What's Going On WIth Fanatec ?

Does anyone know what is going on with Fanatec kit (UK) at the moment ? Just been on their site to order a CSL Elite starter wheel /base but only two podium bundles available, no CSL or Clubsport bases or bundles at all. I like reading about the hardware reviews on RD but where are you all getting this kit from ???

Earn good will with one hand and then take with the other
High volume low cost direct drive with a custom motor using polymer components is IMO high risk.
Limiting power and heat is a way to manage warranty costs.
This echoes their DD1 vs DD2 warranty strategy.
Product refinements over time can further price/performance improvements.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Seems a bit odd to launch with a low price point heavily promoted and then sting people for more money to get full power when it will cost them a few pounds extra to make. :unsure:

This is me just guessing at this point. We shall see.
Pretty much how anything is sold. It's not odd at all.

I don't see car manufacturers trying to sell anything with it's highest price variant in the ad. Why is it strange that Fanatec is doing it?

Imagine seeing this...

Here at Wilko Ford, we make it easy to get into a brand new Ford Ecoboost Mustang. $72,900*.
*note price shown is for the Shelby GT500 top tier product.

Do you think my dealership would stay in business doing that?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just think it's unnecessary. They have a great product at a great price. They should just capitalise on that and do best by their customers. That way they will be on top.

We all just want a good product sold at the right price out of the box.

If we want to step up then by the next model up. Simple.

Upvote 0
I just think it's unnecessary. They have a great product at a great price. They should just capitalise on that and do best by their customers. That way they will be on top.

We all just want a good product sold at the right price out of the box.

If we want to step up then by the next model up. Simple.
I get where you are coming from. Fanatec should release the price of the Booster Kit, that way all the wondering can stop. I also hope its not stupidly priced.

For my predicament, the CSL DD is stronger than my CSR, so its an improvement for me. If you are coming from a CSL, CSW or even a Thrustmaster TSPC/TSXW then I can see the concern for wanting info on the 8nm kit. All of those wheels are as strong or stronger than 5nm.

Upvote 0
Looking at the Wheels page on the Fanatec site https://fanatec.com/eu-en/steering-wheels/ a whole bunch of them have gone missing for me and I haven't got any filters set. I don't remember them taking wheels off when they are out of stock or anything like that previously or am I imagining things?

Would love to see some new wheel options launched, so fingers crossed they are just making space :)

Upvote 0
It's going to be another six months (at least) from hell:
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-56847518.amp

Summary if too lazy to open the article:

"The chip shortage was heightened by the coronavirus pandemic. At first, many companies cut their orders for chips, thinking demand would fall, which led suppliers to reduce capacity. However, demand for consumer electronics rose during the pandemic.

The problems have been worsened by a string of other factors, including a fire at a semiconductor factory and weather issues."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think with the announcement of the CSLDD, Fanatec have just set the sim world on fire.
It's a no brainer for me personally because this base addresses the reason why I don't already own a DD wheel & that is obviously the price - Well done & thank you Fanatec ;)

Reactions: KgL
Upvote 0
Fanatec's statement: there is no power supply in the CSL DD's packaging as standard and the customer has to choose when ordering.

and

There is a DD in development to fill the gap between the CSL DD and the DD1 but this will still take quite some time

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So its $349 just for the base, no PSU included. So the PSU could range anywhere from $50 to $250 !!! Additionally!!! LOL
I'm pretty sure it will work like this: You have to choose a power supply when ordering. When you choose the 5 Nm power supply, your order total will be 349. When you choose the 8 Nm power supply, your order total will be higher.

Why do you think Fanatec would market a wheelbase at 349 but it's not a wheelbase you can actually use because you can't plug it in? A power cord and a power supply is extra... It doesn't make sense at all.

Upvote 0
We just need to see the reviews and go from there.

I still don't get why they want to muddy the water with two options 'nobbled' or 'full power'.
I'm guessing that the new DD Lite will be replacing the belt-drive bases altogether. The 5Nm version as a replacement for the CSL range and the 8Nm version for the next higher CS range.
That'll allow them to streamline the eco-system so they have entry level, midrange and top tier (Podium) ranges, and will at the same time establish Fanatec as the premier mass produced sim hardware company, who only offer DD equipment.
Logitech were always entry level, in many ways very toy-like ( but hey, my first wheel was a G27), I don't think it'll bother them too much, sim hardware is only a small part of their business.
But Thrustmaster will have to up their game. The new junior DD wheel has instantly made the TS-PC and TS-XW range much too expensive for what you get, or at least will when it becomes available towards the end of 2021.
It'll be interesting to see how TM reacts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why do you think Fanatec would market a wheelbase at 349 but it's not a wheelbase you can actually use because you can't plug it in?
USB-C is capable of providing up to 100 Watts; e.g. if it includes a supercapacitor to handle peaks, many users would not need to bother with another power dongle.

I anticipate increased interest in adapters for TM wheels to Fanatec wheelbase.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Perhaps the 5Nm is to replace CSL and the 8Nm upgrade is to replace CSW. The only thing is that isn't a CSW a step-up in quality more than just a force increase?

They might then introduce a new 'mid-range' product around 14Nm.

Upvote 0
Perhaps the 5Nm is to replace CSL and the 8Nm upgrade is to replace CSW. The only thing is that isn't a CSW a step-up in quality more than just a force increase?

They might then introduce a new 'mid-range' product around 14Nm.
I'm not sure that would be a good idea: the concept of entry level, midrange and top end is perfect for marketing purposes, and easy to understand. Haveing a forth range would just confuse people imo.

Upvote 0
I know what you mean.

So the new one is considered entry level (5-8Nm), they will then bring out a new mid range around 14Nm and that leave the podiums as high end?

I still think people will end up spending more money than £350 for the CSL DD as they will always go for the 8Nm power pack. Human nature. Even desk users would go for the 8Nm and just dial down the force if needed won't they.

Obviously if they try to charge an additional £100 for the 8Nm that confuses the buyers choice quite a bit.

I guess they just can't get it under £400 for the 8Nm?

Makes you wonder what's going on in the power brick that forces them down this path. Can it really cost that much more that it warrants such dilution of their message? Imagine the impact of '8Nm Direct Drive for £349.99' or perhaps £374.99?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 106 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 139 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 199 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 381 28.2%