What's Going On WIth Fanatec ?

Does anyone know what is going on with Fanatec kit (UK) at the moment ? Just been on their site to order a CSL Elite starter wheel /base but only two podium bundles available, no CSL or Clubsport bases or bundles at all. I like reading about the hardware reviews on RD but where are you all getting this kit from ???

That price. I'm curious to see how it stacks up against the 'big boys' in terms of speed and fidelity and thus how wide a market it will cover.

Upvote 0
Capture+_2021-04-21-23-05-10.png
Capture+_2021-04-21-23-05-47.png
Capture+_2021-04-21-23-06-01.png

Who are intrested in the new csl dd wheel. Its on pair whit the csw 2.5 and cheaper.

Upvote 0
Claims for carbon fiber rotor shaft are silly; shafts contribute little inertia.
Perhaps it reduces cost; maintaining tolerances and minimizing wear would seem challenging..
If their carbon fiber were non-conductive, it would prevent motor shaft currents...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I hate to say I told you all so.
It was obvious they were releasing a new wheelbase because they heavily discounted bundles with the CSL.

Next time corporations use general "Due to (event relevant at the time like stuck ships or pandemic), we have issues with manufacturing" responses, don't run around singing that song like a parrot and try to think for yourself.

Upvote 0
Manufacturers are running out of chips... i know at least 4 factories that already placed production on hold as the chip shortage is getting worse... who knew a tiny $5 part can hold a multimillion production line...

A big semiconductor factory burnt down a few months ago which has led to a shortage and backlog of many ic's , my work has had to put a new product on hold because of not being able to get a certain ic and with no available eta , how long this will go on for is unknown.

also, fanatec has been selling a ton more units than usual not just cause of 'rona, but most of the us just got a free $1400 check recently. I know just about everyone that I watch on twitch that didnt have a dd, has ordered or recieved a new dd base in the past month.
*Buzzer sound* wrong...

You know sometimes the "tin foil" people are not conspiracy theorists but just... theorists? A hypothesis isn't always a bad thing... I would think Thanos of all people would understand that sometimes educated guesses are valid.

@blekenbleu
Carbon fiber composite has half the density (weight) versus aluminum and 1/4 the weight of steel. It's probably to reduce weight so less power can be needed to drive the same torque. That's my guess.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Carbon fiber composite has half the density (weight) versus aluminum and 1/4 the weight of steel. It's probably to reduce weight so less power can be needed to drive the same torque. That's my guess.
That shaft has extremely low rotational mass comparing to even the lightest steering wheel. Not sure how moving from metal to carbon fiber is going to help with anything in that specific application.

Happy to see this development, would be interesting to see how the rest of the market reacts to that, esp. GD.

Upvote 0
Claims for carbon fiber rotor shaft are silly; shafts contribute little inertia.
Perhaps it reduces cost; maintaining tolerances and minimizing wear would seem challenging..
If their carbon fiber were non-conductive, it would prevent motor shaft currents...

That shaft has extremely low rotational mass comparing to even the lightest steering wheel. Not sure how moving from metal to carbon fiber is going to help with anything in that specific application.

Happy to see this development, would be interesting to see how the rest of the market reacts to that, esp. GD.
Carbon fiber has more tensile strength than aluminum, but it's quite susceptible to heat damage. Its heat transfer and resistance properties are quite mediocre. Also curing carbon fiber to make it at least "somewhat" resistant to heat is necessary, and bad curing can lead to warping even under mild heat conditions.

But for shearing strength, weight, it's better than aluminum, but more expensive. I wonder if Fanatec manufactures their own carbon fiber? I would be interested in hearing if it has advantages or not or if it's just marketing tech speak lol.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Carbon fiber driveshafts are used in automotive, but their primarily benefit is that in case of failure they shatter into pieces without causing additional damage to car components or injuries.
Think it's more of a marketing than anything functionally useful here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
*Buzzer sound* wrong...

You know sometimes the "tin foil" people are not conspiracy theorists but just... theorists? A hypothesis isn't always a bad thing... I would think Thanos of all people would understand that sometimes educated guesses are valid.

Excuse me. What conspiracy theory? Talking facts. Happening to my electronic designs and with vendors I work with, as we talk right now. I was forced to use alternative more expensive chips because of shortage of the usual ones I was using before. Can't find STM32F4 modules for my TDD controller anymore either, these run out a few months ago, my large order was canceled as they could not manufacture it!!! And the factory that makes the AASD servo drives, that my motion controllers use, can't source any more of that special TI 32bit microprocessor they use in it, soon to be extinct if the chip shortage continues.

Can't even dare to design new circuits anymore before I check there will be enough stock of each chip these days... I wish it was conspiracy but its plain reality my friend. I never speculate, and if I sometimes talk in generic tone is to keep our dear customers from panic buying, they don't really need to worry with such details.

Upvote 0
would be interesting to see how the rest of the market reacts to that, esp. GD
Indeed, appreciably reducing costs wants a high torque motor with low rotational inertia,
which may not need to be industrial but still substantially durable. Feel VR took a run at that using
what appears to have been based on a ceiling fan motor, but large diameter adds rotational inertia.
To amortize a fully custom motor wants a substantial sales volume, which
Thrustmaster or Logitech would seem more likely than Granite Devices to manage.

Perhaps Fanatec's motor shaft is integrated with part of their steering wheel hub..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Seems a bit odd to launch with a low price point heavily promoted and then sting people for more money to get full power when it will cost them a few pounds extra to make. :unsure:

This is me just guessing at this point. We shall see.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 139 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 197 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 381 28.3%