What's the difference between tarmac and asphalt?

St3fan

500RPM
Hi I'm new to Dirt Rally and only about 10 hours gametime (crashing into things especially in Wales). I noticed there were courses that had a certain percentage of tarmac and other stages had asphalt. Are they different in game? I thought irl they were different name for pretty much the same thing.

Tocca

1RPM
I think tarmac and asphalt are the same stuff, today that is. Long ago the name tarmac came from a guy who patented the thing using tar (maybe his name was mac...something :) ). Todays asphalt is using different compounds. So, asphalt is what's used today. Tarmac is just the old name from when the stuff was "invented".

/Thomas.

Dan Allen

I am the Pastor Maldonado of RaceDepartment.
I think tarmac and asphalt are the same stuff, today that is. Long ago the name tarmac came from a guy who patented the thing using tar (maybe his name was mac...something :) ). Todays asphalt is using different compounds. So, asphalt is what's used today. Tarmac is just the old name from when the stuff was "invented".

/Thomas.
The guy who invented tarmac was called Edgar Purnell Hooley.

More info here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarmac

Rob Every

500RPM
Tarmac is the name of a company who make asphalt

A bit like Hoover is the name of a guy who made vacuum cleaners! Or Sellotape is a name of a bonding tape!

4 8 15 16 23 42 108

Only the 5th-most famous race driver from Kerpen
I don't yet own it. Does the game really call both names? As stated here, it should be the same (no native speaker), I find this odd.
You have another form of "black" ground, that's more greyish and should be common as concrete (Panzerplatte of Rally Germany).
I guess the developers just forgot to check spelling while adding tracks.

rubaru

4000RPM
I'm a civil engineer and know that the terms are not interchangable. Asphalt is a mixture of sand and oil. Tarmac has a much larger grain size (think pebbles or gravel) and is bound together by tar. With tarmac, you'll have a much rougher surface. While asphalt is much smoother, it can be a bit stickier under higher temperatures.

Top Bottom