What's Going On WIth Fanatec ?

Does anyone know what is going on with Fanatec kit (UK) at the moment ? Just been on their site to order a CSL Elite starter wheel /base but only two podium bundles available, no CSL or Clubsport bases or bundles at all. I like reading about the hardware reviews on RD but where are you all getting this kit from ???

I know what you mean.

So the new one is considered entry level (5-8Nm), they will then bring out a new mid range around 14Nm and that leave the podiums as high end?

I still think people will end up spending more money than £350 for the CSL DD as they will always go for the 8Nm power pack. Human nature. Even desk users would go for the 8Nm and just dial down the force if needed won't they.

Obviously if they try to charge an additional £100 for the 8Nm that confuses the buyers choice quite a bit.

I guess they just can't get it under £400 for the 8Nm?

Makes you wonder what's going on in the power brick that forces them down this path. Can it really cost that much more that it warrants such dilution of their message?
Fanatec are masters at marketing, and their ecosystem is cleverly designed to earn lots of money too.
An example: I didn't realy think it though when I bought my DD1. After owning it for a short time, I realised that the emergency stop would be a good idea. And then: WHAT? €99 for a plastic faux carbon fiber box with a knob?
Or my Porsche Rim: costs €149, a reasonable price you think. But you need the Podium hub to get it to work, and that costs €199. So we're already at nearly €350, and if you want to shift with paddles, that's another €99.
And so on, and so forth. Ya gotta have some respect for the way they've thought it all out though. :)

Upvote 0
I roll my eyes every time this gets commented. I wish people would just think on their own and not just accept whatever marketing/business speak script response that they get.

If Fanatec is having trouble securing chips, why did they lower the price of the F1 set by $100 and offer a never before seen discount on the CSL Elite + wheelbase and ClubSport BMW/Porsche wheel?

Companies don't lower prices on products in high demand that they're having manufacturing troubles making supply to meet.

Fanatec is renewing the CSL/CSW line. It's obvious. The Universal Hub was like 7 years old. Both of the CSW Formula (non V2) wheels were obsolete because the GT3 is just better in every way. The CSW and CSL are not bad, but they're based on nearly 10 year old technology.

But their customer support will NOT acknowledge a new product is coming. Apple won't tell you their iPad is out of stock because a new iPad is coming. They'll use generic COVID delays/"We are working hard to replenish this product, sorry for the inconvenience" responses.

The CSL 1.1 is only "2 years" old, but really it's older than that.
The internals are exactly the same as the CSL Elite PS4 wheelbase which came out 4 years ago in 2017.
When did it release? Around June. When did the CSL 1.1 release? Around June in 2019.

CSW 2.5 released in March, so we're a little bit passed that, but again, that's now 4 years old.
The entire CSL/CSW line-up is getting long in the tooth. And sort of redundant. I know the CSW is "better" than the CSL, but the difference isn't that big and I talked about it on my YT channel. They've been long overdue for a "new" form factor. The CSW 2.5 was what, the third version of that form factor? And both of those wheelbases have been around even longer than CSL Elite 1/CSW 1.0. The original CSR Elite was the same form factor as the CSW and the CSR became the CSL Elite.
These designs are going on 10 years old.
I really appreciate you taking the time to make this comment. I am on the cusp of paying more than retail for a pre owned CSW 2.5 on ebay but would consider waiting... Do you have an inkling as to what sort of significant design improvements could really be made with these wheelbases? i am not familiar with how the technology works so this is an ignorant question but, couldnt this just be a case of "if it aint broke dont fix it"? If that is the case, then they would not be in a rush to innovate because it's simply not needed. this to me would beg the question- Per your comment its been as long as 4 years or 10 years since something truly "new" has come out so why cant it be another 2, 3, 6 years of waiting? if thats a reasonable enough possibility im not sure it'd be worth waiting to find out (for me at least). Of course, what im saying would also assume the pandemic and chip shortage are legitimate explanations for the current state of things. i hope this comment reaches you well and i hope to hear your thoughts and anyone elses that would like to comment on this topic

Upvote 0
I really appreciate you taking the time to make this comment. I am on the cusp of paying more than retail for a pre owned CSW 2.5 on ebay but would consider waiting... Do you have an inkling as to what sort of significant design improvements could really be made with these wheelbases? i am not familiar with how the technology works so this is an ignorant question but, couldnt this just be a case of "if it aint broke dont fix it"? If that is the case, then they would not be in a rush to innovate because it's simply not needed. this to me would beg the question- Per your comment its been as long as 4 years or 10 years since something truly "new" has come out so why cant it be another 2, 3, 6 years of waiting? if thats a reasonable enough possibility im not sure it'd be worth waiting to find out (for me at least). Of course, what im saying would also assume the pandemic and chip shortage are legitimate explanations for the current state of things. i hope this comment reaches you well and i hope to hear your thoughts and anyone elses that would like to comment on this topic
well after many hours of research these past 2 days, almost pulling the trigger on a preowned CSW 2.5, and typing the above comment, i come across this video.

while im not stoked on all that time lost researching, i certainly look forward to watching reviews on this after it comes out. and i dont think i'll be waiting 2, 3, or 6 years for that LOL. if this new DD is a gimmick, then maybe i will be able to get the csw 2.5 for retail price somewhere :)

Upvote 0
There are already three reviews of pre-production units on youtube, which are all rather positive. Sim Racing Garage declined the offer to review a pre-prouction unit, but will probably be one of the first to receive a production unit for review once available (pre-orders are currently planned to start shipping mid-September). Check out the reviews of the pre-production units here:
Boosted Media
Chris Haye
Gamer Muscle

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This looks like one of those products where, if you have to ask "how much?", then you can't afford it.

Also this is the beginning of Fanatec's transition into a Motorsports Company, according to the blog post about this wheel. I wonder what else will come out if this transition. It will probably be all high dollar gear.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They still haven announced the availability and pricing on the new BMW wheel so how long are we going to have to wait for this one? I assume this is just because it’s Pikes Peak next weekend rather than it being imminent.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Until something official arrises, I am going with the price for the BMW rim being "Below 5000 euros"...

As for when this is coming out... Well... There is that chip shortage thing. So I am not expecting this to hit any time immediate. If it does, then Fanatec will maybe ship about 500 - 1000 of them. I doubt anything more than that would happen.

Upvote 0
Until something official arrises, I am going with the price for the BMW rim being "Below 5000 euros"...

As for when this is coming out... Well... There is that chip shortage thing. So I am not expecting this to hit any time immediate. If it does, then Fanatec will maybe ship about 500 - 1000 of them. I doubt anything more than that would happen.
I doubt this wheel will be using cutting edge chips. There really isn't a shortage of older nodes.

Upvote 0
I don't want to pat myself on the back, but I feel like I told you so is the only way to get through to some people.

Manufacturers are running out of chips... i know at least 4 factories that already placed production on hold as the chip shortage is getting worse... who knew a tiny $5 part can hold a multimillion production line...

A big semiconductor factory burnt down a few months ago which has led to a shortage and backlog of many ic's , my work has had to put a new product on hold because of not being able to get a certain ic and with no available eta , how long this will go on for is unknown.

also, fanatec has been selling a ton more units than usual not just cause of 'rona, but most of the us just got a free $1400 check recently. I know just about everyone that I watch on twitch that didnt have a dd, has ordered or recieved a new dd base in the past month.

So, as I said, Fanatec's wheels and other products were out of stock because:
Fanatec was going to release a new CSL DD wheelbase.
Fanatec was replacing the ClubSport universal hub and other steering wheels with versions that are compatible with the new QR.
Fanatec was developing a new CSL pedal system that uses hall sensors.

Let this be a reminder, there's nothing wrong with people "guessing" that something new is around the corner.

Upvote 0
I don't want to pat myself on the back, but I feel like I told you so is the only way to get through to some people.

WTF , I just stated known facts about an ic shortage that possibly could affect Fanatec supply issues.

There is no need for this "I told you so" Crap !!!!!!!!!!!!!

People were just giving their personal opinions on possible reasons as to why there are supply issues at Fanatec , no one was right or wrong , just opinions.

Upvote 0
People were just giving their personal opinions on possible reasons as to why there are supply issues at Fanatec , no one was right or wrong , just opinions.
CLEARLY there is a reason [or more than one reason]....somebody probably got it right.
Opinions and second-guessing are of little value......what's the point?
Don't you think Fanatec would stuff their pipeline and sell like crazy if they could?

Upvote 0
WTF , I just stated known facts about an ic shortage that possibly could affect Fanatec supply issues.

There is no need for this "I told you so" Crap !!!!!!!!!!!!!

The point is, people replied to others saying there might be something new with this sort of "No, you're wrong, it's because of IC shortage".

I think that we need to stop punishing people for speculation. Speculation can be useful, as it can lead to theories and possibilities, and sometimes those end up being true. Most of the time they're false, or at least they're only partially correct, but for the most part they can be harmless.

The truth was, Fanatec discounted a product that was supposedly high in demand and low on stock "because of the chip shortage, ferry crashing" etc.
There's virtually no reason in any business or financial capacity that a company would reduce the price of a product that's not meeting demand because supply is short. No reason at all. Cars affected by chip shortage? Increased in price. GPU's affected by chip shortage? Increased in price. PS5/Xbox consoles affected by chip shortage? Increased in price. Fanatec CSL F1 bundle "supposedly affected by chip shortage"? Discounted by $100 by Fanatec.

Upvote 0
The point is, people replied to others saying there might be something new with this sort of "No, you're wrong, it's because of IC shortage".

I think that we need to stop punishing people for speculation. Speculation can be useful, as it can lead to theories and possibilities, and sometimes those end up being true. Most of the time they're false, or at least they're only partially correct, but for the most part they can be harmless.

The truth was, Fanatec discounted a product that was supposedly high in demand and low on stock "because of the chip shortage, ferry crashing" etc.
There's virtually no reason in any business or financial capacity that a company would reduce the price of a product that's not meeting demand because supply is short. No reason at all. Cars affected by chip shortage? Increased in price. GPU's affected by chip shortage? Increased in price. PS5/Xbox consoles affected by chip shortage? Increased in price. Fanatec CSL F1 bundle "supposedly affected by chip shortage"? Discounted by $100 by Fanatec.
Hahaha, sure... maybe they just have large inventory of obsolete chips or motors that trying to get rid of, passing it as bargain :roflmao:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Unfounded speculation has what value?
If you're somewhat in the know and adding value, ok.
Pull crap out of one's butt and posting is not.

The IC shortage is real - I fight it every day at work. Really sucks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here the team has probably also sold out the Fanatec range ... APM in combination with an OMP Rim ...?

Attachments

• B4472F91-A3B5-4ED8-BE29-680B015CB2D7.jpeg
    B4472F91-A3B5-4ED8-BE29-680B015CB2D7.jpeg
    382.4 KB · Views: 90
Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline