What's still missing in AC?

Bram

Founder & Administrator
Staff
Premium
Think we can all agree that we adore this sim but despite the fact the game has reached version 1.x it's far from completed.

Personally I don't understand why AC was labeled 1.0, with some very basic sim racing features missing compared to competing titles on the PC sim racing market, and not just kept early access until all work was done.

To just have an overview of what's still missing I'd like to hear your opinion in this discussion thread.

What's absolutely needed to call AC complete?

I like to have 2 features which is missing from the very beginning till now:
1. Delete button in setup menu
2. Pedal apps & Suspension app's data fully work in replay mode

And (if possible)
3. Allow Clutch to assign to wheel button.

-Optimization of AI and rendering to make use of higher grade PC's.
seems as though this sim is more intensive than it really needs to be.

-Much improved Admin tools for server admins
force kick
issue penalty (slow down, drive through)
issue a warning to the driver in the form of an onscreen message.

-Faster updating of the leader-board
when spectating a race when someone passes another driver the name should move on the list also

-Proper Starts.

-Option for rolling starts

-Chat bar that limits message length to the actual app ui.

-Scale-able apps
being able to freely adjust size of apps would be fantastic for people on lower resolutions.

-More intense immersive sounds.
when i watch an on-board lap of any car i like in the sim compared to irl footage the sounds are seriously lacking punch.

-Improved net-code
overall stability of multi-player is behind compared to the single player experience in AC.

-Low speed/impact Collisions.
these are the bain of online racing as you are unable to "rub n race", i feel that racing online could be greatly cleaned up and the experience improved if this were to be worked on slightly.

-Basic Ui tweaks
at the end of a race why is the race result screen forced over the rest of the UI.
"back to pits" not being right above "Exit" in the esc menu.
being able to see the actual metric/imperial value for spring tension dampers and other tuning options/ better setup interface.

i know its a big list and possibly not what is the minimum required but to me this sim has so much potential that it is overshadowing its minor flaws,
i would really be dissapointed if things like i mention above are not addressed because they "just dont matter as much as new cars/tracks".

i could probably come up with more things that i have missed out but yeah this would be a huge improvement to the experience of playing and hosting AC.

1. More server side functionality.
  2. Flags*
  3. Proper penalty system*
  4. More stable netcode.
  5. Brake temperature and brake fade.
  6. Live timing
  7. Spectator / Broadcaster mode
  8. GPCOS support
  9. Dynamic Time of day in MP*
  10. Greater number of pit boxes for official tracks (24 ain't enough for Spa! Come on!)

* Confirmed as under development.

Last edited:
not all are really necessary, but what I`d like to see when the game is finnished

- pits
- rolling starts
- proper custom championships and proper championship structure (also customizable by different rules)
- fullly customizable control/keys/buttons binding
- better setup menu
- native MoTec support
- UI tweaks and menu navigation
- more customizable FFB (at least via config file .. could be already there not sure)
- better sounds
- steering lock
- change how clutch+seqential gearstick works together for H-pattern cars (unrealistic, but sometimes gameplay could overweight realism)

Last edited:
A personal list I already made in french ... but never posted:
First of all things for which correction is urgent or missing in a so-called V1.0 version:

Multiplayer:
- Pickup mode: more than 1 track possible
- "Exit" choice critically placed just under "Return to pits" ( happens too easily with mouse )
- Illogical end of race. Only a well done admin's calculation for +- the time of one lap may settle this more or less in order to let drivers finish the begun lap, but ... surely not pragmatic.
- Race ranking +- hiding Chat: adding a simple 'Close button' should easily solve that.
- Still no replay for servers
- no control of some files when entering a server. Too easy cheats !!
- rule for no permission of automatic gearbox

Private and online races:
- display of the chosen gear at race start

General details:
- possibility of deleting a setup in game ( without having to do it in the Documents )
- Brake pression setting
- ACServerLauncher possibility of only modifying car or skin ( aim: easier pre-booking method for leagues with +- same drivers for races ) Add or remove, why not 'Modify' ??
- Windshield break sensibility: a simple gentle stroke at the rear bumper is enough to brake it ! strange !??

Suggestions:
- Launched race starts
- reversed grid for 2nd race.
- Mouse commands replaced by or coupled with keyboard commands easily assigned to wheel buttons or button boxes.

For some items above, strange they were not corrected yet. ( as 22nd pit at Vallelunga !?? )
I just omitted Penalty system and flags, but we now know it's in the plans "soon".

Edit: Ooops I forgot ..... Pitstops preset possible before the race. !!

Last edited:
Many good suggestions being made and I agree with most of them.

One thing that is really limiting those of us using the Oculus Rift is the inability to Pit and alter setups. Limited fuel and default setups currently makes online racing a short practice session at best. Of course, our numbers are quite limited and with CV1's release being far away, VR support is not a priority. Still, it wouldn't take much added functionality to make a big difference for VR users.

Personal for me, what I'd like to finish it:

1. Better replays with spectator mode/broadcast mode
2. Spectator mode for mp.
3. Proper damage modelling, wheels flying, bodywork crumpling, bursting into flames.;)
4. Day and night racing
5. Weather changing including rain, random or fixed for offline and MP. (force use of wet weather tyres in a race)
6. Proper flags with marshals waving them (as well as digital).
7. Animated crowds.
8. Better single player experience with AI properly coded for great offline racing.

That's all. :)

My Top 10
1. Brake pressure
2. Steering Lock
3. More assignable buttons (much more)
4. Proper gear starts.
5. Better cockpit sounds.
6. Flag system
7. Not have to leave game to change settings.
8. FFB settings should not be in car setups
9. Better netcode
10. Better setup menu

As I'm nearly sure night is not foreseen until now ( for which there's a technical reason I don't remember ), that rain isn't much appreciated by many other drivers than Marco :whistling:, I'm really not dreaming in this case .... maybe within a few years ?? :D

Already fixing the remaining problems ( V1.0 or still advanced RC ?? ), adding more possibilities at the server side ( server settings, economical replays, logs analysing system ) and applying flags and penalties should be the best start, although we already have good apps for those 2 last points.

An App that shows Tyre Wear.
A more intuitive off track system that allows ballsy on-the-grass-down-the-straight moves or stop punishing you more for a genuine mistake.
Rain
Night
Automatic map maker
I have a decent Laptop and everything, but I have to run on reduced resolution and with all the post-processing and FSAA turned off to get any kind of decent AI. Less CPU heavy would be good.
Resizable apps
No more BMW's or Lotus'
More cars with decent downforce levels (LMP's, Single Seaters, Modern Touring Cars)
MOAR TRACKS!!! (Knockhill would be cool)

The most important things imo are the tools to make it usable for league racing:

More admin + server controls
Yellow + blue flags
Full replay
Broadcastability (new word, patent pending)

Anything else is just a bonus as far as I'm concerned. I would like in game app + setup menu implementation for my DK2 :D But I'm fairly certain Kunos are done with Rift support until after the consumer version comes out, which, lets face it, is at least a full year away.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 100 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 180 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 355 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 497 39.2%