PC1 what's the livery editor like?

Hi all

Can anyone tell me what the livery editor's like? Easy to use? Can you save multiple designs for each car? Will we be able to download other people's designs?

Many thanks

Ric

Yes, but currently only one skin per car.
Done one skin my self to test it.
Must say the file was quite large.
16 Mb with dxt1 and 32Mb with dxt5 alpha.
Anyone else can confirm the size of the skin files?
Might be problematic with +20 cars on the grid with own skins.

Yes, but currently only one skin per car.
Done one skin my self to test it.
Must say the file was quite large.
16 Mb with dxt1 and 32Mb with dxt5 alpha.
Anyone else can confirm the size of the skin files?
Might be problematic with +20 cars on the grid with own skins.
The resulting DDS texture file, which should be DXT1 no alpha, is typically ca. 2-3 MB for a standard 2048x2048 livery. Are your liveries exceptionally hi-res?.

The default templates are 4096x6144, so they are high resolution.
6 times the size so it is about correct with the size of 16 Mb then.
Probably why the cars look so stunning.
But I don't know if I can scale it down with lower res, to get the size of it down.

Last edited:
sure looks good, but I'm worried if all drivers have them, is there a need for upload before the race.
That could take quite a while if there are many of them.
full-6162-50891-pcars64_2015_03_04_22_46_25_01.jpg

SMS saves the final liveries as 2048x2048 DXT1 no alpha, generate Mip maps. These are the ones that will appear as the Ultra Car Detail setting liveries.
A resize once you're done with the template is recommended. I myself resize to 4096x4096 for my customs, of which I have done many on Project CARS. :)

sure looks good, but I'm worried if all drivers have them, is there a need for upload before the race.
That could take quite a while if there are many of them.
full-6162-50891-pcars64_2015_03_04_22_46_25_01.jpg
Currently pCARS doesn't allow you to select a Custom livery in Multiplayer. That's a feature that will come post release with the Steam Workshop feature. The Workshop will be where you share custom liveries and setups. It'll need to auto subscribe you to their livery in the Workshop if you end up in a race with them so you can see it in the race. And of course you will need your livery in your Steam Workshop for others to see it in MP races. They didn't have time to finish it before release.
For the console versions they're looking at doing something similar called Race Locker(name is place holder). Again all post release feature patch.

The default templates are 4096x6144, so they are high resolution.
6 times the size so it is about correct with the size of 16 Mb then.
Probably why the cars look so stunning.
But I don't know if I can scale it down with lower res, to get the size of it down.
Yes, the templates are quite hi-res. The standard livery DDS is 2048x2048 for memory reasons. If one adds Fresnel and specular maps, even more memory gets used. As you've found out, you can save the DDS in any resolution. Don't worry about the aspect ratio, the DDS will be stretched to fit in the game. Like SternLX, I've also used 4096x4096 some times just because we can :)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 109 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 284 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 414 40.0%