Wheel base upgrade

Hello all, I am about to embark on my first journey with a direct drive wheel base. At this point in time I am currently running a Fanatec CSW2.5. I believe I have narrowed it down to either a Fanatec DD1 or DD2. I am also considering an SC2 pro, however they seem to have rather limited availability in the US and I am also considering the costs of having to convert / replace my 3 rims to work with the SC ecosystem. I realize there are many comparison threads that exist but I believe each scenario brings it's own considerations. I primarily play F1 20xx, Automobilista 2, and ACC (last 2 for VR). I have no illusions regarding the potential of my race pace and I am not aspiring to esports, what I am looking for however is high fidelity and a great experience. I find myself wondering how tangible of a difference there is with the DD1 vs DD2. It's easy to see the peak and holding force differences on a spec sheet however having never used a direct drive wheel I can't properly evaluate if that even matters. I know the DD2 also comes with a kill switch where as the DD1 doesn't, how much do you even use such device? Another factor to consider is mounting, I have an extruded aluminum chassis so I don't believe rigidity will be any issue. I am considering getting the Simcore UM1-ALF however I am a bit put off by the price point along with potential shipping fees from AU to USA. I am drawn to the easy tilt adjustments you can make with that mount however I can very easily fabricate my own solution for much cheaper but lose the easy tilt adjustment. Looking forward to any feedback on the topic as it's very helpful to have such a wealth of experience across the community. It's also worth noting I plan to expand into making my own rims in the next couple months however with the advent of SRM's emulators I don't think that is too much of a hurdle.

I can't guide you on DD1 or DD2, but I think you can safely skip the Simcore tilting mount. After I set the angle of my wheel, I have never adjusted it. I doubt many people do. If you have the skills to fabricate your own system cheaper, just do that. Looking forward to seeing the rims you make.

Upvote 0
Since you already have 3 steering wheels, my advice is to buy the DD1. The kill switch you buy it separately and save. I am the owner of Simucube 2 Pro, I am very satisfied, but I don't think there is a big difference with the DD1.

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for your input on this topic it is much appreciated! I will admit I am leaning toward the dd1 with separate purchase of a kill switch. As I am sure with any product in this price range you are getting a great experience it would be nice if there was a try and buy program where you could test a wheel base with a hold on your credit card or something. And then if your happy with the product you just complete the transaction. That being said I understand the exponential number of issues that could spawn from such a program. Unfortunately I don't have sim expos where I live.

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for your input on this topic it is much appreciated! I will admit I am leaning toward the dd1 with separate purchase of a kill switch. As I am sure with any product in this price range you are getting a great experience it would be nice if there was a try and buy program where you could test a wheel base with a hold on your credit card or something. And then if your happy with the product you just complete the transaction. That being said I understand the exponential number of issues that could spawn from such a program. Unfortunately I don't have sim expos where I live.
I tend to think the kill switch is a waste. Seems if you are using the wheel and experience an issue, the initial jerk is what will hurt you and the kill switch will not help.

Upvote 0
I tend to think the kill switch is a waste. Seems if you are using the wheel and experience an issue, the initial jerk is what will hurt you and the kill switch will not help.
Valid point, I tend to run primarily formula v2 rim, my traditional round wheel is only a CSL grade so it would not have the full torque anyhow. As I tend to race with a very tight grip the only issue I could see is trying to reach through the rim to press a button. Other than that I can't really imagine another dangerous scenario unless I am missing something?

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 282 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 190 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 192 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years