What's the best 27" FullHD Monitor for Sim Racing?

Hey guys, I'm planning to replace my old trusty LG Flatron E2260, it is 7 years old and it looks really worn unfortunately.

I know the drill, Sim Racing is best with ultrawides, triples, extreme resolutions and all but my wallet and the capability of my PC just can't do that. All I can afford is a FullHD 1080p Monitor.

The criteriums would be:
  • Must be 27 inch
  • At least 75Hz
  • Doesn't need an adapter, the monitor I have now needs one because it's older than the 1070Ti in my PC, unfortunately the screen is flickering because of the adapter
  • Preferably a glossy black, I know most monitors are black but I want something that doesn't stand out so much from my rig, here's the LG Flatron E2260, would like a color something like this:
14973747818163_b.jpg

So, do you have any recommendations for such "27 monitor? What do you think what would be the best? Please don't hasitate if you have any experinces with Sim Racing on 27".

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Last edited:
I'm running MSI Optix G271s I think they're called. Anyways it really doesn't matter. Anything 1080P and ideally 120hz or higher is good enough. Remember, the thinner the Bezels the better. All it comes down to is whether or not you can find a good deal for them.
Yes, it's very important to have not so noticeable bezels. The ones on my current monitor are a bit wide but since I'm mostly playing during the evening it's not so noticeable but could be better!

I'm running MSI Optix G271s I think they're called. Anyways it really doesn't matter. Anything 1080P and ideally 120hz or higher is good enough. Remember, the thinner the Bezels the better. All it comes down to is whether or not you can find a good deal for them.
I just picked up 3 of these optic 273's yesterday from Costco at $170 each. Hopefully they turn out to be pretty good.

I rhink the bezel width is more important if you are going triple.

My first "monitor" on the rig (ps4) was a plasma TV with bezels two fingers wide.

Didn't matter, I just didn't see them.

And "futureproofing" won't work, when you are ready for triples you won't find two identical screens to the one you have now.

So get what you want and can afford.

MFG Carsten

Last edited:
I rhink the bezel width is more important if you are going triple.

My first "monitor" on the rig (ps4) was a plasma TV with bezels two fingers wide.

Didn't matter, I just didn't see them.

And "futureproofing" won't work, when you are ready for triples you won't find two identical screens to the one you have now.

So get what you want and can afford.

MFG Carsten
I actually bought a G271 because I really liked it. Arrived, looked beautiful with my complete rig but guess what, it had dead pixel :cry:

I hope you enjoy them. I got them for the thin bezels and they're really splendid, I've been using them for a few months now.
I am loving them! I do notice the 1080p resolution a bit, but they are just for my racing rig and I love the IPS (no color shift). I was thinking about starting a thread about coming back into sim racing. These screens are a superb buy! The little I have used them so far, I am in love!

I am loving them! I do notice the 1080p resolution a bit, but they are just for my racing rig and I love the IPS (no color shift). I was thinking about starting a thread about coming back into sim racing. These screens are a superb buy! The little I have used them so far, I am in love!
Yep, the thing is 1080p isn't always a bad thing. If you buy a higher resolution monitor and downscale to 1080p, the image quality will not be as good as a screen that does native 1080p. So when we are running triple 1080p we can push for higher frame rates than on 1440p, so even on limited hardware we are a little more future-proofed when it comes to simracing on triples. I am still on my GTX 1080 from 5 years ago. 1080p triples imo is the sweetspot for performance, space requirements and price to run.

Yep, the thing is 1080p isn't always a bad thing. If you buy a higher resolution monitor and downscale to 1080p, the image quality will not be as good as a screen that does native 1080p. So when we are running triple 1080p we can push for higher frame rates than on 1440p, so even on limited hardware we are a little more future-proofed when it comes to simracing on triples. I am still on my GTX 1080 from 5 years ago. 1080p triples imo is the sweetspot for performance, space requirements and price to run.
I agree, I'm pretty spoiled and have actually gone full circle. When I was really active (can't believe it has been about 5 years) I ran tripples. I picked up an HTC Vive (still have it) and sold my triples. After that, my engagement took a complete nose dive off a cliff! Went years without really ever doing much of anything. At the end of 2020, I got the itch to get back into it and purchased the Samsung CRG9 and tried to give that a go. It is an amazing screen and I love it for its productivity and how certain games look and feel on it. But I couldn't quite get it to work with my desk and rig and I really wanted the wider view from triples again. So here I am now back with triples again lol and I am so excited to get back into it! I've been trying to get my rig dialed in with them and get cable management in order and stuff.

Managed to lap for a few hours yesterday (still trying to get to terms with my wheel setup) and attempted my first AI race on iRacing. Couldn't get the AI race how I wanted it but hot damn was it fun! Hopefully, I can race online by next week (at the back of the field)!

I agree, I'm pretty spoiled and have actually gone full circle. When I was really active (can't believe it has been about 5 years) I ran tripples. I picked up an HTC Vive (still have it) and sold my triples. After that, my engagement took a complete nose dive off a cliff! Went years without really ever doing much of anything. At the end of 2020, I got the itch to get back into it and purchased the Samsung CRG9 and tried to give that a go. It is an amazing screen and I love it for its productivity and how certain games look and feel on it. But I couldn't quite get it to work with my desk and rig and I really wanted the wider view from triples again. So here I am now back with triples again lol and I am so excited to get back into it! I've been trying to get my rig dialed in with them and get cable management in order and stuff.

Managed to lap for a few hours yesterday (still trying to get to terms with my wheel setup) and attempted my first AI race on iRacing. Couldn't get the AI race how I wanted it but hot damn was it fun! Hopefully, I can race online by next week (at the back of the field)!
I'm on a similar boat. I got into the VR hype, I loved playing Half Life Alyx and got the return on investment I wanted from my Oculus CV1. But at the end of the day, once the wow factor of sitting in your car in AC wore off I went back to screens and decided I wanted to try a triple. Never went back to VR since. Triples is so much more comfortable and conducive to race with, it is stress free and comfortable and I can focus 100% on my racing.

I totally agree, I'm still dealing with a few annoying teething issues with screens not being detected and stuff like that but the driving is just so freaking comfortable. I don't have to turn my head in crazy ways to see around me. Kissing teaching and having to center my headset over and over. I don't have the weight of the headset on my head along with the heat.

Like everyone has said, nothing beats VR for immersion but it isn't for me to race with. I've lost several years not admitting that to myself.

I totally agree, I'm still dealing with a few annoying teething issues with screens not being detected and stuff like that but the driving is just so freaking comfortable. I don't have to turn my head in crazy ways to see around me. Kissing teaching and having to center my headset over and over. I don't have the weight of the headset on my head along with the heat.

Like everyone has said, nothing beats VR for immersion but it isn't for me to race with. I've lost several years not admitting that to myself.
The beauty of it is once you've got the settings right, you don't have to tinker with your screen anymore. It took me a while to get my triples setup, cut my hands a thousand times adjusting the alu profile of my monitor stand, but once it once tightened up and set-up properly in my sims I never had to do any of those things a second time. These days I just sit down, put my simracing socks on, turn on my pc and jump right into driving

The beauty of it is once you've got the settings right, you don't have to tinker with your screen anymore. It took me a while to get my triples setup, cut my hands a thousand times adjusting the alu profile of my monitor stand, but once it once tightened up and set-up properly in my sims I never had to do any of those things a second time. These days I just sit down, put my simracing socks on, turn on my pc and jump right into driving
I don't have a lot of space in my office where I have my rig at, so I'm having to make a few trade offs. But having it ready to go has been a major boost to getting on and having a couple races a day on iracing!

Exactly, fire up the PC and have at it.

MFG Carsten

Hey, is everything fine with your G271? The first one I got had a defective pixel, and the second one does too. What the hell is up with these monitors?!

Hey, is everything fine with your G271? The first one I got had a defective pixel, and the second one does too. What the hell is up with these monitors?!
2 of them are fine, one has a single dead pixel but I decided to just ignore it as it didn't really affect my enjoyment of the sims. I'm not sure how many defective pixels to be honest but I personally find that it is getting harder and harder to find monitors with 0 dead pixels. Before my G271s I had to exchange an Acer monitor 3 times and ended up topping up for a Samsung CFG70 before I had a monitor with 0 dead pixels. I just sort of accepted that 1 dead pixel or 2 that is not in the center was not worth the effort of going through the whole exchange process.

I'd definitely say that Samsung panels probably are the best, you are unlikely to find a dead pixel with a high end samsung monitor. But IIRC MSI, ACER and ASUS use the same panel supplier from Taiwan and these are all lower quality but cheaper hence I just sort of expected 1 or 2 dead pixels.

2 of them are fine, one has a single dead pixel but I decided to just ignore it as it didn't really affect my enjoyment of the sims. I'm not sure how many defective pixels to be honest but I personally find that it is getting harder and harder to find monitors with 0 dead pixels. Before my G271s I had to exchange an Acer monitor 3 times and ended up topping up for a Samsung CFG70 before I had a monitor with 0 dead pixels. I just sort of accepted that 1 dead pixel or 2 that is not in the center was not worth the effort of going through the whole exchange process.

I'd definitely say that Samsung panels probably are the best, you are unlikely to find a dead pixel with a high end samsung monitor. But IIRC MSI, ACER and ASUS use the same panel supplier from Taiwan and these are all lower quality but cheaper hence I just sort of expected 1 or 2 dead pixels.
I thought this would have been sorted out in this modern era of monitors but they actually got worse. 2 defected monitors in a row and the manufacturers don't seem to care that they are selling defective products at full price.

Like I said in the OP I have an LG Flatron E2260, that thing looks like it's been beaten up, fell off from the table, has been poked multiple times, was cleaned with glass cleaner that is known to damage the LCD screen - Not even a single dead pixel. Second hand, owning it since 7 years, so probably even older. Wasn't even high-spec at release.

Yep I know they share the same panel supplier, I've been spamming the MSI forum what the hell were they thinking but obviously no reply.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back