make sure that display is set to openvr (or whatever it is, not the oculus option though)

Then check if it goes.

The steam settings have nothing to do with using your wheel/pedals.

Upvote 0
It has nothing to do with the steam settings and all to do with content manager IMO.

What I would do for just now is to not use content manager, load up ac and change the controller settings in there. Make sure that display is set to openvr (or whatever it is, not the oculus option though)

Then check if it goes.

The steam settings have nothing to do with using your wheel/pedals.

OK, thanks...good to know. Note that i HAVE been using only regular AC to start up steam VR recently, and that doesn't help at all either (yes, i did reset all the controllers in regular AC also, although i have to set them when not in VR, since there is not any way to set them once sitting in the cockpit in VR). I did set them after already choosing openvr though if that mattered. I think i have tried just about everything at this point.

I am about give up and to return the Index for a refund before my 14 days runs out without ever having turned a single lap in it.

Randy

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, all the settings must be done in the gui before you are in the cockpit.

My experience has always been when I set the controllers in AC I can then choose under the graphics options to either use the screen or openvr and it will be fine.

I am not sure what is happening other than I am 99.9% sure it is not the index itself causing the issue..

OK - one thing - just in case starting up the index is mucking around with the usb order of things..

Ensure that steamvr is running before you load AC. Then go in and map the controllers to your wheel etc. Then go in to a session. Just make sure you have loaded steam vr before you load any part of AC.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, all the settings must be done in the gui before you are in the cockpit.

My experience has always been when I set the controllers in AC I can then choose under the graphics options to either use the screen or openvr and it will be fine.

I am not sure what is happening other than I am 99.9% sure it is not the index itself causing the issue..

OK - one thing - just in case starting up the index is mucking around with the usb order of things..

Ensure that steamvr is running before you load AC. Then go in and map the controllers to your wheel etc. Then go in to a session. Just make sure you have loaded steam vr before you load any part of AC.

Thanks, will try that, but 90% sure i have done it in exactly that sequence already and it still didn't see the wheel/pedals once in VR in the cockpit.
Why does it not see them in steam VR but DOES see them the moment i get out of steam VR and back to single screen? That is very strange to me, and no one else seems to have had this issue.

Note that i am already decided to return the headset and get a G2 instead later in 2021 (since i am wanting better graphics than i am seeing in the Index and it is $400 cheaper), but it would definitely be nice to be able to do some laps in VR before i send the Index back. I am guessing i would have the same issue in the G2 (i.e. not finding the wheel/pedals once in VR) if i had one, but not sure.

I wonder if i tried another game like AMS2, maybe it would work, hmmm. I have only been using AC since i have started sim racing this summer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just to be 1000% sure, no one is using the hand controllers to do anything from the cockpit once in VR right? I am not supposed to set things IN VR using the Index hand controllers and All the settings are done OUT of VR is my understanding.

Upvote 0
AMS2 is not great in VR, it is a bit heavy and often you will find yourself at 45fps.

I would suggest finding a free code for iracing or one that is only a few bucks for a month juts to try it. iracing is pretty easy to run in VR and there is enough free content to have a blat on.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 348 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing